PDA

View Full Version : watercolor & Prismacolor

ArtWench
05-20-2002, 11:42 AM
Hi everyone, I am somewhat new to Wet Canvas and almost as new to colored pencil. I have been an artist since Mama first placed a crayon in my chubby baby fist; however, as an adult I have concentrated on acrylic painting or graphite drawings. Due to neck surgery, I wasn't able to hold a brush for long periods of time and so gave cp a shot. I am definitely sold!

Anyway, getting back to the subject at hand... Has anyone tried painting in a watercolor background AFTER completing a Prismacolor subject (I do portraits)? It seems like the wax would repel the water colors but fill in the negative spaces rather nicely.

And if you use a watercolor wash, what kind of watercolors do you use? I tried a wash using some cheap cake colors (okay, so they were my 6 year old's) and was dismayed that they had a kind of wierd finish... It almost felt waxy (yeah, I know... but that is what it felt like!)

Ivyleaf
05-20-2002, 12:32 PM
Yes it is possible to use watercolors and prisma's together...a word of caution however, is not to use your water too wet beside the prisma's. In addition to wax, prismas also contain clay and other things that are water soluable, and indeed can cause the pencils to somewhat dissolve in lots of water. *From experience here...lol!*

My suggestion is to do the watercolor background first, with a high quality watercolor, such as Winsor & Newton Artist Grade. You will find a BIG difference between those and student or kid grade watercolors.

Make sure as well you are using a paper that is made for watercolors if you do this, most drawing papers cannot handle the wear and tear watercolors can make to a paper, not to mention the warping it can cause if your paper is not thick enough to handle it. I'd recommend Arches or Winsor and Newton hot pressed or even cold pressed depending on how rough you like your paper.

Most of all, have fun experimenting with the watercolor/CP combination, it's one of my personal favorites, but of course, your results will vary on the materials used.

Welcome to the CP forum, hope to see some of your work!

:) :) :)
Ivy

ArtWench
05-20-2002, 01:04 PM
Thanks Ivy! I hadn't thought about the clay content of the pencils! LOL! I can just see one of my portraits turning to mush! Aaaaaaargh!

Yeah, I have experienced using the water colors on regular paper... The results were rather goopy!

One reason I asked about laying in the wash after doing the portrait is that I found that IF I did the wash before, (with the cheap watercolors) the Prismacolors didn't take too well to the watercolor surface. Okay, well, it didn't make sense to me either!

As soon as I get my website straightened out, I'll post some of my latest work.

pencils4me
05-20-2002, 01:48 PM
welcome!

I found that using a watercolor wash under my cps gave the paper a bit more tooth - both illustration board and bristol- but these were light washes.

TJ

orchidlover6
05-20-2002, 01:58 PM
thanks for asking this question because I was wondering the same thing this weekend. Now I know I could have gone ahead and done a watercolor wash....

arlene
05-20-2002, 02:17 PM
what i would do is use a frisket to mask out the areas that aren't background first, then do a wash over your background...then you can draw on top...hmmmmmmmm think i might have to try it next time!

ArtWench
05-20-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by pencils4me
welcome!

I found that using a watercolor wash under my cps gave the paper a bit more tooth - both illustration board and bristol- but these were light washes.

TJ

Thank you for the welcome!

What brand of water colors do you use?

ArtWench
05-20-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by arlene
what i would do is use a frisket to mask out the areas that aren't background first

Good idea... Now, excuse my ignorance, but what is frisket? And where do I get it?

Someone on another site had suggested that I try frisket film to lift burnished Prismacolors; however, I never could figure out where to find it. :confused:

pencils4me
05-20-2002, 02:55 PM
:D LOL!!!

my personal motto:

"Watercolors are evil!!!!!!"

although I do have a couple tubes of daniel smith watercolors laying around somewhere...... maybe you could pop into the watecolor forum and get more info?

example from a few years ago - prismacolors over watercolor wash on illustration board

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2002/Toro.jpg

TJ

pencils4me
05-20-2002, 02:58 PM
You can find frisket the same place you find your watercolors. Its liquid and comes in a bottle. when it dries its kindof like rubber cement - you peel it off the paper. I would never use it to lift cp - but you can use scotch tape.

TJ

arlene
05-20-2002, 03:45 PM
Tj,
frisket film is different than frisket liquid. Frisket film comes in either sheets or rolls and when used as a frisket, the first thing you do is cut out the areas you want painted leaving the rest covered.

When used with CP's for lifting , it works similar to using scotch tape, only it's not quite as sticky so no lifting of the paper underneath.

pencils4me
05-20-2002, 04:27 PM
Arlene - you just said frisket, if comes in film and liquid you may need to specify which would be best for the application you mentioned. Although using it sounds like a pain.

TJ

ArtWench
05-20-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by pencils4me
:D LOL!!!

my personal motto:

"Watercolors are evil!!!!!!"

Maybe so, but they sure do work for you! What a gorgeous picture!

ArtWench
05-20-2002, 06:33 PM
Can I find the frisket film by the water colors as well?

I am a real bozo when it comes to water colors. I have no delicacy and my paintings end up either looking like mud or are so thick with pigment that they might as well be acrylic. LOL! No wonder I hadn't heard of frisket!

Thanks for the info! Can't wait to try this out!