PDA

View Full Version : Mailing List

Shai
05-21-2002, 08:03 AM
Do you have a mailing list of your buyers?

If yes, do you add them only if they express an interest to be added to this mailing list? Or, do you add them automatically as long as the person is already a customer?

regsart
05-21-2002, 08:27 AM
I have a nice mailing list book that I put out at shows and I invite people to add there info. If I do a custom I bring the book at some point and offer it for signing in. I don't automatically put customers na,mes on. If they want to get mailings theyll sign up. Personally I resent unautherized direact mail ,etc... and wouldn't want to mimic that in any way. I try to treat my customers the way I would like to be treated the old golden rule:)

Well have a nice day
Regan

arlene
05-21-2002, 10:00 AM
are u talking about with ebay or in general?

regsart
05-21-2002, 02:27 PM
Oh -
I was not referring to ebay .

-Regan

CarlyHardy
05-21-2002, 09:03 PM
I keep all my client names/addresses/emails and last year when I was off ebay for the summer, I did send an email to let them know when I began selling again on ebay. Several sent me a note to say thanks and that they had wondered where I'd gone.

I mailed all my clients a Christmas card (not for advertising but to say Merry Christmas). Many of my buyers are repeat customers and I get to know them thru emails during the year....but I don't send any email or letter to tell them about my listings. Several have ask me to let them know when I do a specific subject....but I can't keep up with that...I forget!

carly

Shai
05-21-2002, 09:03 PM
I'm asking about eBay customers and in general.

Do you have different practices for different venues?

Sumafra
05-22-2002, 02:19 AM
I keep the addresses and email addresses of all my buyers, ebay or not. Locally, I send them invitations to shows. I have not sent anything to my out-of-town buyers but I plan on sending a Christmas card this year, hopefully a card made from a picture of one of my paintings. I think it's important to have records of who I sold to and what they bought from me. I don't know why it's important, but I like to have that information. And if ever I start a newsletter or something, or have an important announcement like a solo show or whatever, I would then use it to send an announcement to everyone.

paintergirl
05-24-2002, 01:24 PM
I am still new to ebay but thought it would be smart to keep a list of the buyers I have already had. I haven't done anything with the addy's yet, as I am wondering if it is 'illegal' to forward a message saying I have new works ready to post etc.

There is also a service called Constant Contact that I have seen. I am thinking about utilizing them. They have a small space on your personal web-site and when people type in their email, it is forwarded to you automatically. What I find appealing is that they offer free courses on email marketing regularly and how to improve your customer base etc, send off professional looking email campaigns and newsletters etc...Has anybody here tried this yet? The first 50 addy's are free and then it is 4.95 a month ( I think...)

Sumafra
05-24-2002, 10:54 PM
Can you give us a link for this, Julia?

walden
05-25-2002, 01:09 AM
I've just started selling, but I built an Excel spreadsheet to hold all the details about my sales, and I include in there both a thumbnail of the painting and e-mail and snail mail addresses of the buyers. When I sent e-mail notifying buyers that I had shipped, I included a sentence to the effect that I planned to send out an e-mail newsletter about 4 times a year and that I would like to include them on my mailing list, but if they wished to not receive it, just let me know and I would remove their names. I was very polite. :) I don't want to be annoying, but I don't figure that getting an e-mail 4 times a year from someone whose work you liked enough to buy is very annoying. Anyway, no one asked to have their name removed.

I figure that every three months I'll put together a short e-mail, chatting a bit about the new work I've been doing, etc., & providing links to my website where they can see it. I think it will be a good reminder, and might generate some sales. Can't hurt, and it's not very time-consuming.

arlene
05-25-2002, 01:49 AM
walden i personally would feel uncomfortable with saying that in an email...it still puts the onus on the buyer to have their name removed...sort of like spam...

i personally think asking them point blank if they'd like to be on the mailing list is better.

walden
05-25-2002, 08:24 AM
Well, I thought pretty carefully about it, Arlene, but decided to do it that way based on how the people I know and love use e-mail. My best friend never responds to e-mail, even if there's a question in it, unless she absolutely HAS to-- meaning, it's work-related (I used to work with her, and even a lot of that she reads but doesn't respond to.) I know a lot of other people like that as well-- they get a lot of e-mail, and don't mind getting it, they just delete it if they're not interested, but they rarely or never respond back. If I sent out a message to my friends and family asking if they want to be included on an e-mail list, I am certain that I wouldn't hear back from 80% of them, and yet, that wouldn't reflect how they really feel.

I just figured that 1) I will get a LOT more names on my list of real potential customers if I do it this way and 2) the odds that getting an e-mail 4 times a year from me will anger someone (who otherwise would have bought from me again) so much that they won't buy again just isn't high enough to worry about. Anyone that cranky about marketing always has the opportunity to respond immediately to my initial e-mail saying "no, please don't" and they won't be on the list to begin with.

Anyway, opinions vary, but that's my thinking. I'm sure I will annoy the occasional person, and I'm sorry for that, but on the other hand, I will reach all of those passive e-mail users who really do want to hear from me, and might very well buy again.

timelady
05-25-2002, 03:13 PM
I use the same approach as walden - and my mailing list consists of both an email list (including ebay buyers) and a regular mailing list. I send out monthly or every other month emails about what I've been up to and any new shows or events (not announcing ebay auctions, though that link is always on my website).

Technically, if you do decide to keep people's names on your email list you MUST include instructions on how they can get off the list. That's a requirement otherwise it is spam. (In US law anyway.) I think it looks far more professional anyway. Mine is just a nice little p.s. I also include that I never give my email addresses to any 3rd parties.

A more established artist once told me that a mailing list is everything. The artists with the best mailing lists are always the ones who sell well at exhibitions and our open studios around here.

Tina.

arlene
05-25-2002, 04:12 PM
A more established artist once told me that a mailing list is everything. The artists with the best mailing lists are always the ones who sell well at exhibitions and our open studios around here.

that's so true... i always do better when i send a reminder to folks about a show.

tammy
05-26-2002, 01:51 AM
I don't understand some of the rule talk but after rereading eBays rules apparently the keeping of other's addresses is not allowed unless you give the people the chance to review what info you do have for them and that they can ask that their info no longer be in your possession and spam of course is a difinate no no.
I found this info here.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/png-priv2.html#5

subheading of "Your use of Other's information."