PDA

View Full Version : Orange dog

Seleeni
08-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Hi Painter Friends,

Here's Hunter, with 3 different orange/browns worked in his fur. I wanted to get a "glow" effect. I'd love to know what you think works or doesn't. Darn! I didn't mean to position him so low- you can see the staple holes, but the ragged edge seems to work with the bandana for an interesting effect.

Tried out Arches 300lb cold-press WC paper. The paper is more textured and sized than the 140lb. I still don't know what paper works best with these dog portraits. I plan to try hot press, and some more absorbent papers.

Thanks for looking.
Selene

Hunter
Gouache, 10 x 8"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2007/91995-Hunter.jpg

meglyman
08-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Selene,

The different oranges are very nice and they do glow against the complimentary background. You did an excellent job with his mouth and teeth. I love how you brought the background/bandana color into his nose area. I suggest trying to bring some of that complimentary color into the fur shadows next time you do a dog portrait. Awesome job!

Meg

Old Tex
08-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Boy, that nose looks wet, and those eyes would melt anybody. This guy's got personality!

Eggy
08-09-2007, 10:50 PM
The beard-like fur aound his neck seems to disconnect him from his body.

maggie latham
08-10-2007, 07:13 AM
Dear Selene,
I love his features….and the way you have used the same color for his neck scarf and background.
I like the Fabriano (sp) 300lb hot pressed. You will probably want to practice on some smaller pieces first as it is very different to work on than cold pressed. If you work wet in wet, and wet it first, you can do some wonderful blended washes, but it takes a long time to dry and as you know with gouache it lifts of easily when you apply subsequent areas of color. As with illustration board, the pant kind of sits on the top rather than soaking in.
I have been painting mostly in pastel for the last couple of months, so haven’t had any new work to post here. I do so love your dogs and portraits…keep painting.
Maggie

Seleeni
08-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Meg, Ralph, Iggy, and Maggy,

Wow, talk about instant feedback! Thanks so much for your replies and insights. I got a second wind and worked 3 hours on this yesterday, on the neck, fur, and softening edges. Can you believe it? Well, see if you can see any change.

Selene

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2007/91995-Hunter.jpg

pinkrybns
08-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Hey Selene,
Yep! I can see a difference and good for you for making the changes. However slight they may have been, they did work.
I like what you're doing with goauche.
:)
Judy

Seleeni
08-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Hi Judy,

Thanks for taking a look and giving me some words of encouragement!

Dag, Selene

Mz_Sketch_Pad
08-20-2007, 11:48 AM
the green and orange look nice together

meglyman
08-21-2007, 01:00 PM
Selene, the way you extended the fur over the bandana looks terrific!
Meg

JamieWG
08-22-2007, 09:16 AM
Selene, the dog looks good! A little yellow in the lights might add to the glow effect you're after. I agree about gouache on Fabriano Artistico hot press---great stuff. I use their blocks for 5x7s in gouache or acrylic. Arches hot press blocks are also nice.

Jamie