PDA

View Full Version : Portrait demonstration from France

aldobalding
07-16-2007, 07:13 PM
I thought I would try to post a demo that I did recently that may or may not be of interest.Perhaps I should have photographed it earlier as the first stage was after an hour or so.It was painted oil on canvas.

I have further works on www.aldobalding.com (http://www.aldobalding.com)

villi
07-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Great! I especially like the hands, they're wonderful, so detailed and life-like. And you obviously have fun in the process, with the free-flowing strokes in the underlayers that are then tamed in the final layers, but the life underneath shows through!

aldobalding
07-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Thankyou Villi,

I just try to paint the shapes the tones and colours make.There is little detail close up.

Aldo

krpolak
07-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Nice mate. I like you loose style as well as well observation on light. Thanks for wip.

Regards,

K.Polak

alvin
07-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Wow, brilliant work. thanks for the demo. Top notch skill, wish to be that good someday.

mcarter
07-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Exceptional work Albo! As is the work on your website. It is very interesting to see the way you work too. I'm particularly interested by the blocking out of the large planes with little drawing detail. Not the way I work at all.
Can you tell me have you used live models to sit? Do you take photos? and do you paint them in the studio and add the setting later?
cheers,
Matthew

bock
07-17-2007, 12:45 AM
Beautiful! Amazing how you pulled that out of there! Thanks for the neat WIP!

Pat

Wassie
07-17-2007, 02:27 AM
I thought I would try to post a demo that I did recently that may or may not be of interest....

It most certainly is of interest. I like the way you progressed. And, those hands! ... Well, they are just awesome!

JParker
07-17-2007, 02:46 AM
Wow!
Excellent work.
Great demo and the hands are special!
Jerome

mc53
07-17-2007, 03:21 AM
Fabulous work
I had a look at your web site also, I really like your style.

Dea
07-17-2007, 04:05 AM
When I looked at the thumbnails lined up at the bottom of your post I thought the last one was a reference photo until I opened it up, Awesome painting thanks for showing us,
Deanna.

aldobalding
07-17-2007, 06:55 AM
Exceptional work Albo! As is the work on your website. It is very interesting to see the way you work too. I'm particularly interested by the blocking out of the large planes with little drawing detail. Not the way I work at all.
Can you tell me have you used live models to sit? Do you take photos? and do you paint them in the studio and add the setting later?
cheers,
Matthew

Thankyou Matthew,

I always paint from life with portraits,although this sometimes means doing a portrait sketch in oils 2-3 hours.Then lots of photos and work on a larger version at my studio.I use a background that is already there.
There has been a few exceptions a couple of times with children where I have had to use my own photos.

With figures in settings I can replace or edit backgrounds as long as the light source is the same.

There are differences between working from photos and life,colours,tone(the lightest and darkest tones merge together in photos)
and edges.

aldo

jocelynsart
07-17-2007, 08:26 AM
Hi Aldo: Been a big fan of your work for a few years, since I discovered it one day.
Welcome here!
Wonderful, inspiring wip.
Jocelyn

midcoast
07-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Beautiful! Love the paintings on your website as well. Your loose style is very eye-catching!

Nancy

atont
07-17-2007, 04:09 PM
terrific. Nicely done. I envy your abilities! :clap:

Wrichards
07-17-2007, 04:55 PM
nice style! nice moments captured on your website pictures. great eye for portraying characters in a sceen :)

thollis
07-17-2007, 06:40 PM
the hands are phenomenal! I honestly debated whether you may have manipulated a photo in painter or photoshop to get the final! Great work!

LGHumphrey
07-17-2007, 06:57 PM
What great work!

(btw, I think the first 2 pictures are in the wrong order.)

aldobalding
07-17-2007, 08:14 PM
As the hands seem to be popularI have included a detail of them.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2007/111872-Hands.jpg

larubia
07-18-2007, 08:39 AM
YA!!! Echo all that is said above....you are really talented!

TTHOMPIE
07-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Wonderful ! Thanks for showing us.

You've got my mind spinning.....and that's a good thing. :)

Dana Design
07-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Good to see you here! I have your website amongst my "Favorites"!
Thanks much for the process. Superb painting and I love to see how others go about getting there.

jhercilia
07-18-2007, 02:32 PM
All your paintings are awesome.

aldobalding
07-19-2007, 05:12 AM
Thankyou for your comments.I am amazed at the breadth of them from Iceland
to Australia.

Bob Rooney
07-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Very well done. Thanks for the demo.

Gilberte
07-20-2007, 03:21 PM
Wow...

SusanEleven
07-21-2007, 02:35 AM
Thank you for posting this as a WIP.
You are very accomplished and your website is wonderful. I recognize your work from International Artist. Congratulations on that!

aldobalding
07-25-2007, 08:29 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jul-2007/111872-Head_detail.jpg

Gilberte
07-25-2007, 09:47 AM
Again ... masterful !

You don't see the eyes, nostrils, mouth but they're actually there...

Naturegyrll
07-25-2007, 12:05 PM
Fantastic. How long did the entire piece take? I would have noodled over it for months...sigh.

aldobalding
07-25-2007, 12:14 PM
It took 2-3 days to paint,a day or so to decide on the pose,the design etc.
Half way through I decided to change the hands,as you can see on the demo.
It measures 32" x 24 "

I am trying to take longer over my paintings as looking back at them,they could have been better.

LGHumphrey
07-25-2007, 02:10 PM
I am trying to take longer over my paintings as looking back at them,they could have been better.

EVERYTHING could have been better, including Rembrandt's portrait of his son Titus, but I think you should continue to paint at the rhythm that feels comfortable for you. Don't overwork things, you're doing SO well as is.

OziAfricana
07-25-2007, 08:44 PM
EVERYTHING could have been better, including Rembrandt's portrait of his son Titus, but I think you should continue to paint at the rhythm that feels comfortable for you. Don't overwork things, you're doing SO well as is.

I agree totally!!

alvin
07-26-2007, 02:43 AM
Hi Aldo,

I noticed that on some parts (ie. the right hand and the white shirt against the dark sweat shirt) seem to have this sharp edge/contrast. Whereas on the lower left quadrant of the painting, the black shirt seems to blend with the background. It's brilliant! I love how it leads my eyes to look at certain parts of the painting. Is this what is called edging? and is there a rule that you follow for this or is it just something that you decide along the way? Sorry for all these questions, I'm quite ignorant to art terminology :) .

Thanks,
Alvin

aldobalding
07-26-2007, 05:30 AM
I love how it leads my eyes to look at certain parts of the painting. Is this what is called edging? and is there a rule that you follow for this or is it just something that you decide along the way? Sorry for all these questions, I'm quite ignorant to art terminology .

When I looked at the image in front of me I always squint,all the superfluous edges disappear and the harder edges remain.If you squint even more just the hardest edges remain.I look for the hardest edge as my key point, trying to keep the variety that is there.Like music,if all the notes are played with the same strength it is boring.There is a hierarchy,same with colour.I think it is the subtle use of edges that gives a painting that extra ingredient.

Have a look at Anders Zorn, whose work shows great edges that I have attached.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jul-2007/111872-zorn_detail.jpg

jocelynsart
07-26-2007, 08:51 AM
I love that Zorn piece; fantastic edges.

alvin
07-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Got it, I think I understand what you mean. Yes, these subtle changes in edge and color really make an impact on the painting. Now if I can only apply that the next time I paint :). I always squinted naturally but didn't know exactly why or that it was common practice.

Zorn is one of my favorites, I love this example.

Thanks so much Aldo. I feel like I've connected some dots together and found new ones to connect.

jocelynsart
07-26-2007, 11:05 AM
Also, I think I originally found your portrait work on commissionaportrait.com
My favourite one I cannot find right now. It was a girl in a square picture plane I think, with a grey blue or light background, with her arms folded in front of her I think. She had brown long hair pulled up and there were whisps and curls of it around her face. My other favs of yours are Rebecca and Saskia. I really like your self portrait as well.
Anyway, I long ago added your work to my list of inspirational painters.
Jocelyn

aldobalding
07-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Thankyou Jocelyn, I am not sure which one it is,there are two Rebecca portraits,my daughter, 2-3 years apart.Or perhaps it was Isobel,attached.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jul-2007/111872-10.jpg

jocelynsart
07-26-2007, 02:05 PM
It's the girl with the dark red hair, in pony tails, I think it is called Rebecca.
There was another one but I cannot find it. Maybe I am recalling a different artist but I am pretty sure it was yours. It was a square composition, hands folded on something in fornt of her, a lsightly Greek or European looking young woman. Maybe I saved it to look at when I want to be inspired, as I sometimes do with the odd portrait I run across. I'll look and see.

If it is ok, here is one of my favourites of yours.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jul-2007/8354-aldosrebecca.jpg

Jocelyn

Surfroney
07-28-2007, 10:25 AM
Fantastic Aldo. Everything including the hands!

soap
07-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Inspiring, fantastic work. Thanks very much for showing here. Enjoyed your website and recognized your work from seeing it elsewhere.
Please stay around and let us learn from your work - post more!

aldobalding
07-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Inspiring, fantastic work. Thanks very much for showing here. Enjoyed your website and recognized your work from seeing it elsewhere.
Please stay around and let us learn from your work - post more!

Dank u zeer !,I am more than happy to help.

I have recently visited Rotterdam and Amsterdam,on a portrait commission.I loved Amsterdam in particular.
I have a staged portrait of that commission I could post.

I met an artist there whose work I like,that I found we had a lot in common,he is the husband of Saskia Siebers who is my portrait agent in Holland.They were both really welcoming on my first visit there.His website is www.frans-koppelaar.nl/ The portrait agency website is http://www.portretinopdracht.nl/

Sally C
07-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Aldo, I checked out your website, you have some very exciting work there. Thankyou for posting your WIP, it's really interesting to see the way you have worked this throughout. You capture great emotion in your portraits, and the shadows are mysterious and intriguing. Very very exciting work.

soap
07-30-2007, 05:01 AM
Hi Aldo
Thanks for those links! Looks great. Amsterdam is lovely, isn't it. I lived there for 5 years when I was studying.
Hope to see more of your work here soon.

larubia
07-30-2007, 10:40 AM
Really love your skin tones! Wow wish I could work as fast and confidantly..find your demo very impressive! Thankyou for showing it....something to aspire to!

Lauren F-M
08-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks, Aldo! :clap: :clap:

Loved the WIP shots -- it's a wonderful portrait. The subject seems to be thinking deep thoughts; kind of absorbed in thought.

Just wondering if you posed him to reflect this mood, or were you posing him this way to portray his personality?

Palette: was it the same as the skintones used for the accordian player?

Cheers, Lauren :wave:

anneasel
08-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Don't take too long on your painting-- you can end up noodling a painting to death. The loose brushwork is lovely. Like some who posted earlier on this thread, I too thot the last thumbnail was the photo ref until I clicked on it and then remembered you said you did this from life. Awesome!

capricorne
08-12-2007, 05:43 AM
great skills Aldo! Outstanding:thumbsup:

silverblue
08-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Thank you, Aldo, it's a real treat not only to see your finished work, but to see the progression as you painted this work.

What I especially like about your work is the story embedded in each painting. Your paintings and portraits feel deeply personal; they engage me (the viewer) as if I am right there with the subject, as if they are each a passing moment of my life. The self portrait with the palette is especially engaging, giving the viewer the sense of being the painting as it is painted.

Personally, I'd say go ahead and try taking more time with a painting, maybe even less, too. You can always return to working as you do now, and no matter what your result, you'll have learned something of value.

Thanks again for posting!

LynnDigby
08-26-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm so happy to have seen this! You are certainly a master, Aldo. It's such a pleasure to have you take the time to post your WIPs. Lord, it makes me feel humble!

Amazing fluency and sensitivity.

aldobalding
08-26-2007, 06:52 PM
Thankyou very much for your comments .I didn't see this thread was in the Portrait classroom until recently .

Regarding taking longer over my paintings , it seems to be improving the quality althought it is still early days yet . I normally paint at quite a speed , I am just thinking more before I apply the paint and trying to curb my
impatience to finish. I notice that some older paintings the colours and edges could have been a little more accurate . I am not really spending anymore hours on applying the paint , just trying to be disciplined to look more closely at what I am putting down .

cjorgensen
09-09-2007, 04:50 AM
When I saw the thumbnails, I thought the last one was a photo. These are amazing. :)

waterlily13
10-22-2007, 04:38 PM
thank you for sharing. That is why I joined this forum. I want so very much to learn to paint skilled and emotional portraits. You certainly have accomplished that.
vicki

mang
10-25-2007, 02:40 AM
Just great; thank you so much for sharing, please can you post more?
I love the way you work and your skill with oils
Your palette is great
What work did you exhibit at the BP portrait awards?

Looking forward to more!

aldobalding
10-25-2007, 06:53 AM
Just great; thank you so much for sharing, please can you post more?
I love the way you work and your skill with oils
Your palette is great
What work did you exhibit at the BP portrait awards?

Looking forward to more!

Thankyou everyone ,

"Marcus" was exhibited,it is on my website,the man with the goatee.
I didn't get in this year with my self portrait that was a demo here.

alka
11-03-2007, 03:23 PM
I thought I would try to post a demo that I did recently that may or may not be of interest.Perhaps I should have photographed it earlier as the first stage was after an hour or so.It was painted oil on canvas.

Hi
lovely work no words to express but enjoy from my heart

Marge Wms
11-21-2007, 08:15 AM
Hello Aldo.

Astonishing work! I'm in awe.

I'm new to art and am preparing to start taking a class in portraiture the first of January. It seems that most people have focused on the expert way you have rendered the hands in this demo.

My focus was quite different. My eye went directly to the pensive expression on the face of the man. He seems deep in thought and perhaps just a little sad.

I've looked at this painting very carefully and at the link posted in the last message.

There's a man preparing to paint who looks like the same one in the demo and I'm thinking it might be YOU. Tell me if I'm right?? Marge

aldobalding
11-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Yes Marge, you are right it is a self portrait. I am often deep in thought, so I am told, so I named it "Elsewhere"

Thankyou for your comments.

Sunny51
12-13-2007, 06:23 PM
I am SOOO inspired!!! and humbled!!!!

I spent some time at your website and am feeling fresh air blowing through my Being receiving not only the visual, but the atmosphere of energy in your paintings.
I just finished my second portrait (from a photo) last night, I learned so much, and have so much to learn!!! Studying your work is encouraging.

Thank y oufor the WIP demo, rich and helpful,

Sunny

Mr. Fox
12-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Wow! An awesome portrait!

Grasshopper
01-06-2008, 02:29 PM
I've had a longggg absence from Wet Canvas and seeing your work makes me realize how foolish that was; I could have better spent my time learning.

I'm going to be studying your work closely. I'm bound and determined I will be a portrait artist first and foremost. Your work is excellent. Thanks for being gracious enough to share. And that goes for everyone else, too.

photomemory
01-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Uh huh, I was going to say.. the hands looks so real! How did you manage to get the hands so they look like something from a photograph? Very good... i wud like to see you as you work. Nice piece Aldo!

musheng2008
04-03-2008, 04:38 AM

Very vivid and nice.Well done!

Mohamed Bata
04-04-2008, 06:50 PM
dear nice artist aldobalding

realy i like your very nice paintings

mohamed bata

http://artbata.jeeran.com/page.html

Degas2
04-18-2008, 10:51 PM
Inspiring

Jean Hildebrant
05-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Fabulous! It breathes! Wonderful color and values! Thank you for sharing your demo!

saltbush sally
05-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Great work Aldo, I would love to see your work eye ball to eye ball, you might say. Come over to Aus.. for a trip! cheers Yvonne

Yo!
05-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Well, Aldo, they've said it all already! Wonderful work! :thumbsup:

Regarding painting too quickly, too slowly etc ... I think you paint at the speed that you need to. So what if it "only" took you 2-3 days to paint? You've already spent your lifetime learning and practicing HOW to paint - that's a mighty big investment, and one of the reasons any good artist's mature work is more valuable.

With a lifetime's practice, most of us would still not be able to achieve your level of skill and proficiency, but that's OK - we all need something to aspire to!

Thanks for the inspiration!

my digital art (http://www.esnips.com/web/digitalartbyyahya)
selected fractals (http://www.esnips.com/webfolder/5226bf7e-2f1a-42cf-92d4-4bc208dc1b71)
Equation Art by Yahya (http://www.esnips.com/web/Equation-Art-by-Yahya)

AndyfromVienna
08-04-2008, 07:49 PM
lifting my hat to a true master here -

pls post every chance you get ......

cheers

Andy

patzg007
08-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Not only is the portrait well executed, the feeling it depicts is wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
Pat

Macy
11-11-2008, 01:55 PM
You are absolutely amazing. I would love to paint portraits like that - can you give me any advice on where to begin? Maybe what books I should study, the colors on your palette? The biggest problem I have is when I look at the shadows the colors seem to change.
I have been reading the book on Leffel & found a lot of good information.

aldobalding
11-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Hi Macy,

I have put my colour palette on the demo threads.

I would say start simply,squint, lay in the basic shapes , keep to a minimum
no. of tones. If you are working over a drawing it is a little difficult not
to cover your underdrawing.

As for the colours in the shadows changing, I am not sure what you mean,is the light changing i.e has the sun come out, perhaps or have you moved some coloured object ?

I have read many books and remember one particularly, "Harold Speed" Oil painting techniques ; not 100% sure of the title. I remember the section on simplifying tones and the portrait demo to have been very good,although, sadly, old black and white plates are used to illustrate his methods.

I do think after a certain level, it is what you leave out or how you simplify something so it arranged within its "aesthetic harmony" So there is a hierarchy ,if you like of,edges, colour, tone etc.

daveindublin
01-02-2009, 08:35 PM
quality work man, you should do a video n sell those bad boys for fiddie niiine ninee fiiiiiii no congrats man your reachin the peaks, sweet

michelle021
04-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Hello... Your painting is stunning. Please, would you share a close up of the eyes? What colors are you using? I have such difficulty painting in shadow, not knowing how much detail to put in the eyes. I have been working on something where the half of the face is cast in shadow and it looks wrong. Thank you for anything you can share.

koisdad
04-06-2009, 06:27 PM
you work on the hands is phenomenal. to me this is the best part of the painting!! well done.

michelle021
04-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Hello... I hope you don't mind if I ask for some guidance. Please, would you share a close up of the eyes you paint in shadow? You have probably since sold this painting. What colors are you using? I have such difficulty painting in shadow, not knowing how much detail to put in the eyes. I have been working on something where half of the face is cast in shadow and it looks wrong. I also believe I paint too tight. Any guidance on that? Thank you for anything you can share. Best wishes.

Michelle "Mitch"

Sana Almimar
04-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Hello .....your painting is spectacular ,i struggle to be as good realistic artist as you ,can you make a tutorial step by step lesson with some instructional notes about colors you use in each step ? To be as good as you is a dream .
Wish you all success and happiness in your life

michelle021
04-22-2009, 07:12 AM
Your painting is stunning. I hope you don't mind if I ask for some guidance. Please, would you share a close up of the eyes you paint in shadow? You have probably since sold the painting you posted. What colors are you using? I have such difficulty painting in shadow, not knowing how much detail to put in the eyes. I have been working on something where half of the face is cast in shadow and it looks wrong. I believe I paint too tight feeling like I have to put detail into everything when I actually know especially in shadow-that that thinking is incorrect. Thank you for anything you can share. Best wishes.

Michelle "Mitch"

aldobalding
04-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Hi Michelle,

Just squint and look at the subject and paint only what you see.I only use around 2 tonal values for the shadows. I normally use Trans red oxide with Ultramarine blue or Viridian for the darkest areas . I don't have a great close up, this is the best I have

michelle021
05-05-2009, 07:24 AM
That certainly simplifies things. Thank you... By the way - I wonder what the subject was thinking when being painted. There is something behind the eyes.

ChanDissan
05-05-2009, 07:37 AM
These are fantastic works, you have an excellent technical skill with excellent draftmanship. joy to see all the stages. Thank you for sharing

siberart
06-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Beautiful and soulful. Thanks for sharing your work.

Connie Schaertl
06-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Wonderful demo and result. Love your paintings on your website. Thanks for the inspiration.

7canamer
10-25-2009, 04:34 PM
I am attempting my first portrait. I haven't painted in years and then my subject was landscapes. My 16 yr old granddaughter begged me to do a portrait of her in black and white with bright red lips. Who knows what lurks in the mind of teens. Your demo and the comments from other artists are helping me to hopefully accomplish this challenge. Thanks for sharing a beautiful portrait and your experience.
Barbara F (7canamer)

gronnie
11-05-2009, 06:05 PM
oh wow!! awesome. I would love to be able to paint like you!!

Allison-
12-13-2009, 09:25 PM
wow i love the colour palette.

Sarthur74
05-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Love your work Albo--and thank you for the demonstrations. It definitely helps give more insight into the mind of an artist. I love the work on your website. Really interesting stuff--has a very narrative quality about it. Who is that handsome man in the suit (you perhaps)? Seems to be a constant subject in many of your paintings. Very nice work! Thanks for posting.

Suirena
05-05-2010, 03:54 PM
HI there, As a beginner artist I am mesmerized by the beautiful stlye of your work and the lifelike hands as fabulous..Thanks!!
Suirena

Collette207
11-15-2010, 04:54 PM
that's absolutely fabulous....thanks for sharing your methods. I am trying my first portrait and would love to be able to paint like that some day too. I need help with the skin tones - need to mix a colour like your hands.....afraid to go too pink....and I don't have the first coat on yet !! any advice out there will be appreciated.....thanks.

The works on your website are amazing.....:cat:

clode
12-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Beautiful work ... thank for the VIP !

carolkay
12-23-2010, 10:09 PM
I have enjoyed this demo, hope you do more. Your a great artist !

mtnrunner
03-09-2011, 11:32 PM
Awesome! Just absolutely fabulous. Love the color and the brushwork. Thanks for posting. do some more!!!

Gilberte
06-24-2011, 05:39 AM
Beautiful and soulful. Thanks for sharing your work.

Hello Pat,

Aldo Balding was in Antwerp for two days for a commissioned portrait and I had the chance to meet him for a chat at our house. When looking around in the living room he asked who painted my portrait hanging on the wall. Your work of course and he said it was very well done. Just wanted to tell you this. Aldo is a very charming, nice chap without artistic *allures* with whom you feel very quickly at ease.
Hope all is well at your side.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2011/9813-BILD0983.JPG

Tahloola
06-27-2011, 12:37 AM
Amazing! I am just starting my second portrait ever! I am so slow to draw everything just so... I can't imagine the talent you have being able to paint / draw it like you did. I am in awe!

siberart
07-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Hello Pat,

Aldo Balding was in Antwerp for two days for a commissioned portrait and I had the chance to meet him for a chat at our house. When looking around in the living room he asked who painted my portrait hanging on the wall. Your work of course and he said it was very well done. Just wanted to tell you this. Aldo is a very charming, nice chap without artistic *allures* with whom you feel very quickly at ease.
Hope all is well at your side.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2011/9813-BILD0983.JPG
WOW! Thanks Gilberte.

kate252
08-27-2011, 02:26 AM
its the first hour that i would need to see if i were to learn anything from yu- so id love it if yu did another one with slower steps in the first hour- because it starts off where the face has been mostly put together- so i cant see what your approach is at all- whether yu d the face shape first- or start at the eyes- what color you lay down first.
great portrait though- how long did it take you to get to this standard? if yu were honest....... i love your style and approach. love this painting- i think it total- total awesome.

aldobalding
05-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Kate ,
I have illustrated for 15 years before I painted , mainly in acrylics because of the deadlines .I had been painting in oils about 10 years before I painted this .Ihave some demo's on my blog . I start with the darks and lights , more so now , and construct the form like a sculptor .

Tahloola
05-14-2012, 06:26 PM
This is amazing! Would you take a close up of the hands for us to admire?

Tahloola
05-14-2012, 08:40 PM
Would love to see a close up of the hands!

Celia Blanco
05-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Incredible work, thanks for the demo!

nanzicromer
06-15-2012, 11:35 PM
wow that is so good! thanks for sharing!

clode
06-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Although I am not oil painting .. I find this demonstration interesting and informative .. it can be applied to other techniques Painture .. thank you., it's great sharing .. nice work!

Arthur Oster
03-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Great! I love it. But at the same time, I am so jealouse!

ErnstG
03-22-2014, 10:34 AM
A word: Brilliant!

Ernst

Jas-TheCleanArtist
01-07-2015, 12:08 AM
Wow! So lovely...

patrickart
01-26-2015, 01:41 PM
well done! love it

amatheur
02-17-2015, 04:45 PM
Hi,
this is great work indeed! I love the style, the gaze, the work on the hands!
Thanks for posting the different stages, it's certainly of great interest to me!
Amatheur

http://charromain.wix.com/mustafadingil

Alysed
02-28-2019, 04:22 AM
Beautiful. Thank you for posting.

clode
03-01-2019, 06:13 PM
thank you very interesting..