PDA

View Full Version : August 2007 pastel strokes

eagle owl
08-01-2007, 04:30 AM
August pastel strokes

Welcome to pastel strokes challenge for August!

The guidelines are as folows:

An individual volunteering to host the monthly project proposes to a guide or a moderator a new photo reference near the beginning of the month.

The guide or moderator approves the host and reference photo and the selected host posts the project in Pastel Talk and also threads in the Soft Pastel and Oil Pastel forums with links to the Pastel Talk project link.

Interested participants, create a painting from the photo and upload it to this thread for discussion.

The image may be cropped, rearranged, and interpreted in any manner! Use different effects in your software program and try painting something different, tweak the color, add or subtract things!

You can paint as many versions as you like and they can be any size.

Both oilies and softies are invited to play.

The reference pic is of a clematis from my garden.

Be creative but above all have fun!

Carol

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2007/49117-min_flower_1.jpg

alija1001
08-01-2007, 04:53 AM
I am in on this one. I love clematises and have many in my graden.

Pabs
08-01-2007, 05:11 AM
Yep - Pabs is in for this one. Don't worry, I'll find the time from somewhere!!!
Regards,
Pabs

ANGHWAR
08-01-2007, 05:50 AM
Will try to do this one too. Beautiful!!
Anghwar

Pat Isaac
08-01-2007, 09:59 AM
Not sure if I'll get to it this month as I'm moving my studio, but I save the image for later for sure.

Pat

AnnieA
08-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Carol: I'm not sure I'll have time either, but thanks for hosting. And I wanted to compliment you on your choice of images. I think it will lead naturally to some terrific paintings: all those gorgeous colors in the flower, and the beautiful red/violet stems against that dark blue background will be a joy to paint! I'm going to try to make time for it.

LJW
08-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Carol, great photo. I'm not sure I have any purple-reds that colour, but I'll see what I can do. Of course, I may decide to play around with the colours, as suggested in the guidelines. Jane

willG
08-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Hello Carol , thanks for getting me back to work with the pastels , this is my interpretation , I thought I would work a design around the Rouge Cardinal.
Regards Will.

LJW
08-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Will, this is wonderfully done. I love the pattern you created with the repeat of the flowers and they are just glowing! Great job. Jane

Pat Isaac
08-04-2007, 07:21 AM
This is a nice take on the image, Will. You have created a vine-like pattern. Nice color.

Pat

willG
08-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks Pat and Jane, I am pleased you like my design, it gets things going .
Regards, Will

scall0way
08-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Every month I keep saying I'll be in, but the last few months have been pretty rough and I never get around to it. But today is sort of a calm and quiet day - so I figured I could take an hour for myself and get in on it this month!

Not too crazy about this, but I may try to work on it more later, or just move on to other things, :lol: - but this is 45 minutes, soft pastels (mostly NuPastel and Rembrandt) on 9x12 sheet of slate-colored Colourfix.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2007/62165-Flower_Aug_ChallengeJPG.jpg

Pat Isaac
08-05-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm glad that you had some time for yourself and an opportunity to paint. The color is very vibrant in this painting and a nice interpretation of the image. Hope you are feeling better now.

Pat

LJW
08-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Debbie, I think this is a very lively interpretation and the colour is luscious. Glad you were able to find time to paint. Jane

scall0way
08-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Debbie, I think this is a very lively interpretation and the colour is luscious.

Thanks, I *love* bright colors, which is why I could not resist a try. Thanks for the colorful picture Carol!

eagle owl
08-06-2007, 05:50 AM
I'm glad you all like the photo.

Will, that would make a great duvet cover. As far as I know it's a Jackmanii. There are purple tips on the stamens.

Debbie, I love the bright colours.

I'm hoping to paint it myself. It's one of those photos that I want to paint one day - along with dozens of others!

Carol

Kim Bolick
08-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Debbie, I LOVE your painting! Love the colors and contrast!

Will, I really like your "layout" - sorry for the terminology... comes from my graphic design background. What's the proper term... composition?

Kim

Shirl Parker
08-07-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm giving this a try, and here is my WIP from yesterday. I usually work on Colorfix paper, but decided to try Arches 140# watercolor paper for this. First mistake, I used the wrong side, so the "pits" are bigger, more work to fill in.

I'm using OPs by ProArt (made in Taiwan, $5 for 24 colors) which I picked up across the border, for the flower underpainting, because it had the best match for the color of your pic. And also some Pentels.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2007/113427-CCF08072007_00000.jpg

LJW
08-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Lueur, this is coming along nicely.

Here's my interpretation. I decided to play with the image as suggested in the monthly instructions. I used Painter IX to modify the colour somewhat and then applied the "woodcut" effect. I traced this onto my surface using white transfer paper. I had to use black foamcore as this was the only black paper I have. Holbein oil pastels, 8" X 10" (I tided up some edges with black pastel pencil) Jane

Shirl Parker
08-07-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm still in my copying the Old Masters mode, trying to see if I can perfect my skills in reproducing. I don't know why I didn't think to try doing what you did, I use CorelDraw, but maybe I'll try that next.

BTW, following a tip from some book to use graphite pencil on the back for doing a transfer, I have found that I can accomplish the same thing, only more easily, using some of these cheap OPs to color the back of a sketch I want to transfer.

Pat Isaac
08-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Great WIP, lueur. Looking forward to the finish.
Jane, what a nice take on this photo and it does look like a woodcut.

Pat

alija1001
08-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Hi here is my clematis hope you like it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2007/78136-Clematis.jpg :clap:

eyepaint
08-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Hi everyone,

This is my first Pastel Strokes. I was tempted by the dog a few months ago but didn't feel skilled enough to post. I've been practicing pastel work in the weekly sketch thread and in other forums and finally worked up the courage to post an effort here.

This is in Sennelier OPs, of which I have only 8 colours (2 red, 2 blue, 2 yellow, white, black). I tried a bit to capture the purple/magenta of the ref photo but, alas... Here is my 10x12 work on black paper (it might be student pastel paper, I have no idea - I bought it years ago).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2007/96240-IMGP0170.JPG

Cheers,

Cindy234
08-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Hi Y'all! Had to jump in on this one. I've been in pastel retirement since spring, when i took a watercolor class. Felt good to get back into pastels again! :cool: Colourfix paper, Sennies and Terry Ludwig darks.

eyepaint
08-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Hello! Here's an update to my version. I added more of the vines and leaves.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2007/96240-IMGP0187.JPG
Cheers,

LJW
08-10-2007, 10:18 AM
More great interpretations. Gill, nice bright colours - perhaps you could vary the colour in the background a bit. Cindy, lovely shading in the petals and good use of colour variation. Eyepaint, The second version is quite an improvement and your use of colour is very good. Jane

scall0way
08-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Hello! Here's an update to my version. I added more of the vines and leaves.

Wow, a very nice job with only 8 oilies! It just shows what can be done. :)

Pat Isaac
08-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Great color on your painting, Gill. I agree that the background might be a little more varied.
Really like your second painting, ep. I still can't believe you are only using 8 oilies. You do wonders with them.
Never know you'd been away from the pastels, Cindy. Nice soft colors and modeling of petals.

Pat

scall0way
08-10-2007, 11:16 AM
I've been in pastel retirement since spring, when i took a watercolor class.

Watercolor! :eek: Say it ain't so, :lol: . Nice to see you back and glad you have not lost your touch. Come back more often!

Shirl Parker
08-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Here is a followup on my submission. Still a WIP.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2007/113427-CCF08102007_00001.jpg

Thanks,

Shirl

eagle owl
08-11-2007, 06:40 AM
THis is great - lots of paintings since I last had a look.

Jane, your 'woodcut' effect is a very original approach.

Gill, that is a gorgeous pink.

Eyepaint, such a striking image; I love it. You have done wonders with such a limited palette.

Cindy, soft and ethereal; the flower has real depth.

Shirl, it's getting better each time.

Well done everyone :clap: :clap:

Carol

MarinaG
08-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Here is my first Pastel Strokes. I only recently found WC and have been loving the information and great work that I've seen here.

This was completed using a mixture of NuPastels, Rembrandts and Sennelier on Canson mi-teintes 9x12 paper (a dark grey).

http://bp3.blogger.com/_h9GHwAgzwTs/Rr47jMFfeLI/AAAAAAAAAKQ/l4hsllTxpzk/s1600-h/DSC_3134_800x6002.jpg

Embedded image above isn't working, so posting a link instead.
http://bp3.blogger.com/_h9GHwAgzwTs/Rr47jMFfeLI/AAAAAAAAAKQ/l4hsllTxpzk/s1600-h/DSC_3134_800x6002.jpg

LJW
08-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Marina, I like the variety of colours you have used in the flower petals and, particularly, the leaves. The blue green background works very well. Jane

Pat Isaac
08-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Nice vibrant color, Marina and welcome to WC.

Pat

Cindy234
08-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Hi y'all! Family emergency brought me to Atlanta, haven't been able to respond. My dad is in Emory w abdominal problems. Thanks for all the nice comments from everyone!

LJW- I like that woodcut look!
Gill- Nice choice of colors.
EP- You and I are on the same wavelength, dont you think?
Lueur- Nice bright pink color, I tried for that, couldn't get it.
Marina- Beautiful pic, i like your colors!

Shirl Parker
08-13-2007, 04:38 PM
I think this needs some tweaking, but will wait for it to set.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2007/113427-CCF08132007_00000.jpg

Shirl

LJW
08-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Shirl, the bright pink looks good against the dark blue background. Jane

ElizaLeahy
08-13-2007, 07:15 PM
It looked deceptively easy, but it wasn't!

New to pastels, this is my 7th one. That's a lucky number, isn't it?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2007/4490-clementis.jpg

Pat Isaac
08-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Looking good, Shirl. The flower really pops. Welcome, Eliza. Lovely colors and shading on that flower.

Pat

ElizaLeahy
08-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Thank you, I enjoyed doing it. I'm in a very "pink" mood lately!

LJW
08-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Eliza, very nice rendition - very vivid colours. Jane

Cindy234
08-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Shirl- I like what you did with the background leaves and vines

Eliza- nice depth in your picture, pretty colors.

eyepaint
08-14-2007, 10:51 AM
LJW, Debbie, Pat, Carol, and Cindy - thank you, and thank you for the 'welcome' :)
Cindy - our work is similar :) I like all the colours in your petals. I am a newbie with OPs
Will - I like the contrast of two bgs
Debbie - I like the rich blue bg so your petals and leaves pop
lueur - you really nailed the colours of the petals
LJW - I love the woodcut effect! You've given me some ideas... hmmm... :)
Gill - nice greens in your leaves
Shirl - great pinky colour in your petals. Your second version has a great variety of greens in the leaves
Eliza - was this in soft pastels? I like the purply shadows in your petals

Cheers,

Pabs
08-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Hey nice attempt Will, and Scall0way, that's just wonderful.
Regards,
Pabs

Pabs
08-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Welcome lueur, that's a nice WIP you have started there. Don't worry about "first mistakes", we all do them, and if everyone's honest, we still make them!!!! Nice grounding for a good work - keep at it. Nice follow-up too. I think you're on to a winner here.

Nice one LCW - I like the term "woodcut", as it seems to suit this work perfectly, and I like woodcuts, especially the C17 English Civil War types. This is very good.

Ah, Eyepaint - a very warm welcome to the Pastel Forum. Here you will find lots of useful help and hints, tips and comments on helping you and your work. I am intrigued as to your work with such a limited pallet, and I hope it goes well for you.

Oh, the second posting - it's coming along very well indeed, it's really looking very nice, well done, and keep at it.
(Bye the way, we do not entertain sill faces here - we are all serious students of the humble pastel.)

Jokingly,
Regards,
Pabs

ElizaLeahy
08-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Soft pastels. I don't have oil pastels.... yet!!! :)

bruce johnson
08-15-2007, 02:29 AM
Brilliant work folks.. It always intrigues me how artists depict subjects in different ways.. great to watch...

ElizaLeahy
08-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Can we do a landscape, or even a person sometime? I'd love to try skin tones, and landscapes always bug me!

ANGHWAR
08-15-2007, 07:33 PM
Eliza

Why don't you join the landscape project it is for all media. I have been a little out of sorts this month and have done nothing so far. :crying: I will try to post something before the end of the month. Here is the link you will also find the older links there, maybe something catch your fancy.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435749

Great renditions here all of you. Eliza I do like your contrast and shadows.:thumbsup:

Anghwar

eagle owl
08-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Welcome to WC, Marina. Nice work.

Shirl, the dark bg is great. Really brings out the flower.

Eliza, the shading on the petals is really well done and gives the flower real form.

Carol

marie_d
08-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Nice work everyone!!!!

Sorry I have not got the time to comment individually, not posted in this forum for a good few weeks due to having grandchildren over in the school holidays. Still got another two weeks to go before I can settle down once again and get stuck in.

Having withdrawal symptoms so rushed this one through before the kids are back again tomorrow.

Would of liked to have done it in soft pastels as well, may get the chance next week-end. This one is in FC op's, never used op's before, dont know if I really like them yet this being my first try with them. Size 8.5"x7.5" on blue Daler Rowney Ingres paper.

Pat & Paula, will be back soon.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Aug-2007/102905-clematis_2.jpg

LJW
08-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Marie, very nicely done first OP. Deep rich colours - I like this a lot. I hope you'll try OPs some more. Jane

marie_d
08-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Carol - Nice photo. I like clematis as well, I think my favourite is Nelly Moser. Have a bit of time to do some comments now.

Will - Lovely composition, and nicely drawn flower and leaves.

DebbieC - Love the bright colours.

Jane - Very unusual piece, nice effect. Thank you for your comments, I will carry on with the op's though being a 'smoothie' I find them a bit difficult to blend the way I do with softies. I have been using pastels for about five months now and really enjoy them.

Gill - See you are still going strong with your pastels. Nice flower, like the detail on your leaves.

Shirl - Very good, like the flower shape, nice colours.

EP - Caught the pastels bug as well:) You are doing very well with just 8 colours, just as colourful as your wc pencil drawings. I struggle as well with a limited colour set. You have certainly achieved a nice effect on the black bg.

Cindy - Another nice effect on the black bg. Good shaping on your flower.

Marina - Nice background colour, and bright flower.

Eliza - Lovely piece, like the shading on the petals and the contrasts on the leaves.

LJW
08-18-2007, 04:14 PM
Marie, just a note withe regard to blending OPs. The softer, better quality OPs, such as Sennelier and Holbein Artist, blend much better than the waxy student-quality OPs you are using. Have a look at the new Getting Started in OPs thread to find out more about blending tools as well. Jane

marie_d
08-18-2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks Jane, will do.

cbransto
08-19-2007, 05:36 PM
This is a fun idea. Thanks for the motivation.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2007/109924-clamatis.jpg

LJW
08-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Hi cbransto, and welcome to Wet Canvas. I like your change of colour to a deep rich blue. Nice shading of the petals. Jane

eyepaint
08-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Pabs - hello! :)
Marie - hi again! We've missed you on the scavenger hunts. Thank you :) I can point to Julie(wabbit) and LaceySprocket on the hunts for getting me back into pastels.
cbransto - hello! I like the purply blues in your petals.

I've done a second version of this ref, this time in Rembrandt soft pastels, 5 colours.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2007/96240-IMGP0904.JPG

Cheers,

marie_d
08-20-2007, 03:15 AM
Jane - Checked out the Getting Started thread, what a lot of info in there. Thank you.

cbransto - Love the change of colour.

EP - Once I have got through the babysitting of grandchildren in the school holidays I hope to be back to pastels and the scav hunts as soon as I can. Just havn't had time for anything these last couple of months
I have also picked up some good tips from Lacey in the scav hunts re op's. Your style is very much like hers, bold, bright colours, lovely!

Tracer
08-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Hi everyone, I am a new member who has recently delved into pastels. I have been hanging around the pastel forum for a few weeks and thought I would try joining in on the fun. I hope I am doing this right, so bear with me. I am attaching my 9 x 12 WIP on Wallis (1st time) paper with nu pastels soft and hard. I wasn't sure if I'm supposed to be doing something different to the picture or not, I just figured I would do something that looked like the original photo. Thanks for your patience. Any comments welcome.

Tracer

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2007/114641-DSC00735.JPG

LJW
08-20-2007, 03:48 PM
EP, I like your second version too - nice bright colours.

Tracer, welcome to Wet Canvas. You've done a lovely painting of the scene. You can paint as realistically or as abstractly as you wish. The fun with the monthly challenge is to see the many different ways there are to render the same scene.

Jane

thewingedshadow
08-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Ah, damn...

I bought me a set of Carb-Othello pastel pencils (the 24 one) and dusted off my set of pastel sticks. I don't know what they are, they are in a pretty wooden box and there are lots of colours, too lazy to count them now. My mother bought them in Sankt-Petersburg years ago, but I never really tried them out.

I discovered that my set of pencils was lacking a darker green, so shading leaves was the hell.

And, I added a little dragon in it, I hope you don't mind, I just feel guilty drawing something without a dragon in it :D I did him with coloured pencils because he was too damn small to do it in pastel.

It's 6,7x9,4 inches.

LJW
08-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Deira, great interpretation. I love the deep background and the way you veined the flowers. Great home for a tiny dragon. Jane

eyepaint
08-22-2007, 03:50 PM
Marie, LJW, - thank you

Tracer - welcome - I'm a newbie to pastels too. You have a great softness to your petals
Deira/wingedshadow - welcome - I like your interpretation (including your addition of the dragon)

Tracer
08-22-2007, 07:51 PM
My painting's finished - it was a lot of fun to join in. I can't wait for the next one. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about pastels and I know I need to practice, practice, practice. The beauty of it is...I really want to learn more about this medium and I am enjoying it more and more each day.

LJW & EP - Thanks for the warm welcome.

EP - I like the vibrancy of your flower, it makes me want to step outside of my safety zone and experiment.

Deira - I think your interpretation with the dragon is great! My favorite books to read are fantasy, so I am a bit partial to dragons.

Tracer

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Aug-2007/114641-DSC00737.JPG

LJW
08-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Lovely soft feel to this, Tracer, against the harder texture of the wood. Nicely done. Jane

kazuki
08-23-2007, 01:15 AM
Hi all... :wave:
I am new to Wet canvas.. I signed up a month back, asked a couple of questions and disappeared. I bought a 49 color standard pack of Pentel oil pastels this week. This is my first OP.
I know it's not anything compared to others' posted here. But I'd improve. Please do comment on this.... :confused:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2007/109571-home_128.jpg

P.S. I seem to have a serious trouble "filling". I used the pastels and cotton buds.. But the background doesn't seem to be working with cotton buds. I also used my fingers in some places....

Sue

LJW
08-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Hi Sue, nice to see your first OP painting. The colour of your flower is terrific and it's petals are nicely modeled. I like your blue background. You might beef up the green in your leaves if you have an appropriate green in the set. They're looking a little pale at the moment. The Pentels you are using are a student grade and therefore waxier and harder to blend than professional grade oil pastels. I notice that, in response to a previous post of yours, Pat mentioned which OPs are considered to be professional. There is now a thread on Getting Started in Oil Pastels in the Oil Pastel forum which may be helpful to you as well. What paper are you using? The more textured the paper, the more "holes" you will have to fill. To combat this, add another layer of OPs and use your finger to blend, as the heat of your skin will help to melt the OP a bit. You can also use a colour shaper or a tortillion for blending. Hope this helps. Jane

Pat Isaac
08-23-2007, 03:43 PM
Like the dragon, Diera and I especially like the texture of your leaves.
Lovely painting, Tracer. Nice soft summery feel.
This is a great first OP, Sue. Nice color and Jane has given you some good pointers.

Pat

kazuki
08-24-2007, 12:37 AM
Hi Jane,
Thanks for the feedback. I bought pentels because I didn't have much of a choice. The store only had Pentels, regular and large and someother brands I haven't heard of. I thought this was the best I could do. But I guess I shall retain this set as AnnieA suggested in getting started forum and buy artist quality slowly as and when I feel confident.
I am using acrylic paper and it does have texture as much as oil canvas paper... Should I consider buying other papers suggested in getting started?
Pat, Thanks for the feedback.. I'll do it with the suggestions... :-)
Thanks,
Sue

ANGHWAR
08-24-2007, 02:47 AM
Hi painterly folks

Well it has taken me forever to get going this month, but I have finised 2 for the landscape project and at last my clematis is seeing light, at this point I call it a WIP as I still have to put in some shadows, I would love some feedback thank you.
Anghwar

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Aug-2007/109760-clematis.jpg

As usual the color is off, my flower is more a wine color or perhaps I am just whiney :lol: .

LJW
08-24-2007, 10:01 AM
Sue, I'd try Artspectrum colourfix paper in a light colour first. I like it a lot and with the lighter colours it's not too hard to fill in the holes. I like Blue Haze in particular, but I also use Terracotta in landscapes for it's warm tones. You don't indicate where you are located, but you can buy individual Sennelier and Holbein Artist OPs from D. Blick or Jerry's Artarama in the US. I can get Holbein Artist OPs locally and I order my Senns on-line from Loomis in Montreal. There really is a difference in ease of use with the softer OPs, and for maximun contrast with the Pentels, I would buy the Senns or the Holbein Artist. (Holbein makes a student grade so be sure to get the "Artist" version).

Anghwar, nice crop and lovely vivid colours. Good job. Jane

kazuki
08-24-2007, 11:09 AM
Hi Jane. I do not live in U.S. I live in Singapore and the problem is I'm new to this city and really have no idea where to look for things. But I recently tracked down a nice store where I bought Pentels. In oil paints, they have sennelier brand but in pastels this is the best I got... This is a nice store still I'll try to figure out another store... Or may be I should buy online....
Sue

Pat Isaac
08-24-2007, 04:27 PM
I really like the crop on this painting anghwar. Nice vivid color, perhaps some more variation in value on the petals.

Pat

ANGHWAR
08-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Thank you Jane and Pat, the color really isn't so vivid - when I have finished with the shading I hope the color will photograph better. The green is paler and softer on the painting, don't know where this bright green comes from, maybe a setting in my resize program.

eagle owl
08-25-2007, 09:27 AM
Marie, the blue bg is very effective. Well done especially for a first op.

cbransto, good shading on the flower. I like the unusual dark blue.

eyepaint, very striking. Where do you find the time? :eek:

Tracer, lovely soft colours. I like it a lot.

Deira, your interpretation is wonderful. You did a great job on the leaves even without the dark greenand the dragon is so cute. I really love this.

Tracer, the finished version has so much depth. It's a really well-done painting.

Sue, Jane has given you good advice. Better quality pastels will be easier to blend. Well done.

Anghwar, great crop. I love the colour of the flower.

I started mine a couple of weeks ago but kind of lost enthusiasm. I'll have to get it out again - no time like the present :lol:

Carol

eyepaint
08-25-2007, 12:12 PM
tracer - thank you
Sue - keep going with OPs. I noticed a huge difference with OPs when I recently bought a handful (8 colours) of Sennelier sticks. 'course I still have some student OPs around here that I should use up or donate to someone else...
Anghwar - wow those colours pop!
Carol - thanks :)

ANGHWAR
08-25-2007, 04:40 PM
Carol and Ep you are both much too kind, thank you.

Anghwar

ANGHWAR
08-26-2007, 12:39 AM
Hi folks

Here is the final, the color is more true this time but still slightly off, the dark background is dark green looks but looks near black here and the green leaves are slightly lighter in real life.

Anghwar

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2007/109760-clematis1.jpg

eyepaint
08-26-2007, 01:22 AM
Anghwar - this is superb. Love all the darks (and lights) you put on the petals. I also like your crop. I should have thought of that (smacks head) - but, being new here to the Pastels Strokes project I thought I'd do things one step at a time :)

Cheers,

ANGHWAR
08-26-2007, 01:38 AM
Oh Ep that will give such a horrid headache :lol: however I did much the same yesterday as I realized the crop mirrors the butterfly I did last month. Next time I may try something different. It must be old age and bad eyesight that makes me close in like that.:D

Thank you for your positive comments, you inspire me to do another. :heart:

Anghwar

Pat Isaac
08-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Great finish, anghwar. It has a really nice graphic quality.

Pat

LJW
08-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Great job, Anghwar and I still like the crop. Great depth in your background. Jane

ANGHWAR
08-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Pat thank you very much.

Jane I too like close crops, from a very early age I was the one who would look to the little details while others in my family would take in the whole scene, which of course meant I was always lagging behind and had to be nagged to "come on let's go" :D. I think as we are molded so we stay or hang on to some of it till we are no more. Thank you for you rkind words.

Anghwar

ANGHWAR
08-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Ok guys and gals, this is in honor of Ep, who reminded me where I really wanted to go with this painting :heart: and as I promised I did another one.

Anghwarhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2007/109760-clematis2.jpg

ANGHWAR
08-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Did a do-over enhanced the darks a bit, I am afraid to go too far as the soft color is so appealing.

Can not upload - try again

ANGHWAR
08-27-2007, 09:40 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2007/109760-clematis3.jpg

eyepaint
08-27-2007, 10:40 PM
Anghwar - this is lovely! :) (Whatever did I do or say to "remind you where you really wanted to go with this painting"?)

ANGHWAR
08-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Thank you so much Ep, :heart: it was that head smacking that reminded me, felt a little out of sorts earlier this month then I was half way into the other crop and remembered the real close up, result head smacking of my own. :lol: Since there are still a few days left I thought, why not, let the head smacking pay off. :D

Happy Painting
Anghwar

LJW
08-28-2007, 11:16 AM
Anghwar the second version is better with more shading. I think you could add a few brighter pink areas to bring it out more. No more head smacking, guys - I'm getting a headache! Jane

ANGHWAR
08-28-2007, 10:54 PM
This is the final, I think I messed up.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2007/109760-clematis4.jpg

LJW
08-29-2007, 10:08 AM
Anghwar, I really like this version. It has more depth and presence now. Jane

Pat Isaac
08-29-2007, 12:22 PM
I agree, very nice. Not messed up at all.

Pat

ANGHWAR
08-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Thank you Jane and Pat, I knew I had to go to the darks eventually to make it work, the heavy lines are a bit of an irritation to me, but I can live with it.

Anghwar

eagle owl
08-31-2007, 11:12 AM
That's really nice Anghwar.

I still haven't finished mine - not a good example to set :eek:

Carol

ANGHWAR
08-31-2007, 11:59 AM
Hi Carol

Thank you for the positive remarks, and thank you for hosting this month, it was a challenging photo yet it looks so simple. :heart:

I will be by later to see your final piece, (just turning the thumb tacks a little). :lol:

Anghwar

eagle owl
09-01-2007, 09:40 AM
I enjoyed hosting the challenge. Thanks to everyone who participated and those who commented on the paintings.

Mine is still not finished but I will post it later.

Carol

BetsyPriesing
09-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Hi I haven't posted in a while.....i finished last night but was too tired to get it into the computer...:rolleyes:. Great fun a new technique for me again....need to find one i like.....the picture is not as detailed as the real one....when i changed it to web size it sorta lost some of its....pasteliness too.

16x11 strange size....
its on cold pressed watercolor paper, with a wash of cad.red watercolor, that's a first time with underpainting and i have only used canson previously.

probably should crop the left side closer that leaf sort sticks out now that i look at it.

Betsy

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2007/103534-webflower.jpg

ANGHWAR
09-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Betsy welcome to WC and pastels.

I love what you did here, it seems sunny and warm love your color choice.

Anghwar

LJW
09-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Betsy, what a beautiful painting. Your flower is stunning and I love the sense of sunlight you created. Jane

BetsyPriesing
09-02-2007, 09:33 AM
thank you for your comments, i should really practice more....it does appear a little more pinkish as my editing program is not so good, it came with my camera :) i just messed around with the buds so they look like they are on the stems...much better.

Betsy