PDA

View Full Version : Pink Lilies

marionh
08-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Great to have a new forum ad I thought that I would share my latest painting which I was going to post in the acrylic forum.
It's on 40x40cm box canvas with a black gesso background. Now that I have photographed it I can see that the bud needs more shadow and needs pushing into the background. Any other comments and crits greatfully received.
The reference is a composite from my own photos which can be found in the library here =http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=52674&cat=500&ppuser=42113
I have one question - Is black gesso light fast or should I actually use a black acrylic. Come to that should I add colour to the background?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2007/42113-Untitled-1.jpg
Marion

Gilberte
08-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Wow, just wonderful !
Can't help about the gesso issue though.

Lady Carol
08-13-2007, 01:03 PM
You are permitted to cross-post it to one other forum, so you can post in acrylics if you wanted to.

It is funny how seeing a painting via another method such as photography can bring out errors, like you saw with the bud.

I tend not to paint with black as it seems to deaded other colours around it, but if I want a colour close to black then I mix my own, that way I can make it warm or cool depending on what else is going on.

Charlie's Mum
08-13-2007, 01:21 PM
I think black b'kgrounds can be very effective - but I'd mix my own and add other, subtle variations ...... did it with some sunflowers a couple of years ago.

The lilies are very nice Marion - lovely colours - and I always find the mistakes once I scan or photograph and upload!! :lol:

bayoudragon
08-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Beautiful! Just beautiful! :)

And as far as the gesso goes, I'm not sure if all brands are lightfast...

But I use Golden's, and on the jar it says, "...with excellent flexibility and chemcial, water, and UV resistance." So it appears this brand has some form of lightfastness, you may have to check yours. For me, I don't take things like lightfastness for granted. If it doesn't say it on the jar, I contact the company and ask. :)

SunsetSue
08-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Beautiful. I love the high contrast.

valchina612
08-14-2007, 05:59 AM
Really beautiful colours Marion. I love dark backgrounds, and used to use black quite often, but I tend to go for Dark Greens now, or other darker colours that suit the florals I've painted. But this is a stunning painting. I'm sorry I can't answer your gesso question though. :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

Mikki Petersen
08-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Thank you for sharing. It's a beauty!

Mikki

marionh
08-16-2007, 11:18 AM
Thank you all for your encouragement. I've e-mailed the gesso supplier to ask. But its a Pebeo gesso who I think generally only do student/craft grade so I think I've answered my own question and will probably do the background in acrylic.

Marion

jeanvrb
01-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Thank you all for your encouragement. I've e-mailed the gesso supplier to ask. But its a Pebeo gesso who I think generally only do student/craft grade so I think I've answered my own question and will probably do the background in acrylic.

Marion
Hi Marion, enjoyed viewing your post which was linked from the Floral Open Exhibition. Very pretty colors. So, did you get an answer back from gesso supplier?

marionh
01-20-2008, 04:59 AM
posted twice

marionh
01-20-2008, 04:59 AM
Thank you Jeanette.
No I never did get an answer, so I painted over the background in dark purple just to make sure. It is hardly noticable that it's not black.

debsn2paintn
01-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Very beautiful Marion, I like the light and shadows!

eskielady
01-22-2008, 11:40 PM
Will you repost the picture with the purple background for comparison - this is a stunning painting.
Lynda