PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Cactus Flower (x-post in pen & ink)

Ranger Dan
08-02-2007, 04:21 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2007/47176-barrel_flower_13.jpg
This is a few hrs work with color Micron pens. Never sure whether to call it a painting or drawing. Oh, and by a few I mean something on the order of 30 hrs. It is something around 8 x 10 inches? Not sure about the size.

sassybird
08-02-2007, 04:34 AM
Dan, this came out beautifully. The spines on the cactus show so well against that brilliant color. I'm glad you went darker in the middle of the flower. That really makes it pop. I'm happy to see you found your way over here, and I hope to see you posting more work in the future.

sassybird
08-02-2007, 05:15 AM
Dan, I wanted to add that I would love to have a print of this piece.

Diane Cutter
08-02-2007, 07:48 AM
Dan... This simply glows! It's beautifully balanced with color and composition.

I'm curious about your pen application. Is this all pointalist? Have you cross-hatched at all? I've just started doing some pen work so am really started to notice the way others work.

Diane

Kathryn Wilson
08-02-2007, 07:57 AM
Ron, this is wonderful - but what is a micron pen? With this being a forum for all mediums, we all will be getting questions like this.

Ranger Dan
08-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Thank you Charissa, I appreciate your help on this one. I think you can count on a little extra with your Christmas card this year.

Thanks Diane, all stipple on this one. If you check out Pen & Ink, there are all sorts of styles and some WIPs that might help.

Thank you Kathryn, Microns are disposable felt-tipped markers with various sized nibs. The smaller the better for this type of work.

Mikki Petersen
08-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Is this done all in little dots?!? It's stunning and such a great study. Definitely call it a painting! And cross-post over in the new Floral/Botanical forum too.

Mikki

barkingdogg
08-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Wow, Dan!!! I really love this one! Just beautiful!

Jo Castillo
08-02-2007, 09:04 PM
This is gorgeous. What patience you have. Nice to see it here.
Jo

Old Tex
08-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Great job on the flower, Dan!

Ranger Dan
08-04-2007, 04:12 AM
Thanks Mikki, I haven't hardly had time to come back here, let alone check out another forum, but I will be over there and I will be posting, too.

Thanks Susan. I fell in love with cactus way back when I first visited Arizona, and pretty much have been here ever since.

Thanks Jo, Patience to spare unless I happen to be waiting in a slow line or traffic.

Thank you Ralph.

Sonni
08-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Looks like you have a calling for illustration, Dan. And it looks as if the Park Service needs a glassed-lined stomach to see what it's missing. The composition and rendering on this are well done, and a series would be wonderful for painlessly teaching the younger generation a little botany. Keep at it.

Katherine T
08-06-2007, 09:54 AM
This is gorgeous!

I've not used the micron pens before - are they pigment based and lightfast?

Ranger Dan
08-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Thank you Sonni, I like the idea of a series. I have to check my shots of various cacti, there might be some good enough to try that with.

Thanks Katherine, the Micron uses archeival ink, does that answer your question?

Katherine T
08-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks Dan - is Micron the brand name or the manufacturer?

I've just searched my UK online pen site (who have all sorts of good pens) and they don't stock them so i'm trying to see if they are available in the UK but need more details to find out.

objectivistartist
08-06-2007, 03:37 PM
http://www.gellyroll.com/products/pens/pigmamicron/pigmamicron.html this might help........

Katherine T
08-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks Robert

valchina612
08-12-2007, 10:21 AM
Dan, I truly love this one, as I love all of your work. You are one very talented coloured stipple artist. Mmmmm....I wonder which one will go on your Christmas Card this year. :cool: :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

Jo Castillo
08-12-2007, 06:46 PM
http://www.gellyroll.com/products/pens/pigmamicron/pigmamicron.html this might help........

Yes, Katherine, these are such nice pens, with some new colors, too. They come in different widths. I sketch with 05 and 005. They are a lot like ZIG Millennuem (http://www.discountart.com/store/zig-markers.html) pens if you have ever used those.

Pretty nice,
Jo

SunsetSue
08-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Wow Dan this is just beautiful. It would be amazing matted and framed. Well done!