PDA

View Full Version : Daylilies

SunsetSue
08-13-2007, 06:14 PM
This is also an older painting, oil on back gesso, poor photography, though. It is 11 X 14 canvas. Any tips or hints for me on this one?http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2007/10094-Day_Lilies_small.jpg

debsn2paintn
08-13-2007, 08:14 PM
It's a very pretty composition and the colors are nice but to me the one in the back should maybe be darker and not so sharp. But this is just my opinion, I hop e it helps :)

valchina612
08-14-2007, 06:04 AM
This is a lovely painting Sue, with beautiful colours, but I agree that the flower in front would be casting a shadow on the flower behind, and this would set it more in to the background. It's a very pretty painting. :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

marionh
08-14-2007, 06:12 AM
I like the colours and composition. I agree it would benefit from some shadows, especially on the back flower and the leaf behind the front flower.
Also I feel that the centre of the front flower should be a bit darker to give it some depth. Hope this helps.
Marion

SunsetSue
08-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Thanks again Deb, Val and Marion. I see exactly what you mean about the values and shadowing the flower that is behind. I may redo these on a larger canvas, as I love painting the lilies. All your comments help me become a better artist, and I appreciate that.

Charlie's Mum
08-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Hi Sue - the others have said it!
I agree!
I think also, that toning down the back flower would make the front one the focal point.
Do you like the solid black b/g:

Personally, I like a little subtle colouring in there to tie subject and ground together (still keeping it almost black).

But hey! It's an eye-catching painting - wow! :D

SunsetSue
08-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Hi Maureen, thanks for commenting. I do like the contrast of the bright florals against the black matte background, but I have been trying to get away from always doing it!! I probably started doing it in the beginning because I had a hard time with b/g's but now with more practice, it is not quite so difficult. I will do this one again soon and see what comes out now!

billmahler
08-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Sue

Are you by any chance a lefty?

I like this painting, but the right to left flow wasn't comfortable, so I tried flipping it and that feels better for me.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2007/111636-10094-Day_Lilies_small.jpg

What do you think?

jeanvrb
08-17-2007, 11:57 PM
Sue, the colors and shapes are very pretty and welll done, however, another way to push the smaller flower into the background would be to soften the edges. Right now you have soft edges on the flower in front and hard edges on the flower in the back. I do like the black background. I have never tried that.

Jeanette

SunsetSue
08-20-2007, 01:04 AM
Thanks for your comment Bill. No, I am not a lefty but I have been known to do things bass ackwards so it would not be a surprise if this was one of them.
Jeanette, thanks for your comment and helpful advice. I will keep it in mind if I do another of these.

Surfroney
08-25-2007, 07:35 AM
I think it is a lovely painting Sue. Beautiful colours and it is so fresh!
Froney

painterbear
08-25-2007, 08:11 AM
Sue,
If you are going to do this over, you might consider adding an unopened bud at the top to make a triangular composition with the flowers.

Day lilies grow on tall stems with graceful bending leaves, so you might consider adding stems to ground them a little also.

Your flowers are beautifully painted. My day lilies were gold and orange. I like your pink and white ones better. :D

Sylvia

coraco
08-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Very beautiful Daylilies Sue and gorgeous colors.:heart: The black b/g DOES make them pop. I like the comments of all our fellow artists too and am gleaning their sage advice for my own future paintings.
Well done one and all:clap: By-the-by: Noticed you sign off line. My hubby is a Marine (retired) and it reminds me of how whenever I get "stuck" doing a painting, he usually saunters through and says: "Improvise and overcome, Sweetie!" For some reason, that emboldens me to "get at it" and paint-through my stuck point.

Also, tell me the secret of shaded floral ripples (like in Sue's "White Iris") which I love too. :rolleyes:

SunsetSue
08-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Thanks Froney, I appreciate your comment. Sylvia, I like the idea of the bud, it will make the composition better. Thanks Coraco, there is a lot of useful information on this site isn't there? I have learned an amazing amount of things about painting since I joined. Do not wait as long as I did before posting a painting, it is not as scary as you might think. Both the Floral Forum and the Acrylics Forum are friendly, welcoming places to post.