PDA

View Full Version : Strelitzia reginae (Bird of Paradise)

~frangipani~
08-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Hi! Here's a drawing I did late last year but never got around to posting. No more excuses now there is the perfect forum for it. :D The reference came from the RIL.

Strelitzia reginae - Bird of Paradise
Derwent Artists coloured pencils
Mi-Teintes pastel paper
21x29cm

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2007/65270-b-o-paradise-web.jpg

Lady Carol
08-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Lovely Sue.

M Douglas
08-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Beautifully done Sue.

Melodie

C_Line
08-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Really nice.

Katherine T
08-08-2007, 03:08 AM
Sue - your drawing made me think this flower has a personality - like one of those birds with a long beak! ;)

I like the profile view you've chosen - it really shows this flower off to great effect. Your colours also look very faithful to the flower.

I notice you're using the 'chicken wire' side of the Mi Teintes. Do you like this best? I'm afraid I have a complete horror of that side (working on it gives me the heebie jeebies! :rolleyes:) and I always much prefer using the smooth side for CP work - which seems to work really well and can take a lot of punishment.

Charlie's Mum
08-08-2007, 05:12 AM
I like the work sue - lovely colour and good shape.

I too hate this paper - with a passion! :lol: .... but I know others love the texture! Each to his own I say :D

~frangipani~
08-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks everyone:wave:

I notice you're using the 'chicken wire' side of the Mi Teintes. Do you like this best? I'm afraid I have a complete horror of that side (working on it gives me the heebie jeebies! ) and I always much prefer using the smooth side for CP work - which seems to work really well and can take a lot of punishment.

I do prefer the smoother side, this one was an experiment to see how the ripples would affect the drawing. I was happy with how the drawing turned out, and I will probably use that side of the paper again, but I will be selective in what I put on it. Just have to remember to slow down for all those little speed bumps:lol:

I too hate this paper - with a passion! .... but I know others love the texture! Each to his own I say

I do like this paper... but it's the same as when people tell me they don't like coffee, I just say, that's great all the more for me:lol: Life would be boring if we all did the same thing!