PDA

View Full Version : Stargazers

SunsetSue
08-13-2007, 06:10 PM
This is a floral I did quite a while ago, just wanted to show it in here where it might be appreciated!! I think the lilies need a bit more depth, it has always bothered me. This is oil on black gesso and 20 X 24. Please tell me what you think as I would like to do this one again in acrylics if the composition is good.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2007/10094-Two_Lilies.jpg

debsn2paintn
08-13-2007, 08:16 PM
I really like the composition of this one too, but I can't really tell which one (flower) is closer because they both look so much alike. Very pretty colors against that dark background, I like it.

C_Line
08-13-2007, 11:35 PM
I like this Sue very much. I think when you do it in acrylics, it would be nice for the top opened bloom to be a tad darker maybe?

valchina612
08-14-2007, 09:05 AM
Sue, this is a lovely painting, but both flowers are the same value, and you need a Leading Lady. Every floral painting needs a leading lady, or focal flower, and in this painting it would be the bottom one that is facing us full on. Instead of having the leaf overlapping the top petal on the bottom flower, it would be better compositionally if that leaf overlapped the bottom petal on the top flower. Add shadow to the top flower to push it behind the Leading Lady. I hope you can follow what I'm saying. I love your colours and it only needs a few small adjustments to be a great painting. I love the curls you've got in the petals. :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

SunsetSue
08-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Thank you Deb, Celeste and Val. I see exactly what you mean and I will try to correct the values, if not in this painting then for sure when I do the acrylic version. Val, I will keep in mind your 'Leading Lady' when doing florals, it just makes sense to me, thanks for all your comments, they will be immensely valuable. As this was done in oils and is definitely dry now, can I go back and add more paint to it to make changes?