PDA

View Full Version : Gaillardia aristata (?)

midcoast
08-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Hi All,

I'm glad to have stumbled upon this forum the other day! Here is one of my latest pieces. Oil on linen. This is a wild Gaillardia species that grows around Colorado Springs. Painting size is 8in x 6 in.

My style is a lot looser and more impatient than most who post here... ;)

Nancy

valchina612
08-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Nancy, I love Gallardias, and these are beautiful. I love your loose style. :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

Lady Carol
08-09-2007, 09:49 AM
My style is a lot looser and more impatient than most who post here... ;)
That is fine Nancy. We accept all styles, from those who are tight, like me :D to your lovely loose painting which is very harmonious.

M Douglas
08-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Love the colors and energy! Beautiful painting Nancy!

Melodie

lilbelle
08-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Wonderful loose style! I love the warm colours!

vhere
08-09-2007, 10:12 AM
a really nice loose treatment :)

robynsin
08-09-2007, 12:47 PM
If only I could be so loose and impatient! Yum - delightful painting.

midcoast
08-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Thanks Robyn - it took me a long time to develop a looser style. Sounds crazy, doesn't it? But I started out painting birds in watercolor in a very Ray Harris-Ching style!

Thanks Vivien!

lillian - thank you! My preference is painting reds and yellows, I have no idea why...

Thank you Melodie!

Carol - thanks! Tight is good too. I love the old Dutch florals (you know those ones with the luscious tulips and peonies), but I can't sit still long enough to pull one off ;)

Thank you Val :)

Nancy

Charlie's Mum
08-09-2007, 03:58 PM
This appeals to me very much Nancy!
The colour is super - and I love the freedom of expression here - it's loose, but with tremendous movement and energy.
Lovely! :D

painterbear
08-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Nancy,
This is a lovely, exuberant painting. I like the way that vibrant red runs through the background and sets off the lovely flowers. Their name just flows, doesn't it—Gaillardia Aristata! Sounds as pretty as they look. :D

I don't think we develop a style, I think our style eventually finds us and your loose brush strokes and found you so well!

Sylvia

ranunkel
08-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Love you style and colors. What size size brushes are you useing to obtain the loose strokes?

~frangipani~
08-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Lovely! Your loose style gives an impression of movement, I can just see the petals fluttering softly in the breeze on a warm day.

Ranger Dan
08-09-2007, 05:17 PM
If only I could be so loose and impatient! Yum - delightful painting.
Here, here! That goes for me too!!:thumbsup:

debsn2paintn
08-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Very dramatic, love the colors and the loose style! Beautiful work.

C_Line
08-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Very nice Nancy...I love your loose style.

Margaret 59
08-09-2007, 09:53 PM
This is exactly how I would like to paint and ditto all of the above comments. Can I ask what colours you used for the stems and leaves ?

Gilberte
08-10-2007, 01:40 PM
I love this style ...

Artist_by_Accident
08-10-2007, 04:15 PM
There would not be any of that energy in a tighter painting! I love it! May I ask how you learned to paint so loosely after painting so differently before?

ABA

damar
08-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Your style is very appealling, often sought and delightful to look at.
Congrats on a nice painting with good response!

midcoast
08-13-2007, 08:44 AM
A big Group Thanks to everyone! I was up in the mountains for the weekend and now I'm behind on my posting :)

ABA - It was a long road to a looser style. When I painted tightly, I was working with watercolors so the quick dry time made it easy to layer and be tight. I switched to oils about 5 years ago and tried layering in oils. I hated it because it took weeks to get a finished painting. I stumbled upon a show by a well-know alla prima and plein air landscape painter who had a looser style, and realized that's how I wanted to paint. I then studied plein air landscape painting with some excellent artist-instructors including the guy whose show I saw originally. Over the course of the last 5 years, I've learned how to state it, then leave it alone (and I'm still learning/developing). Plein Air is great for that because you really don't have time to fuss! I've also been watching videos by Scott Burdick, Scott Christensen, and others with looser, quicker styles, so I guess it's just rubbing off on me slowly over time. Oh, the books by Helen Van Wyk are also great - I don't like her portraits as much as I like her loose florals.

Being impatient helps too - I just don't like working on a painting for weeks and weeks. I will come back and do touch-ups after the paint is dry, but that's about it.

Nancy

midcoast
08-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Margaret - colors on the stems were (I think) my crutch green: sap green, grayed down with cadmium orange and probably permanent red medium and transparent oxide red. For the lights on the stem, I added cadmium yellow light and a touch of white to that mixture.

I usually gray down my greens considerably with a couple of reds plus cad. orange - those colors seem to work for me.

Nancy

midcoast
08-13-2007, 08:51 AM
Marianne - I used 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch long flats for most of this painting. I don't know what that translates to in metric. The painting was 8 inches x 6 inches, so the brushes were pretty large. I finished up a few details with a 1/4 inch bright.

The surface was an archival canvasboard with a thin coat of pumiced gesso over it to give it a more toothy surface.

Nancy

marionh
08-13-2007, 09:56 AM
I love your style.
Thanks for your explanations.
I am on the verge of trying a looser style and have tried a small one to date. You make it look so effortless, I had quite a struggle even on the small painting not to go over it again and again!

midcoast
08-13-2007, 10:15 AM
Yes, it was a struggle for me too when I first started to try a looser style! I let it evolve over time and eventually it felt "right".

Some suggestions would be setting a timer for a finish time (say 45 minutes for a 6in x 8in), squinting at your subject if working from life (this blurs out some of the details), doing some life studies (10-minute, small studies of flowers, similar to what's done in life-drawing sessions), and practicing "starts" - this is from Kevin MacPherson who has some great books on painting alla prima.

Nancy

marionh
08-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the tips Nancy. I will try your suggestions and see if I can get hold of the book.
Marion