PDA

View Full Version : New Mexico Yuccas

Jo Castillo
08-01-2007, 01:40 AM
This is cross posted in the plein air forum, but I just had to get something posted here. This is plein air, acrylic, on canvas board, 9 x 12 inches. The acrylics dry soooo fast here in the high desert that I had to really hurry. This was about 1 1/2 hours painting time. The country is so desolate, but beautiful as well. Yuccas are a favorite of mine. They are tough and hearty, but the blossoms are delicate and fragile. They dry to a hard shell though if they don't fall off. C & C are welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2007/57688-RanchYucca.JPEG

Jo

sassybird
08-01-2007, 01:14 PM
This is gorgeous, Jo. I love the colors you used and the eye is drawn into the painting. Good job!

Paulafv
08-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Lovely painting, and your detail of the yucca really makes it stand out from the background. Well done.

Mikki Petersen
08-01-2007, 01:23 PM
This is a great depiction of the high desert country. I love the yucca surrounded by those lovely colors.

Mikki

Diane Cutter
08-01-2007, 01:56 PM
This is gorgeous, Jo. You've really given a great sense of distance here. I envy your ability to work magic like that with acrylics... it's the one medium that I just can't master...

Diane

Jo Castillo
08-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Charissa, thanks so much. I do love the colors in the high desert. You don't see them at first.
Jo

Jo Castillo
08-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Paula, thanks. I do better on the things I like.

Mikki, thanks. New Mexico is very special, we are surrounded by color.

Diane, Thanks for the comment. Acrylics are a challenge, especially in the dry air here. Makes you work fast. I am trying to get used to acrylics as I am allergic to something in oil paints, I get a headache. They aren't nearly as creamy and fun. :) I bought some of the new thicker acrylics but have yet to try them.

barkingdogg
08-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Hi Jo. Nice job on this one! Great SW colors!

bayoudragon
08-01-2007, 08:43 PM
oooh, what a beautiful play of colors! Amazing skill for working so fast! :)

Jo Castillo
08-02-2007, 12:57 AM
Susan, thank you. It is always interesting to me that such a bleak area can be colorful, you just have to look.

bayoudragon, Your nice comment is appreciated. Acrylics are a real challenge for me, but easier when you paint what you know and like. Seeing your name and location makes me hungry for etoufee (sp?). We have been to Baton Rouge just to eat a couple of times. :)

Ranger Dan
08-02-2007, 03:34 AM
Looks like I remember NM to be! Very nice.

Jo Castillo
08-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Ranger Dan, you are not that far away! You are in Southwest territory, too. We lived in Phoenix, well Peoria, for 2 years. I loved it.

Jo

Old Tex
08-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Nice job, Jo. I like the distance and the foreground work.

birdhs
08-09-2007, 11:01 PM
My first impression was that this was an early evening setting, after the sun had just gone down. It is truly a great piece of ART! It pleaseth thine eyes.

Jo Castillo
08-09-2007, 11:54 PM
Old Tex, Hi and thanks for the comments. We used to go to Neosho, Mo, monthly and stopped in McKinney a few times to eat or for gas. Looks nice.

birdhs, Thank you. I do love this high desert. The photo is a little darker than the painting in real life, you wouldn't have thought evening. I forget that things seem darker on line than on my iBook. Thanks for looking and commenting.

Jo

debsn2paintn
08-11-2007, 07:08 PM
I have always wanted to try plein air but I only paint in acrylic and have been afraid of the quick drying time. But it looks like you pulled it off very well. Looks really good. When traveling through So. Cal to Las Vegas, we go through Yucca Valley often, and there are fields of them...very pretty.

SunsetSue
08-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Another lovely one Jo, well done!

Jo Castillo
08-27-2007, 01:30 AM
I have always wanted to try plein air but I only paint in acrylic and have been afraid of the quick drying time. But it looks like you pulled it off very well. Looks really good. When traveling through So. Cal to Las Vegas, we go through Yucca Valley often, and there are fields of them...very pretty.

Thanks, Deb. It is only paper, canvas, board, whatever. You can always paint over or toss it. It is practice what ever happens. :) Go for it. Check out this thread, "Plein Air Acrylic????" (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439179).

See you here or in Plein air or pastels.

Later,
Jo

Jo Castillo
08-27-2007, 01:32 AM
Another lovely one Jo, well done!

Thanks, Sue. Maybe we need a BC forum, too. You live in beautiful country. We have visited a great part of BC. Mostly around Nelson, but other parts, too.

Later,
Jo