PDA

View Full Version : Some Weeds from BC

moccasin
08-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Hi there!

I saw Karen's weed thread and thought I'd share these - common weeds found everywhere in BC. I have a gazillion weed pics - have been trying to document them the past couple of years.

This is Western Goat's-Beard (Tragopogon dubius)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1117/563273047_8fbfff9adb_o.jpg

This is Sulphur Cinquefoil (Potentilla recta)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1295/563273059_1f91b01960_o.jpg

Common Milkweed Flower next ...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1385/563272981_505a38370e_o.jpg

Cheers,
Sue :heart:

Lady Carol
08-03-2007, 07:42 PM
A weed is only a plant out of place. I like the first it is very textural and a bit like a star fish. Very interesting. The other two can have a place in my garden. They are very pretty.....just as long as they are not invasive that is :lol:

ticktock01
08-03-2007, 10:59 PM
Sue,
I can tell you are having all kinds of fun over here. Even showing off some of your OOBs:clap:

Charlie's Mum
08-04-2007, 07:18 AM
Striking photos - particularly #1.
I'm sure the potentilla should be in gardens! ... and the Milkweed!

Karen Margulis
08-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Wow!!! Great photos. I think I saw some milkweed the other day fo something similar. Thanks for sharing!

Karen

Mikki Petersen
08-04-2007, 03:13 PM
STunning! I'm most impressed you actually know the names of these plants. We photograph all the plant life where ever we go but seldom know what to call the plants.

Mikki

yahooserious
08-05-2007, 09:53 PM
They're all gorgeous, but the third is my favorite. Milkweed??

Emilie

Elian
08-07-2007, 02:21 AM
I think weeds are very under rated as subjects and have often thought of doing a series on them.
I don't know any of these, can you tellme how large the flowers actually are?

Elian [in Oz]

Gilberte
08-07-2007, 02:35 AM
great shots !

ranunkel
08-07-2007, 02:44 AM
Lovely weeds!
What kind of camera do you use ?
Your photos are very nice and sharp.

moccasin
08-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Thank you all for your comments.

I use a Nikon D70 with a variery of lenses. I love it to bits! Great camera. My lenses are listed in my sig.

The milkweed flower is actually a ball of these individual flowers on a tall stalk. There can be several "balls" on one stalk. Here's a few more shots ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2007/17777-wc-DSC_6648.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2007/17777-wc-DSC_6653.jpg

The Sulphur Cinquefoil is a tiny flower - only about an inch across.

The Goat's Beard is one of my favs. They look a lot like a dandelion - even the flower, except it has fewer petals on the flower head and they have pointed tips. The seed head is like a dandelion, too but much larger - it can be as big as 6 inches across ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2007/17777-Goats-beard-DSC_6917.jpg

After the seeds have "flown" and the plant has dried in late August, you are left with what my first picture looks like.

Cheers,

Katherine T
08-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Sue - you're making me want a new camera. These are really fabulous photos and it's lovely to see your weeds!

ChuckL
08-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Hi Sue
These are stunning. It's so enjoyable to view the different techniques here in the new forum. I have a patch of milkweed I let grow in my garden every year. I've never seen it look so beautiful! Guess I should take a closer look! I let grow mostly because of the Monarch Butterflys that use it to breed. My favorite of all has to be the Western Goats Beard. I'm an old floral designer and its not too often I get to see something new and different. Thanks for showing.
....Chuck

vhere
08-07-2007, 07:25 PM
these are lovely photos and beautifully composed - you've got a great 'eye' :)

Elian
08-08-2007, 06:59 AM
They are just delightful - I have a friend who publishes books on weeds, but only Australian ones.
Isn't the construction of the milkweed brilliant?? - so intricate.
Is it just me or are other peoples weeds more interesting

Elian

vhere
08-08-2007, 11:52 AM
me too :)

The hedgerows in Cornwall in May are to die for!

Katherine T
08-08-2007, 12:01 PM
I beg to differ - try Mid/West Wales! :) I was blown away by the wild flowers when I was there one year on business. It's a really long journey from London but each week I used to perk up as soon as I got to the bit where the wild flowers/weeds started. I also devised a neat route from my hotel to the offices I was visiting which maximised the hedgerow quota!

Basically anywhere where there isn't a lot of traffic or people or that I'm not overly familiar with are always the best! ;)

vhere
08-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Oh but you should see Cornwall! because the hedges are ancient drystone wall, earth covered and then planted with hawthorn bushes and covered in wild flowers they are wonderful.

In May there are the last of the primroses and bluebells, wild garlic, some kind of early Queen Anne's lace, foxgloves, Ragged Robin, Speedwell or Forget me nots or something little and blue, wild geraniums ...... and a zillion more, absolutely incredible believe me :) and banked up high in tiny lanes that bring them right up to and of course higher than your car windows. It's all pinks and blues and purples and white - oh and of course the tree blossom too.

I know Wales is gorgeous too :D

gaykir
08-08-2007, 03:54 PM
I keep coming back to this thread. I am just nuts over these photos. I wouldn't know a milkweed if it was in my kitchen but I may just look for some now! These are so interesting and delicate. Thanks for posting them!

frida
08-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Fantastic photography Sue!!! :clap: Your close-ups are amazing...

I hope you'll be posting some photos in the RIL too! :cool: I have some flowers there too.

Here in Toronto the last weed to bloom is Goldenrod, and it is getting ready to signal the end of summer, :crying: Right now Queen Anne's Lace is at its best, and so is the gorgeous powder blue Chicory.

We could start a Wildflower thread, where we all can post photos of our local weeds, find out if they are to be found in other countries and get to see those in the rest of the world!

BAC, www.botanicalartistsofcanada.org , is organizing a major juried show in October, with a subject of native Canadian plants. I found out that Dandelion, so common here, is also common elsewhere...!

painterbear
08-09-2007, 05:18 AM
Sue,
Your "weeds" are actually very beautiful flowers when you photograph them the way you do. :D

The first one is a little exotic though. It does remind me of a starfish out of water.

I really like the pink ones.

Your photos are showing us we need to look at things a little more closely to see the beauty lurking in tiny places. :cool:

Sylvia

robynsin
08-09-2007, 01:02 PM
My weeds have never looked like this either, Sue. It's one benefit of moving hemispheres - there are so many botanical treasures for me to see for the first time. Beautiful 'camera paintings'. I love the goat's beard too - and the little botanical lesson.

moccasin
08-10-2007, 01:10 AM
Thank you, all of you, for your responses and comments. I have enjoyed sharing these with you.

I have many, many more weed and flower photos (have over 300,000 images on this computer :eek: ) but will not be posting them here in this forum until the issue of photography as an art form is resolved. If you care to, you can browse the Photography Forum for botanical images - there are lots of artists there who shoot flowers.

If you see something you like over there, please PM the photographer to ask permission to use it as a reference. All photographs are copyrighted, regardless of where you find them. Many of us are happy to share with other WC members. For example, there is a painter in the Watercolour Forum who has used some of my photos of California Quail as references, another in oils who asked me for images of cows. Usually I flood them with ref pics :D.

Cheers,