PDA

View Full Version : Pot of Flowers

ranunkel
08-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Hi

This is a cp drawings from my art class at http://www.oca-uk.com/

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2007/18189-begonie500.JPG
This drawing was not done from a photo! I had the flowers in front of me while drawing.
It took me almost a day to do this drawing. One of the problems I faced was that the flower turned it's head as the light changed. I also found it was confusing that when the light started to change the shadows change dramatically, so I had to relay on my memory. So what did I learn? I learned, always to do a small sketch of light, and shadow for a start, so I can go back, and look at it, if I need to.

I think the wrapping paper looks more like fabric than paper, I should have drawn it with more sharp edges. I also feel that the flowerpot is placed a little to close to the bottom edge of the paper. I could also crop this drawing a bit I think.

I just signed up for a Botanical Illustration class, where I will be working in water color:)

The photo of the drawing isn't very good sorry about that!

Marianne

Katherine T
08-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Marianne - Good for you though drawing from life - it's really wonderful for developing hand/eye co-ordination. Lovely drawing as well of the plant as well. I think I personally would have preferred it against a flat surface (both table and background) so you can see the shape of the plants and leaves more easily - but each to their own - that's just my view.

You should also try drawing flowers outside where the sun goes in and out behind the clouds and moves as well! :D I learned over time to do photos at the beginning and the end to record how the sun changed. It's also good to guess what the sun is going to do in advance - and then to see if you're right!!!

ranunkel
08-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Good idea to take photos at the start, and end of the drawing, but for this drawing using photo was a big no no.
One of the things I find a bit old fashioned at OCA

I do agree with you, it would have been better to draw the flower on a flat table but,
for this assignment I were asked not to move the tings I were going to draw. I had to compose a drawing from what ever I had on my table, so I were not asked to draw a flower just something on my table, I just happened to have a flower my mother had bought, and the paper it was warped in, was still under the pot.
Think the idea was that I should learn to see compositions in everyday things around me.

I can't wait to get started at the Botanical Illustration class to try flowers in water color.

debsn2paintn
08-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Beautiful drawing.

C_Line
08-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Very lovely and complex drawing Marianne.

valchina612
08-06-2007, 11:26 PM
You've drawn this up so well -- I really like the composition. :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

jeanvrb
08-07-2007, 01:08 AM
Very pretty leaves that show up well without competing with the wrapping paper, which incidentally, I agree with you that it looks like fabric, but that is okay. You successfully painted a complicated design in the paper/fabric. The horizontal border on the wall nicely balances the vertical lines in the chair, the plant, and the framed painting.

I do think you could use a few more contrasting darks, maybe in the paper and a few of the leaves.

Jeanette

ranunkel
08-07-2007, 02:37 AM
"I do think you could use a few more contrasting darks, maybe in the paper and a few of the leaves. "

I agree with you!