PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Feedback

Shai
05-20-2002, 09:47 PM
I know that one of the basic rules when leaving feedback to buyers is "Give positive feedback only when payments are cleared (cheque, money order, electronic payment, etc.)."

However, I have read some people say that they won't leave feedback even after the buyer has already paid and the payment was cleared (but the item may have not reached they buyer yet). They want to wait for the buyer to acknowlege receipt of the item first and leave them feedback.

What about you? What's your practice?

CarlyHardy
05-20-2002, 11:19 PM
Usually I leave feedback when I ship the painting. If the buyer leaves feedback that isn't positive...you can leave a follow-up message to it. I wouldn't think there would be a problem if they get the painting and all is well....even a problem in shipping could be worked out with the buyer.

Sometimes I forget to do feedback! but I eventually get around to it. Some buyers never leave feedback at all!
carly

CathyD
05-21-2002, 12:40 AM
I usually leave feedback when I know they have received the painting and they leave feedback for me.

I want to be sure they received it ok and are happy. One time a month went by and a buyer emailed me and asked where her painting was! Talk about a panic. I keep good books and knew I had mailed it, but it was a miniature painting and one of the first that I hadn't mailed priority mail. I had no proof of shipping because there was no insurance or anything to track it with. All I could do was tell her it was lost in the mail but I would gladly refund her money. I did that right away. About a week later the painting finally showed up and she re-purchased it! And since then she has bought 2 more paintings and bid on others that she didn't win. We both gave each other positive feedback.

On repeat customers I usually don't wait.
Cathy

Sumafra
05-21-2002, 01:20 AM
In the past, I have waited for the painting to arrive and for the buyer to leave feedback for me, but then it's a game of who's going to do it first, and who's waiting for the other one to do it first. Now, I leave it when payment is received and I've shipped the painting. they have performed their half of the bargain, they deserve to get their feeback. Since I follow up because I like to know when the painting has been received, I will then ask them to leave feedback for me. Most do.

Shai
05-21-2002, 08:01 AM
Thanks for your input. :)

I think I would follow the practice of giving feedback as soon as I ship the painting (and the payment is cleared, of course). Let's see how it goes... Again, thanks!

timelady
05-21-2002, 08:37 AM
I leave feedback when I ship usually (although I often forget and leave a bunch of feedbacks at once on the feedback page). I delay only if the transaction is either with someone new and/or the payment wasn't easy or entirely prompt. Then I might wait to make sure they receive the painting first. It's all subjective though. Strangely, I've just sold two pieces to someone who paid very promptly and doesn't want the paintings yet! How often does that happen. :D (she's painting her house and would like them after they're done redecorating)

For repeat customers I usually leave feedback when I get payment.

Tina.

tammy
05-26-2002, 02:06 AM
I usually leave fb when the deal is completed on my end and their end, right through to being sure that they received item and are satified.

iyoung
05-27-2002, 04:20 PM
I've been dealing on ebay for a long time and leave feedback to buyers the same day the payment is received. That way I can mention that I left the positive feedback when I send my email acknowledging their payment. It makes for a very friendly transaction when the buyer knows you trust them and they can trust you - and it shows that you have faith in your own product. It's also efficient - one less thing to remember to do later. And it costs you nothing and you're risking nothing - imho it is absolutely NEVER worthwhile to leave negative feedback for someone no matter what they do - (even bounced checks may have the best of intentions behind them) -it's too likely to backfire on you. It's too personal a thing to do for a mere business transaction. The best course with a deadbeat is to just report them to ebay. Leaving negative or withholding feedback is bound to backfire sooner or later.

Ilene

iyoung on ebay too.

arlene
05-27-2002, 05:27 PM
right now there are three buyers who've not left me feedback even though i had politely asked in emails...

those three would bring my total's to 9 and with the stuff i bought on ebay, if she had left me feedback, i'd have a 10.

it's very frustrating, even since i made it clear how much it would help me, a new seller.

oh and i do leave my feedback as soon as i receive payment.