PDA

View Full Version : "Trouble Ahead" WIP, and I'm insane!!

PatrickHedges
08-14-2007, 08:03 PM
Ok, I'm sick of water droplets.

12" x 9" black scratchboard

This is from a combination of references. The spider's web is my own. I took a photo of it at Rotorua in New Zealand a few years ago. Rotorua is a place where there are some amazing hot springs and bubbling mud, and it's very damp, so whilst the web looks to have morning dew on it, it can be like this all day there. It's actually called "Whakarewarewa", a thermal village.

I'm hoping the bee swerves away at the last second, but hey, everything has to eat, so you can write your own story on this.

The bee isn't finished and the spider's web is going to be bigger.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2007/60252-Trouble_ahead_compressed.jpg

Two details showing how lacking in technique I really am, although I'm working tiny and with a needle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2007/60252-Trouble_ahead_crop_01.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2007/60252-Trouble_ahead_crop_02.jpg

roger41
08-14-2007, 08:34 PM
This looks amazing! so far Patrick...I'll def be watching. this..I've never tried scratchboard before.

Roger

LWaterfield
08-14-2007, 08:49 PM
This is a wonderful piece Patrick- my only complaint is with your comment about your "lack of technique". You have a fine hand, good eye for detail, contrast and composition, a mastery of your medium, and a nice way with a story- all great techniques!
Will you be adding color or will you stay with B&W? Nice highlight on the bee's thorax- I can't wait to see how you handle the bee's wings...
I'll bet you ARE tired of water droplets...

And I was fascinated by Rotorua on a visit a few years ago- what a great country NZ is...Aus is on my list of Must See Places...

SparrowHawk7
08-14-2007, 09:11 PM
What an interesting drawing (scratching). Excellent technique!

FaeLynn
08-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Yep, I like this one too! Full of detail and drama :-) I wanna see what spun that web! lol.
Keep up the good work!

slaterza
08-14-2007, 11:42 PM
Definitely not the usual piece. I look forward to seeing how you finish this one off as well.

hidy
08-15-2007, 01:23 AM
Yep, im afraid you are quite mad too Patrick.....but good mad of course. How could you not want to draw this kind of thing? Im glad you are mad, keep it up :)

artinthebush
08-15-2007, 01:30 AM
"Oh, what a tangled web we weave
When first we practice to deceive
But when we've practiced for a while
How vastly we improve our style!"

~ J.R. Pope, A Word of Encouragement:
http://www.mindspring.com/~boba4/Perish.html

Words of encouragement from a fellow human.

NickyW
08-15-2007, 02:26 AM
Hehe, Yep insane is right, Patrick!!!!! Cant wait to see it finished..Its lookin' good. Well done.

judwah2000
08-15-2007, 08:02 AM
This is lovely! You've gotten such wonderful form in the bee and the water droplets.... It really is a gorgeous piece....

Smiles,
Jude

Chisaii
08-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Lacking in technique? Me thinks not!!

Mad? Yes. Insane? No more than the rest of us!

Very kool!! Eager to see this completed!

jody007
08-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Wow Patrick this one is off to a beautiful start! You know I am watching.
Jody

tanianault
08-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Saw this over in Scratchboard forum. I think it's stunning! I particularly like the little hairs and the highlights on the harder segments of the bee's abdomen - so very bee-like.

And your drive to produce is enviable - really - you make me feel like a sloth :)

- Tania

winecountry
08-15-2007, 04:28 PM
I love the composition Patrick..just beautiful use of the space and lovely scratching!
colleen

Naomi21
08-15-2007, 05:32 PM
The first thing I thought was just... wowie!
I would not even dare to start at something like this :D .

This looks so amazing, and it isn't even finished yet. I think the result will be so impressive :) !

pinups
08-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Looking good and such an unusual subject and setting. Always raising the standards mate! Good on ya!

PatrickHedges
08-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks you so much. There's been some lovely comments, and some funny ones too.

I'm kinda in the home strait now. Not sure if I've almost finished or if I'm going to go in the direction you can see here where I'm going to add some suggested detail to the lower background. I'm going to have a try, and if it looks lousy, I'll re-ink and varnish to cover that up. I'll treat that area as an experiment and see what happens.

BTW, with some parts of the web, you can see the strands, but on most of it you can't, so in these places I've let the droplets be the only visible sign that a web is there. I thought that would be more realistic.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2007/60252-Trouble_ahead_02.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2007/60252-Trouble_ahead_02_crop_bee.jpg

jody007
08-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Wow Patrick that Bee looks magnificent!!! I am still watching!
Jody

PatrickHedges
08-16-2007, 05:38 AM
Thanks Jody :)

Here's an update. Just want some opinions. I used the brush to get a sort of hanging moss feel as Whakarewarewa is full of it. Is it a good idea? Or not?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2007/60252-Trouble_ahead_2007_Compressed.jpg

Jomitzi
08-16-2007, 06:08 AM
Hi Patrick, fantastic work, you blow me away with your attention to detail. I dont think you need the moss though, I would leave it at the branches so the web and bee is the focal point, but that is just my opinion.:)
Jo

slaterza
08-16-2007, 06:24 AM
Hey Patrick great job so far, the details on the bee look great. I think I agree with Jo the moss is more of a distraction and not a real necissity. It tends to draw the eye up to that corner and looses some of the drama of the original focus, so in my opion I would lose it as well.

mgwilson59
08-16-2007, 07:26 AM
Great work Patrick! Can't wait to see the finished piece.

Monte

flyfisherflyfisher1
08-16-2007, 07:51 AM
Great work! I vote no moss and another bee:thumbsup: :clap: :clap:
Pete

gourdburner
08-16-2007, 08:40 AM
Wow! This is awesome. Can't wait to see the finished piece.

Rose Baggs
08-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Awesome work Patrick! I vote for "no moss".
Explaining my vote. Your piece is already full of information and detail...simplyfing a little bit here is the best option...so you don't make your fans dizzy looking everywhere to get the whole piece...Lol...
Sometimes I think I'm the Queen of the clutter because I start giving all the elements in a piece the same importance...then I rethink..sometimes I come back to the first simplified idea. Lol..
Choose a main Focus point and leave the rest subdued.
Again...you have a great piece here!!!! :)

LWaterfield
08-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Your piece is looking incredible Patrick:thumbsup: !
You certainly have a way with scratchboard.
I hate to say it, but I agree with the moss comments- I prefer your piece without the distraction of the moss. Leaving that area smooth & black puts the focus/emphasis on the bee, and the emptiness contrasts nicely with the high detail on the bee. But- can you "go back"? Not having tried scratchboard, I wouldn't know how to re-ink an area.

tanianault
08-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Patrick: I'm thinking "no moss." While it's indicative of place, I think it throws off the composition and I'm not sure it adds anything to the story: "Once upon a time, a bee was attempting to avoid giant spider web when..."

And I'm completely taken in by our little hero in his fuzzy waistcoat! Love it!

- Tania

PatrickHedges
08-19-2007, 09:48 AM
Thanks very much everyone. It's been an interesting experience. I've learnt that while I do have patience, I also come up with a 'brilliant' idea and go headlong in, like a bull at a gate. The moss was such an idea. I didn't really think too highly of it either but wanted to learn. However, having done it, I'd made such a mess of the surface of the board that even when I re-inked, it looked awful. I varnished it and it still looked bad, so the result is a disguise for that area. I've added leaves and muted them so they disguise the surface but don't dominate.

We live and learn. Live by the wire brush, perish by the wire brush :lol:

So this is finished as it won't handle anymore butchering :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2007/60252-Trouble_ahead_2007_compressed.jpg

Rip into it guys :lol:

armelle018
08-19-2007, 10:04 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sangreaal
08-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Absolutely incredible, Patrick! I just love details in a pic and you never disappoint. :thumbsup: The first moss I wasn't all that fond of due to the flatness of the start, but I could see how it could add another element of depth to your piece if worked a little more. Again, you didn't disappoint me...the moss/foliage in the finished work added the depth I was hoping to see without being a distraction.

When I was a young photographer I was obsessed with dew on spiderwebs. Took gazillions of pics as well as drawing them. Everywhere. My first spiderweb was drawn on a hall wall under the telephone shelf at the age of 4. Even with all of that practice, I still can't draw as brilliant a dewdropped web as you have created here. And the bee is simply lovely.

Kudos, Patrick!

Marie

jody007
08-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Wow Patrick this turned out magnificent!!!! I love it!
Jody

PatrickHedges
08-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks Jody :)

Marie, really appreciate that. The dew is really interesting, but tests the patience :lol:

Armelle, thanks. Wonderful website you have