PDA

View Full Version : Foreshortening

Elian
08-16-2007, 04:14 AM
Does anybody know of any online tutorials that deal with this, particularly in relation to plants

Elian

SunsetSue
08-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Try doing a search there is a wealth of information on this site, and many tutorials on various subjects.

C_Line
08-16-2007, 01:56 PM
I just read a nice article here: http://www.artistsmagazine.com/article.asp?id=1390 regarding foreshortening in general. The same principle applies no matter what your subject, to quote from the article: "The key to accurate foreshortening lies in drawing what you see, not what you think you see." I hope this helps a little.

Charlie's Mum
08-16-2007, 04:30 PM
...... and the best way to study it is to draw from life rather than an image.
Being able to study the plant (or anything) in the round helps enormously.
Light and shade also plays a big part ... shading behind, e.g. makes the piece in front stand out and come forward.

Laura D
08-16-2007, 06:38 PM
Elian, I don't know of any tutorials, sorry. From experience I know you have to do what Celeste has mentioned - forget what you are looking at and paint what you see. Shape and value are what I concentrate on. What is it you are painting/drawing?

ranunkel
08-19-2007, 06:13 PM
I have this book mark. It's a short general tutorial about foreshortening.
http://learn-how-to-draw-now.com/Foreshortening-Part-1.html

Elian
08-19-2007, 08:32 PM
Thanks everyone - especially Mariane for the link which I think will fit the bill nicely:wave:

It's not for me - I was trying to help someone on another drawing forum
and rather than tie myself up in knots trying to explain the technique, it seemed easier to direct them to a decent basic tutorial.

Although looking at the parrot tulips I'm attempting I could do with a refresher as they keep twisting, turning and opening before I'm ready :eek:

Eliean

Elian
08-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Forgot to add I was shown the Da Vinci window technique on Saturday - is anyone familiar with this?

This is where you place your subject behind a pane of upright glass. Then holding the glass, draw what you see through the glass onto the glass in black felt pen, then trace to paper from the glass.

It is supposed to help with understanding the principles of foreshortening

Elian

Laura D
08-20-2007, 01:43 AM
I've never heard of it Elian but wow! That's a great idea!

Fozbot
08-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Elian, what an amazing bit of info! thanks! i'd never have thought of that in a million years. brilliant!