PDA

View Full Version : Please help with paper advice/suggestions

BasLoki
08-14-2007, 10:49 PM
Greetings fellow artists,
I just started experimenting with oil pastels. I like to use water colors as well. recently I started using both together in the same piece of work, but I use some cheap paper I bought at CVS. I would like to use some professional grade paper in which I could use both watercolors and my oil pastels in the same painting. Can anyone recommend a good, heavy weight, acid free, white paper that will work for my mixed media? I really, really appreciate your help. Thank you very much in advance.

lacey sprocket
08-15-2007, 12:34 AM
Watercolor paper works for ops as well. I'd suggest coating your paper with gesso first if you are using ops and would like archival results, as there is some debate about whether the oils will letch out into the paper and cause it to crumble or not. I use bristol vellum, as it's quite thick, but I wouldn't know how well watercolor would handle on that surface. Welcome to wc! :wave: I hope we'll get to see some of your work here. The weekly pastel sketch thread in the pastel talk forum is a great spot to check out, as well.

Pat Isaac
08-15-2007, 07:32 AM
I"d use regular watercolor paper such as Arches 140 lb cold pressed. This works well for both mediums. If you wanted a slightly sanded surface you could give it a coat of clear gesso.

Pat

LJW
08-15-2007, 09:02 AM
Welcome to Wet Canvas and the Oil Pastel forum. You can also use Artspectrum Colourfix or Wallis papers, as they are designed to take wet mediums as well as dry. Colourfix is available in board form as well as paper form. Jane

AnnieA
08-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Everyone seems to have offered good advice here. I have nothing to add except to welcome you to the Oil Pastel Forum, BasLoki! :wave: I hope you'll post some of your work soon!!!

BasLoki
08-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Hello everyone,
Thank you very much for your responses. Your suggestions are very valuable to me. I appreciate it. And thank you for being so welcoming. Let me get some paper then we'll see what I can create to post.

Thanks again,
BasLoki