PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes it actually works!!

Sumafra
05-20-2002, 08:55 PM
All this strategizing that we do, sometimes it actually works. I sold a painting last week (on Ebay) for a fairly low price. The buyer went to my website and wanted to buy 2 more, unfortunately one of them was already sold. But she did buy the other one and told me that if I were to paint another one similar to the one she wanted, she would be interested in buying it. Best part is, she is paying my regular price, not my ebay discounted prices. Turned out to be a good week after all.

Shai
05-20-2002, 09:19 PM
Wow! Congrats! This is encouraging news. :clap:

arlene
05-20-2002, 09:45 PM
great to hear...

I've decided except for prints not to show low priced work...i want to get known for what i do...

so i mailed out a flyer to all my past buyers letting them know they can now get on ebay some of my paper sculptures for up to 40% off...i'm hoping that they'll bid and generate interest.

arteitaliana
05-21-2002, 01:01 AM
Congratulations, Suzette!!

One of the best perks on ebay is the off-ebay sales. Is wonderful when that happens.
It does take a bit of time, but eventually a following is created. Buyers know that they getting bargains at ebay and don't mind payng more once in a while for something they really like.
I also think that is important to list "good" work and risk a few low prices here and there, but eventually good work will pay.

Rita:)

walden
05-21-2002, 08:49 PM
Congratulations! :clap:

cagathoc
05-21-2002, 09:45 PM
:clap:

tammy
05-26-2002, 02:03 AM
That's great Suzette. Couldn't happen to a nicer person!

Laura Brito
05-26-2002, 05:00 AM
I am not selling my art on ebay yet, but I have been selling jewelry on ebay for many years. I have found that eventually you will have a following and people will go to your web site, plus now that I have an ebay store I am getting all kinds of sales (I have over 700 items in it) and am very surprised that this is working so well. I have found that you have to be able to modify your business to suit the market at any time. Be willing to change and do whatever it takes to hold the interest of the customers. I do make my sole living on ebay (my whole family, husband, myself and daughter). We have a combined store that we draw people into. Soon I plan on starting to sell my art in there too! I am hoping for good results (hope hope hope) heheh. I have been watching others and how they do business and think I will be ok after a few months. On ebay I am beadaholic. I really have fun with it sometimes! Outside sales are the best, and now that ebay relaxed its links in the about me page it has really helped get people there.

Laura

arlene
05-26-2002, 10:40 AM
Laura you say you've been selling your beads on ebay for many years. Question how long after you started selling did you:
1. Start seeing it pay off
2. Open a store?

Laura Brito
05-26-2002, 12:30 PM
I have been on ebay since conception, we used to only be able to post two items a day, imagine trying to make a living! hehe, it was really bad. At least then I had another outlet for income. I started seeing a good profit right off the bat. I am a hot glass artist so I create things from hot glass in a torch. It is an art form all by itself. But we have some low times, right now. So I am looking at alternatives for making money and since I produce enough art to sell some I think I will do that too. But I am not really sure yet about that part.

My store is a new thing, I have only had it for about 3 months now, ebay wrote me and congradulated me on how good of a job I did on it, if you look at my about me page on ebay you will see what I mean. They told me it was the nicest they had ever seen, even if I do have links to my web site <grin> they allow it, just don't really like it. Right now in the last 3 months I would say I have sold at least 1500.00 off of my ebay store alone, so it does work, but you need to know how to drive people to it. :cat:

It is the key thing about a store on ebay, I read the forums and loads of people complain about the stores, but I can't complain, it is cheap to list there and you can put up things for 4 months (which is what I do exclusively), my main expense there is the gallery picture which is just the most important part, you just have to do that. It is what draws people into the item.

I have even sold items in there to people who are not my customers in auctions. They do not do auctions. So it is a whole new different market.

I am glad to help!
Laura

tammy
05-26-2002, 02:06 PM
When my art sells are slow I found that I can sell my excess art books with lots of success. Sometimes it helps to have other things to sell. I'm glad to see the successes here. I've heard of others that actually make their living on eBay or auctions. So's my dream!

CathyD
05-27-2002, 02:09 AM
Laura, I am so excited you are here!! I too would love to make my living from ebay. I would appreciate any tips you have to share from your ebay experiences. Do you make your jewelry? Do you sell everything under one user name?
Thanks for sharing!
Congratulations Suzette on your sales. That is really terrific.
Very motivating!
Cathy

Laura Brito
05-27-2002, 02:31 AM
We (our family) uses 3 IDs, beadaholic, beadedlizardartglass and blue_rain_glass. We all are connected through our 1 ebay store that is under beadaholic. Anything that we list that doesn't sell in an auction is moved to the store. Each of us uses a different logo so the person looking at our ebay store items knows who made it. Yes we make almost all of our jewelry, not 100%. I will often purchase items that I think are interesting and unique to broaden what I offer. I am glad to help. Check out my store so you can see how it is setup. I use my about me page as the portal to the store. It has been a long job to figure it all out, but it has paid off.

I will be gone until Wensday to Bison Ranch in Arizona for a much needed fun time!

Laura