PDA

View Full Version : Ruby Roses on Bone China.

valchina612
08-10-2007, 09:41 PM
This is a medium that I don't think we've had in our new Forum as yet. I have been painting on Porcelain for the past 26 years, and have been a Qualified Teacher for 22 years. This one is Ruby and Pink Roses on a 10" Bone China Plate. For painting on china, we have to use a paint that is especially formulated for this use, and it comes in vials as a powder pigment. We mix it with a Mixing Medium to a toothpaste consistency, and kept on a covered palette, the paint can stay open for anything up to a couple of years, depending on the type of medium with which the paint has been mixed -- there are open mediums and closed mediums, and everyone has their own personal choice where this is concerned. I like to mix my paints with an open medium, and paint with a semi-open.
I started with a light wash of colour on the Roses and leaves, and then kiln-fired it at 800 degrees Centigrade. This process is repeated until the necessary depth of colour is obtained. A number of thin washes is much more advisable than trying to get the strength of colour on in one hit. This plate had 5 kiln firings, plus an extra one for the gold rim which I put on by hand. The gold rim is hard to see in this image.

Val. :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2007/38312-Porcelain_--_Rose_Plate_Josie_500x.jpg

Margaret 59
08-10-2007, 09:59 PM
This is just gorgeous Val. How long did it take to paint this plate? It's something I couldn't manage in 100 years. :lol:

damar
08-10-2007, 11:36 PM
I had no idea that this work would be layered and fired as many times as necessary to attain the final finish.
Its very beautiful, Val and fascinating.

debsn2paintn
08-11-2007, 01:44 AM
Val this is so beautiful, and I love all colors in the leaves and the light leaves behind. And you painted the rim by hand...wow that looks so perfect. Porcelain painting has always fascinated me. Do you know anything about painting on tiles? We get questions over in the Decorative Arts forum a lot and most of us don't know anything about it.

tstimpson
08-11-2007, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the overview of the process Val - like others I was not aware of the amount of work (apart from the artistic) that goes into this. Your work is truely wonderful.

Terry

Lady Carol
08-11-2007, 08:26 AM
VAL!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Had no idea your china was this good. I knew you painted china but this is terrific/awesome/fabulous/stunning.

My Mum paints china but nothing like your lovely work. No wonder you teach.

bayoudragon
08-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Wow, Val! This is amazing!

robynsin
08-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Not only beautiful but so interesting, Val. Now I know why such plates are so expensive. Lovely work - if I could even achieve that on paper, I'd be happy.

C_Line
08-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Indeed, what an education. I now have a much finer appreciation of this art.

idcrisis55
08-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Lovely work, Val. I enjoyed reading about you and how you went about painting this plate and the number of times it was fired. It was an eye opener about the process.

valchina612
08-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Thankyou so much Margaret, Damar, Deb, Terry, Carol, Angela,
Robyn, Celeste and Ann -- you are all so very, very kind!!!!!!!!!!

Margaret -- This particular plate took around 20 hours of painting and 12 hours of firing time.

Deb -- Yes, I paint a lot on tiles too, so I'll try to come by the Decorative Arts Forum more often, but if you have a question, just PM me, and I'll be glad to try to help.

Carol -- I didn't realise your Mum paints on china -- I must find out more.

debsn2paintn
08-11-2007, 11:23 PM
Val I know you are busy, if we have a question I will just pm you :) Thanks so much.

valchina612
08-12-2007, 04:51 AM
Please do Deb.

arttch
08-12-2007, 09:09 AM
I agree, just amazing!

Artsyme
08-12-2007, 10:27 AM
WOW! Gorgeous china- beautiful technique!

Charlie's Mum
08-12-2007, 10:32 AM
So that's how it's done!
Beautiful work Val - I'm in awe of you! :eek:
Do you work it out on paper first?

........and I can see the gold rim! :D

valchina612
08-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Arttch -- Thankyou so much for your kind comments.

Janet -- Your kind comments are very much appreciated.

Maureen -- Thankyou so very much. With Roses, I don't draw anything, just a couple of design lines on my plate -- an S curve, or a C curve, and then just go straight in and paint. If I were painting Pansies for instance I'd roughly draw the pansies on my plate with a ballpoint pen (the pen fires out in the first firing). If it's a technical design, which is one of my great loves, I draw that up first in my sketchbook to get all of the measurements sorted out.

SunsetSue
08-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Val this is absolutely lovely. My goodness a lot of time for each piece, I suppose a set for twelve is out of the question?? I am just teasing. This is superb and would look fabulous on display. I have done a few ceramic dragons so I know the process that is involved and porcelain is even more delicate. Thanks for showing this.

valchina612
08-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks so much Sue. I have two full blank Dinner Sets with all the extras such as casserole dishes etc., sitting in boxes in the Shed. I dare not say how many years they've been there, so I doubt that I'll get around to painting them now. If only we had 48 hours in a day and 14 days to a week, and only aged 1 year every 2 or 3 years -- there's so much art I want to do!!!! Thankyou again for your very kind comments.