PDA

View Full Version : "Florida Revisited" Series - Painting #1 "Fronds" WIP

C_Line
08-02-2007, 11:30 PM
Cross-posted from Acrylics...thought it was appropriate for here too!
Okay, that was a much too long title. Sorry.

I took more photos and this one happens to be from a lovely palm tree on Sanibel near the lighthouse.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2007/94054-Fronds_Photo_small.JPG

Here's my start on an 18 x 24" gallery wrapped canvas. Didn't get to paint long tonight, so the values are very well established yet. Anyway, I wanted an abstracted view of the subject. I've a long ways to go and no telling where it will end up!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2007/94054-Fronds_Layout_Small.JPG

bayoudragon
08-02-2007, 11:35 PM
oooh, a WIP! Pulling up a chair for this one! :)

paintfool
08-03-2007, 06:11 AM
yay! A WIP!! Love it! I'll be glued to me seat. :D

Florida girl here... :D

C_Line
08-03-2007, 06:21 AM
Thanks. Hope to paint again tonight.

Karen Margulis
08-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Oh yes I love a wip...and Sanibel is my Favorite place!!! Love those palm trees!

Karen

C_Line
08-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Thanks everyone. I can see due to the lateness of the hour of my posting, I meant to say "the values aren't very well established yet".

lilbelle
08-03-2007, 11:02 AM
Love the colours already!

Charlie's Mum
08-03-2007, 12:28 PM
I was about to edit your post Celeste - but as you've told everyone what you meant - I'll leave it! :lol:

Our inaugural WIP! Keeping my eyes peeled! :D

vhere
08-03-2007, 01:11 PM
watching :)

Mikki Petersen
08-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Terrific subject to work for an abstracted style. Can't wait to see where this one goes.

Mikki

M Douglas
08-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Great job so far, I'm looking forward to your next update.

Melodie

C_Line
08-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll have something to update sometime this weekend. Looks like my painting date tonight has been preempted!

debsn2paintn
08-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Celeste- this looks great already.

C_Line
08-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Sorry to disappoint with our first WIP here :( but, this is a painting that has entered "The Land of Hideousness" and is going into oblivion!

Anyway, you win some and you lose some. I believe where I went wrong was too many colors which sadly ended up muddy. Actually, the photo of the painting looks better than the painting!

I will however reclaim the stretchers and start a fresh painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2007/94054-Fronds_Small_2.JPG

Lady Carol
08-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Really Celeste? You have give up on this. I am surprised. It looks good from my side of the fence.

C_Line
08-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Maybe I'm just tired of looking at it. Will add some specks and look at it again in a new light with fresh eyes. Thanks Carol. It never pays to make hasty decisions, does it?

bayoudragon
08-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Oh, no... please don't trash it! It has a wonderful warmth to it. Reminds me of the setting sun sinking below the ocean's horizon with those wonderful warm rays radiating off the fronds (ok, ok... I'll admit it... while laying in a hammock with pina colada in hand...but that's beside the point :rolleyes:).

Celeste, I really do think it's lovely. :)

M Douglas
08-05-2007, 02:15 PM
It really does look good, why not just put it aside for a few days or weeks or months lol. I've had the same problem with some of my paintings where i'm just not happy with them and once I leave them alone for a while I can go back to them make a few minor adjustments and wonder why I had such a problem with them.lol

Melodie

C_Line
08-05-2007, 05:01 PM
You all are absolutely correct. It's just that for so many years I had "unfinished" projects and it goes against my nature to have those now, but it's good to set things aside and take a look fresh sometimes.

debsn2paintn
08-05-2007, 08:04 PM
I really like this painting too! Maybe you see something that we can't in the small little photo, but it looks really good to me. :)

yahooserious
08-05-2007, 09:31 PM
It's looking good to me, too. Don't give up...

Emilie

C_Line
08-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Well, I worked on it a bit more tonight, but knew that I needed to set it aside and so I did something different, really different! Will post separately.

C_Line
08-08-2007, 11:01 PM
I got to paint a tiny bit more ... I mean tiny as in about 30 minutes on this one tonight, and I'm liking it more now so it won't go in the recycle bin just yet

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2007/94054-Fronds_8-8-07_small.JPG

Still quite a ways to go, but making some progress I think.

robynsin
08-09-2007, 01:45 PM
I was shocked you were about to trash this, Celeste. Talk about drama. I love the texture and where you are up to now. It is lovely to have the opportunity to her the artist's private concerns.

C_Line
08-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Thanks Robyn; you'll learn, I'm not one to hold back too much when it comes to my concerns or personal issues - I appreciate the feedback from "fresh" eyes at WC.

ranunkel
08-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks for sharing your painting processes with us.
It's nice to know that I am not the only one who gets frustrated with my paintings;)

~frangipani~
08-09-2007, 05:13 PM
I'm glad to see you are still working on this, such an interesting abstract view of a palm tree. It can be so frustrating when something you are working on goes awry, but also a great learning experience (I have a massive stack of these:lol: ). But at the end of the day it is the artist that has to be happy with the end product, as it is your name that is put on it (at least that is my opinion).

C_Line
08-09-2007, 06:17 PM
But at the end of the day it is the artist that has to be happy with the end product, as it is your name that is put on it (at least that is my opinion).

Funny you should mention that as I've been meditating on this very thought these past few days. Someone said "just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not any good"...I know that's true, and I'm not trying to have an ego-centric attitude, but I still think I have to be happy with the results to sign it and show it and potentially sell it in the end.

So, I'll press on!

debsn2paintn
08-09-2007, 07:03 PM
I got to paint a tiny bit more ... I mean tiny as in about 30 minutes on this one tonight, and I'm liking it more now so it won't go in the recycle bin just yet

Yet...huh lol. I really think this is pretty, and I'm sure you can pull it off! :)

C_Line
08-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Okay, at the end of last week before we had to vacate our house to get AC worked on I did a bit more on this one. I'm going backwards once again value wise to bring it to where I want. Working lots on textures/values/colors. Still along way from where it will ultimately be, but since this is a WIP thought I'd show at this stage. Please note that the background will ultimately be much darker values, I just wasn't happy where it previously was colorwise so thought I'd back that out.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2007/94054-fronds_8-13-07_small.JPG

mistiaggie
08-13-2007, 02:55 PM
I too love the way the tropical plants in South Florida have a unique patterns. I love looking close up at these to form abstracts. Very nice!

Lady Carol
08-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Celeste it is interesting to watch you work on this and go through your thoughts and struggles. I am sure you will get it perfect, when have you ever not had the perfect painting leave your hands?

SunsetSue
08-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Celeste, your struggle is beginning to pay off. Sometimes we need to step backwards in order to go forward. I am sure you will weave your magic and this will end up being one of your best. Now that you have worked on something else for a while, you will remember what attracted you to this piece and you will get it right.

debsn2paintn
08-13-2007, 08:12 PM
I find this really interesting, it really helps to see other people run into problems and have to back up too. Though I thought this was pretty at every step. :)

C_Line
08-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Thanks to everyone so much for pushing me through this project. I'm so glad I listened to everyone and didn't give up. I really did enjoy working on the meticulous textured area weaving through the fronds.

I hope that my sometimes crazy experimenting has made some sense somewhere to someone. I've learned the valuable lesson that when you get stuck, sometimes it really does pay to leave it for awhile so you can give it a fresh approach with fresh point of view.

A new "tool" that I've started using with lots of delight are those round flat foam make-up sponges. You can buy a nice large pack for a couple dollars. They're great for applying smooth washy areas. Also, a neat trick I learned is to use them as a stamp - let them be slightly damp and then with a flat brush paint parallel stripes of paint and then lightly stamp that over an area for repeated patterns. Or, it you want to make softened spots you can do the same. "Cool tool".

C_Line
08-15-2007, 06:26 AM
I think I'm finally finished. I'll take another picture in better light later today, but let me know if you think this can be called finished. I debated over so much detail but I felt that since it was such a closeup it was appropriate.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2007/94054-Fronds_-_Final_Small.JPG

vhere
08-15-2007, 01:05 PM
yes, it's great :) - finished

C_Line
08-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Here's the better daytime photo I promised you:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2007/94054-Fronds_final_small.JPG

And a detail, although I think the colors are a tad off in the detail - the picture above is quite accurate.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2007/94054-Fronds_Detail_Small_1.JPG

~frangipani~
08-15-2007, 05:33 PM
Glad to see you persevered with this, it's lovely. I especially like the way you have captured the texture on the fronds and their fringes. :thumbsup:

C_Line
08-15-2007, 07:34 PM
Thank you Sue and everyone who encouraged me to persevere. Glad I did.

bayoudragon
08-15-2007, 09:40 PM
It's beautiful, Celeste! :)