PDA

View Full Version : trillium

bayoudragon
08-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Here's something I worked on this weekend. It based off a pic one of our nature center volunteers took. It's one of his favorite shots of our native trilliums, so I'm going to give it to him as a gift for all his hard work and dedication. :)

Oh, Mum or Carol, I'm new to acrylics... what do you seal this with, or do you need to?? :confused:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2007/73972-johns_trilliums_post.jpg

4x6, fluid acrylics on black colourfix paper... (colourfix comes out grainy-looking with a scanner... o.O)

-BD

yahooserious
08-05-2007, 08:55 PM
This is gorgeous. There is an article or two about sealing watercolor paintings in the Watercolor Forum. I would think a light spray with workable fixative and then a light spray or coat of non-yellowing clear acrylic.

Emilie

Lady Carol
08-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Seal it with varnish. Golden has a good product that you dilute with water called polymer varnish with UVLS. I like the gloss varnish mostly because I glaze with gloss medium and it evens out the gloss vs. matte areas. I think gloss makes acrylic better but then that is my opinion. Actually my varnish method is two coats of glazing medium to bring out the intensity of the colour and two coats of varnish. It takes about 3 hr with drying time to do this. I am not sure about the spraying the piece. I haven't had any success with spraying acrylics with varnish, but others have.

OK. Having said all that, I haven't said anything about the painting which is lovely. I like the balance between the green and the red. It is stunning. They are going to love it.

C_Line
08-05-2007, 10:58 PM
Indeed, the composition and shadows are magnificent. I use Liquitex combination glazing medium and varnish. Works good for me.

bayoudragon
08-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Thank you all for the tips (and the kudos). Hmmm.... varnish and a new medium... sounds like the perfect excuse to take a trip to the art store! :D WooHoo!

debsn2paintn
08-05-2007, 11:47 PM
Your new to acrylics? You could have fooled me, this is just really beautiful!

M Douglas
08-06-2007, 03:19 AM
Wonderful painting, great depth.

Melodie

valchina612
08-06-2007, 05:21 AM
This is absolutely gorgeous -- just love the colours and the composition. If you can do this when you're new to Acrylics, I can't wait to see what you are doing when you're "experienced". Stunning. :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

chaosia
08-06-2007, 06:11 AM
...i'm jealous....you can paint so well! though i've never used the acryllics you used. anyways back to the painting which is stunning and love the little details in the leaves.

robynsin
08-06-2007, 09:36 AM
I love the way this flower is reaching out into my space! Beautiful pictures and a new medium - amazing.

vhere
08-06-2007, 10:36 AM
it's lovely :)

are you going to frame it behind glass? because if so I wouldn't varnish it.

Personally I dislike shiny shiny paintings in acrylic or oils and only use matte or the varnish with only a soft slight sheen, I think that the shine takes away from the painting in the same way as glass over it does. I like to see the work clearly.

bayoudragon
08-06-2007, 10:37 AM
awww, shucks... you guys are making me blush... :o

While I'm new to acrylics, I'm not new to painting. I first started in oils, but I thinned my paint A LOT... lots of turps. I took a 10 year hiatus from painting (which I should have never done), and the thought of using so much turpentine in my new little poorly-ventilated condo just didn't sound good. I've developed many allergies/intolerances over the years (hairspray, suntan lotion, etc), so I wanted to find an alternative.

Regular acrylics drove me nuts! I couldn't thin them enough... big, gooey, stingy mess. :lol: Fluid acrylics? Match made in heaven!! :D

Thank you all for your kind words! :)

*Marina*
08-06-2007, 02:44 PM
What a gorgeous painting, composition, colours, light, just everything. Great.

lilbelle
08-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Fabulous!! Everything about it is wonderful!

madmum
08-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Unusual and quite beautiful flower, and your painting is stunning! :clap:

Ruth

Katherine T
08-06-2007, 05:00 PM
You have me intrigued as to how you tackled arcrylics!

It's a lovely painting - I would have maybe guessed watercolour with body added or maybe even a fine oil painting.

And I really like the impact of the colourfix on it.

Charlie's Mum
08-06-2007, 06:08 PM
Ang, this is absolutely gorgeous! subtle greens and brilliant reds - lovely!

As it's on paper, and I guess you'll be framing it behind glass, it doesn't need to be sealed/varnished.
I don't seal/varnish my acrylic inks! - and they're virtually the same as the fluid acrylics.

Lucky friend! :D

bayoudragon
08-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Thank you all so much! :)