PDA

View Full Version : Browning Quote and short poem...

Autumnwillow
07-30-2007, 10:44 PM
Hello all! :wave:

I spend most of my time over in Decorative Arts, but I do Calligraphy as well and post here now and again. It's great to see so much calligraphy work being done!! Nice to know it isn't really a "dying" art, with so many people interested in it and learning how to do it.

These are my latest, it was fun to do something other than addressing wedding invitations, which is NOT post-worthy, for a change ;). A little scary too, since the Browning one is 16x20 (huge for me!). I designed it all, and let me say that ribbon can be so much fun to design :eek: (that was sarcasm, :lol: ) Actually, to be fair, it really is. The "fun" part is shading it, seems to take forever.

OK, this one was first, 5x7 on parchment paper using waterproof black ink in a cartridge pen, edges torn with a bread knife (the edge is perfect for this!), aged with brown ink (hard to see on the scan):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2007/64104-Laughlin_scan_rs.JPG

The client, per my suggestion, had this float-mounted in a shadowbox frame. I didn't get to see it framed, but I heard it was really pretty.

Same client, bigger project that I completed Sun, 16x20, parchment paper, dip pen with dark brown ink, ribbons and hearts were done with watercolor pencils. Frame belonged to client:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2007/64104-Riley_Browning_quote_7_07_ov_rs.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2007/64104-Riley_Browning_quote_7_07_close_rs.JPG

I don't use dip pens very often, but this was so large it was necessary, and I must say, I really liked them. Learn something new every day! :D

Autumnwillow
07-30-2007, 10:52 PM
Oh, and without being too long-winded, I must fill you in on the story behind these projects. In a nutshell, the client is about to be married to a gentleman she went to high school with I believe she told me back in the 60's. Well, he had wanted to ask her out back then, but she wasn't allowed to date seniors, as she was a freshman.

Years went by, he moved away and they both married others. Many years later, she divorced (no elaboration other than it was not a happy marriage), and he became a widower. By chance, he came back to this area and a mutual acquaintance told him she was divorced. Well, he called her up, and asked her out on a date! Their first, even though they had been attracted to each other many many years ago...

They are now about to be married on Saturday, and the first scroll is her gift to him, the second will be displayed at the ceremony on Saturday.

Now if that don't tickle every romantic bone in your body, you just might want to go check your pulse! :heart:

Michele

Becktoria
07-30-2007, 11:18 PM
Oh Michele!
I love the romance behind this........it is so sweet. (mushy me!)
Your work is incredible...you are so patient!
I don't understand how the gold pencils look so great with the gold. Are they gold? What brand are they???

HRSG
07-30-2007, 11:29 PM
Great work Michele! The Browning poem I'm quite familiar with, and you did it justice. :)

Autumnwillow
07-30-2007, 11:50 PM
Thank you so much Becky and Helen, and so nice of you to come over to look! :D

Becky, they're Derwent watercolor pencils... I really like them, blend beautifully and you can keep going over them or erase them even. Not alll the way, but you can get rid of small mistakes. (not that I had any :rolleyes: :lol: ) The only gold is around the outer "highlight" edges of the hearts for a little shimmer. I used a really nice gold ink by Windsor & Newton.

I used the same "technique" for gold here that I did on the Egypt mural, just shading and using colors that make it end up looking like gold. Amazing how learning something in one media can help in others!

dreamz
07-31-2007, 01:31 AM
You really are multitalented those ribbons are fabulous

bowerbird
07-31-2007, 06:12 AM
What wonderfull work ! You are very clever Michele- but we already knew that !! And what a beautiful sentiment - i really love the first one !!How perfect for the occasion !

Wendi
07-31-2007, 08:35 AM
Man Michele, all I can say is YOU ROCK! This is so beautiful and the story behind it is very touching. You have taken your talent to a new level and what a blessing to the happy couple.

panny_mouse
07-31-2007, 10:45 AM
aaahhh what a sweet romantice story.
Those are both so wonderful (of course)!! Those ribbons do look great. I love the whole design. I agree with Wendi......YOU ROCK!

hmm Derwent WCP, I haven't tried those yet. I love working with CP but I don't have many WCP. Yeah I learn soo much here.

Penmoel
07-31-2007, 01:00 PM
Excellent !!, I like it very much, I'm surprised you don't use your dip pens very often they are superior in every way, all the best.
Emlyn

Autumnwillow
07-31-2007, 11:59 PM
Thanks all! :o Nice to see so many of you from DA over here!

Emlyn, I really enjoyed using the dip pens, and the only defense I have for myself is that I just always thought they were hard to use. I love the way they leave off, and the thins are so precisely thin. If you could help me out, isn't there a good way to smooth the nibs so they don't catch on the paper? Seems I read something about it somewhere but I can't remember where...? I read here about burning off the lacquer that the manufacturer puts on them to keep them pretty, and I must say, it was a major leap of faith to do it, they aren't pretty anymore but they sure do work better now! Also, any recommendations for the best way to clean them? I use a lot of waterproof inks, and currently just use dishsoap and warm water... I'm sure there's something better...?

Thanks again all for the compliments!

Michele

The Dabbler
08-02-2007, 03:48 AM
I use a lot of waterproof inks, and currently just use dishsoap and warm water... I'm sure there's something better...?
Michele
Windex works for Acrylic