PDA

View Full Version : Two Flowers and a Garden Painting

ChuckL
08-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks to Katherine T. for alerting me to this new forum. I paint lots of florals and more recently a series of garden paintings. Here are three from the last few weeks. All oil all painted from life.

Brown Magnolia 8x10
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2007/49402-brown_magnolia.jpg

Fading Hibiscus 5x7
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2007/49402-hibiscusdying.jpg

Pond Study # 6 8x10
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2007/49402-pond6.jpg

Thanks for looking!
C&C Always Welcome
.....chuck

gaykir
08-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Wonderful! I am particularly fond of the brown magnolia. You captured that waxy gloss on the leaves so well!

bayoudragon
08-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Hi Chuck! Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Beautiful works! I especially like the last one. You captured the tranquil setting beautifully... looks like a wonderful place to relax. :)

Wish my backyard looked like that! :rolleyes: :D

debsn2paintn
08-06-2007, 09:49 PM
All three of these are really beautiful. The details on the first one are really nice, and the reflective shadow on the 2nd painting really adds to the composition. And the last one is really pretty, looks like a nice place to relax :)

valchina612
08-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Beautiful, beautiful on all three -- wonderful colours and light and shade. :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

robynsin
08-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Beautiful paintings - I love the delicate play of light in the hibiscus.

Lady Carol
08-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Nice paintings. I like the magnolia. I have never seen a brown one before.

ChuckL
08-07-2007, 01:02 PM
Thankyou for all the kind comments ladies.
I have no back yard to speak so my pond and garden are in the Front ...but I've planted enough "stuff" to make it a nice quiet place to sit and relax. The garden is my biggest deterrant from painting...I could easily spend all my time out there. Carol, the magnolia turns brown like that as it dies...that one was already losing petals as I painted it...it fell completely apart that night.
Thanks again for taking the time to comment!
....chuck

Katherine T
08-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Hi Chuck - wonderful to see you over here. Your brown magnolia is magnificent.

Thanks so much for your wonderful contribution to the gardens thread as well.

lilbelle
08-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Lovely paintings! I especially like the magnolia also. Wonderful shine to the leaves!

Charlie's Mum
08-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Welcome to the forum Chuck - goos to have you and your work here!

I hadn't heard of 'Brown Magnolias' either - just thought it looked like mine on their way out! :lol: then you described it exactly like that! :D

You really have painted it very truthfully - love the glossy thick leaves.

There's a lot of emotion in the dying hibiscus too - very delicate and quite sad!

Like the pond/garden scene - lush!

jeanvrb
08-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Chuck, I absolutely love the pond study #6. Guess you have done 5 others. Don't know how you put all that beauty in 8 x 10. You achieved softness in the background, but the flowers are still identifiable.

Before I read your comment about the brown magnolia, I had thought to myself - there are over 100 species, petals can be from 7 to 15 (magnolia is my state flower), but I had never seen a brown one. The one I have in my yard opens 3/4 of the way the first day, closes in the evening, then fully opens the next day but falls off before it can turn brown. The leaf at top right is very much the way the leaves on my tree twist and turn and are golden underneath. Enjoyed viewing yours. Thanks.

Jeanette

vhere
08-08-2007, 03:14 PM
I love those close ups :) the simplicity but the acute observation works really well :)