PDA

View Full Version : Greenie's Weekly Aug 5 - 11

Lady Carol
08-05-2007, 07:51 AM
Welcome yet again for those who are just starting to find us. Word apparently is slowly getting. Come on in and introduce yourself...

Dolores, Val & Gill welcome to the forum.

swampborn
08-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Carol,
This is a great new forum! :) I haven't tried painting flowers yet but I love all the beautiful work that has been posted here.
Gaill

bayoudragon
08-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Well, since I didn't properly introduce myself in last week's thread, I will do so this week's. :)

Now, while fantasy rules my head, nature rules my heart! I'm the education curator for a local nature center, and I consider myself lucky to work where I do. I get to watch the seasons change, the animals go about their daily lives, and the plants come and go throughout the year. I definitely have an office with a view! :D

I also volunteered with NWF's Backyard Wildlife Habitat program... I actually trained the Habitat Steward volunteers. Work got too demanding though, and I had to quit :(... but now I volunteer here! :D

I hoping this forum will help motivate me to do more nature works. I started one yesterday, and hopefully I can get it done and posted sometime this week. And I promise... it's not a dragon! :rolleyes:

-Angela :wave:

chaosia
08-05-2007, 11:50 AM
hehe i'm following BD over from the fantasy section, i adore flowers i have over 300 orchid photos XD they're not all brilliant but i can't help but take photos of them.
i've not done much floral artwork lately unless it's been apart of a fantasy drawing, but i used nature as base of theme of work for a 2year course when was younger and i'm starting to miss it.
think i have just added some more stuff to my to do list oh well, i shall enjoy the stunning artwork by others for now ^^

Lori Andrews
08-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Carol, I am soooooooo glad I found this forum, I had no idea it was here. Will be lurking quite often.
Lori

chaosia
08-05-2007, 02:08 PM
have a query, can i cross post an image thats well fantasy and floral? BD will know which one i mean when i say the fae dragon on a daffodil.

bayoudragon
08-05-2007, 02:15 PM
I'll check into that! :)

mpopinz
08-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Hello, Hello!!
I usually just hang out in the watercolor forum, and only discovered this glorious new thread by happenstance. Florals & Botanicals are my very favorites subject to paint and so this is very exciting for me. What I've seen has inspired me to paint again, (which of course means posting). I look forward to spending more time here.

Thanks..

Iris

gnu
08-05-2007, 03:04 PM
thanks Carol...could we perhaps suggest that new forums get broadcast in existing forums, or at least somewhere we can all see? Or else this happened and I just didn't see....
Anyway, funny but I am hardly doing florals at present, in fact slowing down till something else sells. I have 2 paintings in a local gallery, just gone on display so we'll see. I am majorly in to abstracts at the mo and enjoying this, plus it's very fast, I guess my skills and experience finally enable me to play in this area...Got some events coming up to compete in.so my energies are going into some decision making....
enjoy the new forum, it's neato that it finally came to pass....

Lady Carol
08-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Welcome Iris. Come and settle in. We would love to see some of your flower paintings.

Gill there is another forum in the pipeline and the announcement will evidently not be made until that one launches at the end of the month.

C_Line
08-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Nice to meet everyone and get acquainted with some new artists! This buzz of excitement is thrilling.

debsn2paintn
08-05-2007, 05:25 PM
I live in So. California, spend lots of time in the photography forum, Decorative Arts, and a little time in the Acrylic forum.

I'm so excited to have a flower forum since it's my favorite thing to photograph and paint. It's also always fun to meet other people from other forums :)

Charlie's Mum
08-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Hi to all the newbies especially - and to the not-so-oldies I already know! :D

It's good to have you coming to this new forum - it's been asked for over a l-o-n-g period of time!

Don't forget, like any other forum, we'll welcome ideas of what you'd like to see here and do here! :D We already have some ideas in the pipeline, but your views are needed!!!

..... and remember, in this chat thread just about anything goes! :lol:

Selahs art
08-06-2007, 02:33 AM
Hi,
Only discovered it by coincidence,
You will see me every now and then.
Love painting flowers too

Retha

Lady Carol
08-06-2007, 08:25 AM
welcome retha

robynsin
08-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Congratulatons getting this forum going. I came for a quick look but there is no such thing, such is the standard of the work. It's a feast I'll have to return to later.

Lady Carol
08-06-2007, 10:00 AM
welcome too robynsin

CLWilliams
08-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Hello. I usually hang out in the Watercolor section and visit the creature features in Fantasy/SciFi.

I have to head off for work in a minute, but I needed to ask where are the flowers. I found last weeks thread too, but haven't had a chance to find the flowers.

Do we post or do we actually get to trade flowers? Anything is good, and glad to meet you.

Charlotte

Lady Carol
08-06-2007, 10:34 AM
I have to head off for work in a minute, but I needed to ask where are the flowers. I found last weeks thread too, but haven't had a chance to find the flowers.

Do we post or do we actually get to trade flowers? Anything is good, and glad to meet you.

Charlotte
Charlotte, not sure what flowers you are referring to. Nearly all the threads have flowers and plants in them. This forum is not for the trade of flowers unless you wish to do that privately with someone. We certainly will not be supporting threads requesting the trade of flowers or plants.

Andee
08-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Hi everybody! I usually hang out in the Wearable Arts forum (and sometimes in Photography), but I love flowers, so I may drop in here from time to time, ooohing and aaahing about your work and posting the occasional flower photo. Mostly I make jewellery, but I dabbled in pastels and acrylics for a while and usually painted flowers, and since I started photography flowers and nature in general are my favourite subjects. I look forward to getting to know you all! :)

Artist_by_Accident
08-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Hi all, I guess you could call me an official WC lurker as I rarely post but this forum has drawn me out of the woodwork!

ABA

ranunkel
08-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Hi

I am so happy I found this forum. I haven't been drawing and painting for a long time, but I used to post in Fantasy/Sci-Fi , and in the water color Forum.

I am not very good at flowers so I would like to join you, and perhaps get some help on my flowers.

I draw and paint a lot of fairies, and they ofthen have to be dressed up in flowers or sit on one.

http://www.dwain.dk/thoughts/oca-log-book/begonie500.JPG

This is a color pencil drawing i did almost a year ago.
http://www.paperdollcafe.dk/fairy-cafe/pompom400.JPG

This is one of my fairy drawings in cp.

Not sure if I sould post the drawings here? but thought it would show what I like to do:)

Katherine T
08-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Hi I'm Katherine and I post in various places around WC as well has blogging (http://makingamark.blogspot.com) on a daily basis (and I recognise a few blogging friends ;) ), work mainly in pastels, coloured pencils and pen and ink, draw a lot of flowers (http://www.pastelsandpencils.com/flower.html) and have been waiting for this forum for a long time!

I was just wondering whether there should be a formal introductions thread for the forum - as some of the other forums have - so that new people coming along in the future can read about everybody. All the introductions in this thread will be lost as the weekly thread drops off the page.

Can I encourage people to go and post in the thread I started which asks which are your favourite gardens (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437102) that you visit to see the flowers and get reference material. I'm rustling up my info about Sissinghurst, Kew and Munstead Wood. I'd love to hear about other gardens.

madmum
08-06-2007, 03:19 PM
This was a surprise! How long has this forum existed without any announcement?

I'm Ruth, I LOVE painting florals and "botanicals" (not in the true sense of the word) in watercolour. Looking forward to seeing lots of florals in all media!

Ruth

Lady Carol
08-06-2007, 03:35 PM
The southwest/western art forum hasn't been announced either. It is just getting around via word of mouth so to speak.

CLWilliams
08-06-2007, 03:52 PM
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n106/Charlotte_044/beesinblackberryflowers.jpg
I've tried a number of times to get photos of bees on flowers, and finally got this one a few weeks ago. Charlotte

Charlie's Mum
08-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Hello particularly to the newcomers, but also to the ,ore forum savvy people too! :D
Marianne - a warm welcome back to 'painting'! Can I persuade you to open a thread with your floral work so other members can see and appreciate it please? The fairy's OK to live in this thread, but otherwise she'll have to stay 'home' in fantasy! :lol: Please do open your own thread with the lovely potted plant!

Charlotte - welcome too!
That's a lovely light on the plant in your photo - please also open your own thread so others may see it ... not everyone joins in the chat thread here :D

Hi Ruth - we've only been open for business a week - so you haven't taken long to find us! Hopefully, Admin will make an announcement soon! Meanwhile, please share your lovely work in the usual manner :D

Hi Katherine - no doubt we'll all become known to each other in the course of time!
Welcome to the forum.

Hi Robyn! Another forum to share your work with us! ;)

Andee - welcome ... and if you have some floral jewellery, open a thread and share that too!

ABA - come out into the sun! Flowers die from lack of light!!!!!!! Look forward to seeing your work! :D

Well, we've been busy in our garden making the most of what precious summer weather we've had this year! We're trying to fit in a whole season's cutting back and redesigning in the few dry days we've had! The garden is/was so much like a jungle, many plants were completely devoid of light and struggling to reach light and air! I'm longing to get to the creative bit and plant! :lol:

Elian
08-07-2007, 02:03 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to post an introduction as I'm still finding my way around

I'm a retired Scot and live in Melbourne Australia with a very understanding husband and no pets.

I only paint botanicals in watercolour and am still learning and honing skills - I particularly enjoy graphite work

I contribute to another botanical art forum which is great. Am I allowed to post the link?

I've pulled up a chair and depending on the time of day will have a coffee or wine in hand :wink2: and my husband isn't going to see me for days whilst I go through all the posts on this list.......sigh of contentment, and look at all the lovely work I'm sure is there.

Oh! I also blether a lot :lol:

Elian
alias Eiblhin

C_Line
08-07-2007, 06:57 AM
Welcome Elian! You've found the right spot to post your floral and botanical artworks. Why not upload your own thread here to show us your work? Let me know if you need any help.

Lady Carol
08-07-2007, 08:07 AM
Oh! I also blether a lot :lol:

Elian
alias Eiblhin
:lol: Welcome aboard, Elian. I don't mind blethering :lol:

ranunkel
08-07-2007, 09:39 AM
I have a question, but not sure where to ask so now I try here:)
How do you make the banners with the little images showing your art?

I did try to down size some of my art but it wont work.

Are you using some kind of image/banner generator?

Charlie's Mum
08-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Hi Marianne - here's a link to Making a Banner (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/5712/608/).
You need to resize the images to 60pixels high (the banner size is 60 x 480) - they're really quite easy to do!
Let me know if you have problems :D

midcoast
08-07-2007, 12:29 PM
YAY! for this forum! I have wanted a forum like this for some time because my florals aren't considered "still life" (they're growing garden flowers) and aren't expansive enough to be considered landscapes. Thanks to WC! for providing this much-needed forum :)

Nancy

Lady Carol
08-07-2007, 12:31 PM
YAY! for this forum! I have wanted a forum like this for some time because my florals aren't considered "still life" (they're growing garden flowers) and aren't expansive enough to be considered landscapes. Thanks to WC! for providing this much-needed forum :)

Nancy
Nancy, your needs were one of the reasons why we started this forum

midcoast
08-07-2007, 12:43 PM
I guess I'd better get busy and start posting my painting then ;)

Nancy

frida
08-07-2007, 01:31 PM
I also find this forum fills in a strong WC! need... :thumbsup:

I have been around for a while, mainly at the CP forum (don't tell anyone, I am in lurking mode right now, :o )

I am one of the volunteers who run the Botanical Artists of Canada, BAC, www.botanicalartistsofcanada.org , but I am yet to produce a botanical piece in the "classic" sense. So far I do what are called Florals, since mine all have a BG, usually planned as a foil to the flowers/plants, but not botanically connected. If I draw leaves, though, they DO go with that particular flower, and accuracy is important to me. But stylized backgrounds are up to me! :D

Thank you so much for this great addition to WC!

~frangipani~
08-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Hi! Great to see this new forum, I am really looking forward to browsing through the threads here after a long day at work. Occaisionally I may even post something:), if only I had a few more hours in the day... so many ideas and not enough time to use them:(

Katherine T
08-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Hi Raquel! :wave::wave::wave: (waving furiously!) :D

botanicalartistry
08-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Great to see this forum - its been a long time coming.

Cheers,

Peter

Lady Carol
08-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Welcome Peter and Rachel.

amaze_1101
08-08-2007, 03:47 AM
Hi just got word of the new forum. Good to see lots of familar friends here and I look forward to getting to know the new faces.

For those who don't know me. I've been working in acrylics and also watercolour for a few years now. I paint full time and come here to WetC for artistic nourishment on all levels.

It will be wonderful to see florals and botanicals captured in all the different mediums so I'm really looking forward to browsing the threads. I'm sure this will be a popular place. Well done to the team who got it together!

Cheers

Charlie's Mum
08-08-2007, 05:08 AM
Welcome Raquel, Sue and Peter. :D We look forward to getting to know you and your work!

Hi Elaine! :wave: - I'm sure our new friends will be delighted to see your works here! :D

Elian
08-08-2007, 07:11 AM
Is there anyway the threads you have contributed to or follow can be found quickly - I'm not able to visit every day and I can see myself getting lost among all the traffic as I can't remember all the headers:(

I'll try and sort out one of those banner thingies with some work

Elian

Charlie's Mum
08-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Normally, if you have allowed it in your personal WC, you will be notified of comments to the thread you've already posted in.
Check 'My WC!' - top left, blue bar and check all your options.
You should also be able to subscribe to a thread - check out the options along the top of the page :D

frida
08-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Hi Raquel! :wave::wave::wave: (waving furiously!) :D
Hi Katherine...! :wave: Enthusiastic and promising forum, eh?

frida
08-08-2007, 05:34 PM
Is there anyway the threads you have contributed to or follow can be found quickly - I'm not able to visit every day and I can see myself getting lost among all the traffic as I can't remember all the headers:(
I'll try and sort out one of those banner thingies with some work Elian
Hi Elian! :wave: Great to meet you here too! :D

I am sure you'll find your way around pretty soon... This is my second banner, and someone else made them for me, because I still don't "get it" :o

ranunkel
08-09-2007, 05:12 PM
I just wanted to let you know that I wont be online the next 4 days.
I am going to Copenhagen to visit my sister, and get a tripod for my camera.

I stumbled over this tutorial about painting flowers in Corel Paint
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/gb/en/Content/1171405215200

See you in 4 days :)

C_Line
08-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Have a safe and fun trip Marianne and thanks for sharing the tutorial!

Elian
08-11-2007, 02:42 AM
Hi Elian! :wave: Great to meet you here too! :D
I am sure you'll find your way around pretty soon... This is my second banner,
nd someone else made them for me, because I still don't "get it" :o

Hi Frida:clap::clap:Isn't it nice to know people like that. There is just so much to see - I'm like Alice in Wonderland here.

Looks like I might get some helpful links for my new Wacom I'm still struggling with ....plus other goodies - I need a 36 hr day at the moment

Elian

Elian
08-11-2007, 02:44 AM
Normally, if you have allowed it in your personal WC, you will be notified of comments to the thread you've already posted in.
Check 'My WC!' - top left, blue bar and check all your options.
You should also be able to subscribe to a thread - check out the options along the top of the page :D

Thanks Charlies mum...
I found it!! :clap: I also realised that threads I've previously looked at stay highlighted - neat trick

Elian

Elian
08-11-2007, 02:46 AM
I stumbled over this tutorial about painting flowers in Corel Paint
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/gb/en/Content/1171405215200

Ever so good !:thumbsup::thumbsup:- my many thanks - it seems nice and clear for a beginner like me

Elian