PDA

View Full Version : Maine Lake Shoreline

CindyW
07-30-2007, 07:41 PM
Hi all,
This is on LaCarte, 14x18, with assorted Unisons, Senneliers, Rembrandts, NuPastels. It was a beautiful location for the summer wedding we attended.
CC is welcome.
Cindy

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2007/51674-CindyWentzellGrants4214.jpg

Bringer
07-30-2007, 07:51 PM
Hi Cindy,

This is a very good work. Those rocks and the log are really well depicted.
Maybe you should unwork (read blurr) the limits of that mount at far ?
Or maybe it's just the photo.
Anyway, your work gave fruits, like we say here.

Kind regards,

Josť

CindyW
07-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Hi Josť,
Thanks!
Yah, that blurriness I wasn't sure about. I'll look into that.
Cindy

Bringer
07-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Hi again,

I hope I've transmited my message well, but just in case : I meant that I find the mount/hill a bit too defined.

Kind regards,

Josť

Doodlebug1967
07-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Cindy, this is fantastic! I agree with Jose about the blur on the mountain, but it's a minor thing. The composition and styling of this is very good. Many claps for a job well done.

Ronda

Donna T
07-30-2007, 09:24 PM
This is gorgeous, Cindy!!! Those rocks "rock"! The mountain thing doesn't bug me, and your water is awesome. Very impressive!

Donna T

CindyW
07-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks Ronda, and Donna!
Josť, I misunderstood you, yes. I had thought it was blurry enough but will see how it looks less defined.
Cindy

chewie
07-30-2007, 09:38 PM
love the water, i swear i heard it splashing in when i opened this!

my eyes think the distant hill/mt. is fine and already is pushed back with the lower values. the nit i see is the log is almost ruler-straight, and right along the water edge, somehow that throws me off.

but i absolutely *love* how the tree and leaves frame the whole scene, and such vibrant greens without overpowering. mmmmm!

CindyW
07-30-2007, 09:41 PM
love the water, i swear i heard it splashing in when i opened this!

my eyes think the distant hill/mt. is fine and already is pushed back with the lower values. the nit i see is the log is almost ruler-straight, and right along the water edge, somehow that throws me off.

but i absolutely *love* how the tree and leaves frame the whole scene, and such vibrant greens without overpowering. mmmmm!

Thanks, Chewie!
Yah, I was not sure about that log and the board parallel to the waterline and I moved them both a bit but not a whole lot....but I might add a rock or two to the other side of the log to jut that line out a bit and make a break in it.
Cindy

CindyW
07-30-2007, 10:48 PM
Ok, here's the horizon treeline softened and 2 rocks added into the water to break up the parallel line. Yah?
oops...I see those 2 small rocks on the shore to the left of the log are too lined up. I'll change their placement.

Thanks!
Cindy

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2007/51674-CindyWentzellGrants4218.jpg

prestonsega
07-31-2007, 12:11 AM
The red in the rocks works well against the lush foilage......I am not a marine artist, but I really like this work!

Mary Brigid
07-31-2007, 06:11 AM
love it Cindy. And the hill in the distance look perfect now. The rocks Log and water are very well done. I love the way the tree leaves frame the scene. you have achieved a very serene atmosphere with this one
Mary Brigid

M Douglas
07-31-2007, 10:00 AM
Well done Cindy, this has a nice sense of depth, great movement in the water and the rocks are beautiful, love the colors. I really like this painting!!

Melodie

dbjs
07-31-2007, 10:02 AM
It's well done! very well done!

Orchidacea
07-31-2007, 10:25 AM
oh, how I miss Maine (and the NH Lakes region)! We're landlocked here in southwestern VT--it's all very rural and beautiful, but we have to hike even to get to the nearest river swimming hole! I'm thinking seriously about moving back to the White Mountains, even though I hate winter!

This is a gorgeous, gorgeous piece. I love the hazy softness--was it morning, or just a humid day? The water, leaves and rocks are all rendered so beautifully. Like chewie, I was troubled by the line of the log. I think another, larger rock just below and to the right of the one you added would help a lot. That log is amazing! Also, some of the smaller brighter rocks seem to sit on top of the foliage (along the left edge of the painting) rather than being behind it. That's a really minor nit though. It's a great piece with lots of sense of place!

CindyW
07-31-2007, 11:39 AM
Thanks for your time and comments, Preston, Mary, Melodie, Dorte, and Kim!!

Kim, I WAS thinking of adding another rock as those two looked too lonely in the water so I think I shall. And those left rocks need to recede a bit and the leaves need to pop out to show they are in the foreground and not on the same plane as the rocks. Ok...a little bit more to do on this one.

Cindy

ujwala
07-31-2007, 12:08 PM
Wow! this looks beautiful. :clap::clap:

*Marina*
07-31-2007, 12:53 PM
Well done Cindy, great to see a painting from you again. Isn't it nice to see paintings from people's surroundings and how it brings back memories to others!

Pabs
08-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Oh I love this one Cindy. I thought the first was OK, but now you have done some extra work on it, the whole thing really takes off. For me, the water you have portrayed is just brilliant, nice touch of colour near the bank, then just fades out to the distance. Wonderful.
Regards,
Pabs

Deborah Secor
08-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Cindy, it's really nice. :thumbsup: Love the calm color scheme and the daring angles combined.

Might I offer a very small suggestion that could ever-so-slightly change things? Perhaps you could curve the line of leaves at the very bottom up and into the picture plane, gently directing the eye around and up a bit more and further softening the effect against the rocks. It might be a leaf or three more--I don't know--but somehow I want just a teensy little more of a push there. Be careful of the 'pschological lines' of the edges of the foliage altogether.

Mmm, this is so refreshing. I can hear the gentle lap of wavelets and smell that scent... thanks!

Deborah

CindyW
08-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks for your comments, Ujwala, Marina, Pabs, and Deborah!
Marina, I do love that artwork gives others that feeling of being there!
Pabs, I was NOT sure about all that lightness in the water and I wasn't sure if I should have given more color but thank you for your vote of it as is!
Deborah, I will take that suggestion and see if I can do just that with the leaves. It was a gorgeous beautiful just right day that day...nice day for a wedding. :)
Cindy

Mikki Petersen
08-01-2007, 02:16 PM
May have been a great place for a wedding but it was also a great place for a painting. This is superb and every change you make only makes it that much better. Wow!

Mikki

t-sue
08-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Yup, yup, yup!!! Lovely comp and nicely done indeed!!!! Like Chewie, I heard the water too... little waves gently lapping on the shore... I just want to sit on that log, with my tosies in the water, contemplating doing a painting again!!! :D Way to go, Cindy!

scall0way
08-25-2007, 05:49 PM
How beautiful. I love the water, something I yearn to capture. Whereabouts in Maine is this? I love Maine too, and am currently spending the night in Freeport, ME on my way home from my vacation in Canada.

Kathryn Wilson
08-25-2007, 10:48 PM
This makes me very homesick for the lake I used to live on in upstate New York - I can hear the water lapping very softely, the wind in the trees. Excellent!

CindyW
08-26-2007, 01:23 AM
Thanks so much for the nice comments, Mikki, Tammy, Debbie, and Kat!
Mikki, wow, thanks so much!
Debbie, this is near the Rangeley area, Mooselookmeguntic Lake, just beautiful.
Tammy, I am happy to inspire you to paint, thank you for sharing that deeply appreciated thought!
Kat, so nice to be able to share a painting that brings back a wonderful memory...you gotta go back to that area one day for a visit then.
I worked on it just a tiny bit more and since this thread was brought back up, thought I'd place it here. I changed a few of the rocks and their coloring and brightened the leaves....all I had time for.
Cindy :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2007/51674-CindyWentzellMooselookmegunticShores.jpg

Paula Ford
08-26-2007, 11:00 AM
This is so beautiful!

bnoonan
08-26-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm late to comment but the improvements are really helpful. Initially I felt i was being tilted out of the painting but now I don't feel that sene.

The rocks are truly impressive and read perfectly! Nice work and I hope the wedding was fun. This is a good momento.

bArb

CindyW
08-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Thank you, Paula and Barb!
Barb, as you say about the tilting, hopefully the lightness of the green helped in the foreground leaves. I am not happy with them but I do like the leaves on the tree at the top of the painting...much more to my liking. And not sure that fixed what Deborah mentioned but thank you for the cc.
It was a very beautiful wedding, perfect with the surroundings as it was low key and gentle.
Cindy