PDA

View Full Version : Florals

SHRcowgirl
08-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Here are some flowers I photographed. Question about photo # 3, does the bench take away from the photo?
C & C wanted and welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2007/113311-PiF.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2007/113311-YF2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2007/113311-DSC00469.JPG

debsn2paintn
08-10-2007, 12:03 AM
These are nice colorful photos, and great capture of the spider. I think the first two would look better with a little more background blur, do you know how to do this? The 2nd photo would look wonderful with a closer crop! The last photo, yes I think the background is distracting from the beautiful flowers and they don't seen to be as sharp in focus as the first two, maybe because of lower light. Did you use a tripod?

But overall very pretty photos and if you were to paint them then could do something different with the background.

valchina612
08-10-2007, 03:01 AM
Beautiful photos, with lovely colours. As Deb said, the second one could be cropped a little more, and the third one also. The background doesn't do justice to the last one unfortunately. I especially adore the lighting and colours in the first one. Thanks so much for posting them. :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

Lady Carol
08-10-2007, 07:22 AM
These photos are lovely. In the third, the bench seems to be fairly close in colour to the flower so it does it doesn't pop out the way the other two do.

SHRcowgirl
08-10-2007, 10:11 AM
These are nice colorful photos, and great capture of the spider. I think the first two would look better with a little more background blur, do you know how to do this? The 2nd photo would look wonderful with a closer crop! The last photo, yes I think the background is distracting from the beautiful flowers and they don't seen to be as sharp in focus as the first two, maybe because of lower light. Did you use a tripod?

But overall very pretty photos and if you were to paint them then could do something different with the background.

deb,
I don't know how to get the background blur, I am fairly new to photography.
I thought the background on the third on did take away from the flower, any way to fix it? I did not use a tripod for the third photo. How is this crop? Any better?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2007/113311-YF2_-_edited.jpg

debsn2paintn
08-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Yes, I like this crop much better!

I would love to help you, but it's helpful to know what camera you use. Also do you know what the f stop, shutter speed, and ISO were set at? Do you know how to get this data from your photos? Because I can tell you :)

Gilberte
08-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Very inspiring photo's.

SHRcowgirl
08-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Yes, I like this crop much better!

I would love to help you, but it's helpful to know what camera you use. Also do you know what the f stop, shutter speed, and ISO were set at? Do you know how to get this data from your photos? Because I can tell you :)

Deb,
The camera I used was a Lumix DMC - LS1, 4.0 mp, 3x optigal zoom camera equipped with mega optical image stabilizer. I unfortunately do not know the f - stop, shutter speed or ISO were set at, I took the picture about a year ago ( before I decide I like photography ). I would love to learn how to get that information from the pictures.
Thanks.

Artsyme
08-12-2007, 10:44 AM
I just love the dalia and the itsy-bitsy spider! All are beautiful photos.

Charlie's Mum
08-12-2007, 10:45 AM
From a painter's POV, these are fine! I'd leave out or crop anyway:D

Can't help technically - but plenty of others can!

All I can say is thank you - they're lovely! :D

debsn2paintn
08-12-2007, 12:28 PM
SHRcowgirl- I just did a quick google on your camera and it looks like a point and shoot. So I don't think you have the options to change the F-stop. So you won't be able to choose to blur the background. I use Windows Picture and Fax viewer to view my photos, and when I have the photo on the screen (viewing it), just right click on the photo, go down to properties, and then click on the summery tab, and that will tell you everything about the photo.

gaykir
08-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Yummy photos!! That Dahlia is a grand color!

SHRcowgirl
08-12-2007, 04:22 PM
SHRcowgirl- I just did a quick google on your camera and it looks like a point and shoot. So I don't think you have the options to change the F-stop. So you won't be able to choose to blur the background. I use Windows Picture and Fax viewer to view my photos, and when I have the photo on the screen (viewing it), just right click on the photo, go down to properties, and then click on the summery tab, and that will tell you everything about the photo.

Hi Deb,
I have another camera it is a sony DSC - W7, cybershot, point and shoot, 7.2 MP. I am not sure if this one has a changeable f - stop setting. If it doesn' t just pretend I have a camera that does, how would I blur the backround? I will get the settings on those pictures for everyone. Thank you for every ones opinions and thoughts.

SHRcowgirl
08-14-2007, 10:19 AM
I am just writing to bump it up.

debsn2paintn
08-14-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm sorry you had to bump this back up for me to see it. I subscribed to this thread but I'm not being notified for some reason.

The way f stops work- Lower numbers give you a blurry background, Larger numbers give you more focus all over. Let's say you are trying to take a photo of just one flower and you want the background blurred you might want to try f 5.6 but with this small of an f stop you might notice that the middle of the flower is in focus but the petals are blurred, so if you wanted the whole flower in focus you might want to try a larger number like 7.1 or 8.

Also something else to think about is lighting, because if you are shooting inside and the light isn't very good you will need to set the f stop to a low number (5.6 or 7.1). If you are outside you really don't have to worry about it but a good place to start on a bright sunny day taking landscape shots is around 13.

If you have a digital camera the best way to learn is start by taking photos in Aperture Priority, this means set the f stop and let the camera set the other settings for you. And just photograph something inside trying the different settings, also outside. Bring them in, put them on the computer and look at them. The ones that looks good, look at the settings ( I told you how to do this in post #11). This is a good way to learn what works and what doesn't.

One more important factor is ISO. Outside bright light 100 ISO is usually good, if it's afternoon and starting to get dark change it to 200 or 400. If you are photographing inside in good natural light try 200 or 400. I normally don't use a flash, I don't like the look of it unless it's real soft.

Another way to blur the background, and this depends on the lens you are using. I normally use my 28-135 lens, and I step back and zoom all the way in then I walk to were the flower is framed how I want it in the view finder, focus on where I want to focus to me and shoot. And with my camera when it focuses (I use Auto Focus) on just the flower I can see the background will blur. This is called Bokeh.

Point and shoots are normally auto cameras. I have one that I use often, in fact I take it everywhere with me. But if you want the background blurred you really need to be able to have a longer lens (telephoto) that you can zoom in and focus on just the spot you want to focus on. The longer the lens the more blur you should be able to get. My 70-300 makes a very nice blurred background but sometimes I just don't have room to get back far enough to use that lens.

The setting info on your photos isn't really important if it's an all auto camera. Because your camera will automatically chose all the setting for you (or I think it will).

I hope this helps, and hope I didn't confuse you :D If you have another question, and I don't respond just send me a pm and give me a heads up. :)

SHRcowgirl
08-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Thank you Deb,
it helped alot and you didn't confuse me, if I have any more question I'll be sure to look you up.:D

ticktock01
08-15-2007, 10:48 AM
These are nice colorful photos, and great capture of the spider. I think the first two would look better with a little more background blur, do you know how to do this?

I really like the Dahlia photo especially, but I agree with Deb about the background needing to be blurrier. As Deb explained, that should be done when taking the photo. However, with the help of Photoshop this background blur can be simulated as shown below. I hope you don't mind me altering your photo a bit.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2007/67164-113311-PiF.jpg

Mikki Petersen
08-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Beautiful photos. I most like the pink flowers in the third one. I think it would be more distracting to have only part of the bench in the background. This way it identifies place.

Mikki

SHRcowgirl
08-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Ticktock01, I don't mind at all that you altered my photo, I don't have photoshop so I am unable to edit my photos very much.
Thank you both.