PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble July 30 Thru Aug 5

K Taylor-Green
07-30-2007, 01:23 PM
Hi everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives.

All but 4 of my pups are gone. I am sure they all went to good forever homes and will lead happy, productive lives. But it sure has been busy with people coming to get their new family members.

Yesterday morning we took the time to take Soliel to the lake to swim and retrieve training bumpers. She did us proud!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2007/41107-Soliel_swimmig2.jpg

Mikki Petersen
07-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Ah Kate! What a happy dog! Guess letting go of puppies is a bit like sending the last grandkid home for the Summer.

I'm exhausted. Kamp Gramma ran continuously for half of June and all of July. I'm now basking in the quiet solitude of being alone in the woods with Hubby and dog again. I'm sure in a few weeks I'll be missing them again, but right now I feel so relaxed not having to plan meals or monitor activities and do laundry...Laundry! I've done at least two loads a day for the past six weeks. Thank Heavens we have an over sized septic system!

I'm taking a bit of a break from pastels, too. Since I'm working outside on the porch, I've been working on a landscape in oil paint. So strange to be working with brushes. I miss the convenience of scanning my pastel boxes for the right colors but, at the same time, am finding a lot of satisfaction in being able to create just the right color by mixing paints. Not that I'm giving up pastel...it will always be my first choice medium, but the oils are a lot more convenient to carry around...a few tubes, a few brushes... My pastels are now filling a whole ladder stand in my studio plus a full Roz box and a full Degas box. When I go to class I look like I'm moving in, lol.

Happy painting,
Mikki

K Taylor-Green
07-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Mikki, I know what you mean on all points! I love having the grandkids, but am also happy for them to go home. The whining and the squabbles of the younger ones get to me.
I have been meaning to ask you how Honey has been.
As for pastels. I have boxes laid out on a 4 foot long folding table, plus boxes I haven't opened. I can no longer remember exactly what I do have!

Pat Isaac
07-30-2007, 05:08 PM
What a great dog, Kate. Even she looks proud.
I can totally relate, Mikki. When my family from Maryland comes to visit it is a busy time and we all love having them here, but it is nice to have the quiet. My grnadkids are older now so don't need a lot of babysitting, in fact, they are doing the baby sitting.
I didn't think I had many OPs, but have been packing them up in preparation for the move, and there are many boxes.....

Pat

Deborah Secor
07-30-2007, 07:36 PM
Soleil looks like a really happy girl there, Kate! I had a yellow Lab years ago who was one of my special pups. She'd go swimming with us in the Kern River and retrieve frisbees all day long.

My pastels are sitting gathering dust as I work on articles. (If only they gathered the useful kind, wouldn't that be nice??!) It's really fun to talk to so many artists--I'm interviewing the winners of the landscape category in The Artist's Magazine competition. You are gonna love seeing this work!! I have another assignment soon, too, which will be really fun. I get to interview 15 student artist winners (over a two week period! :eek:). today I'm deep into a feature on a wonderful pastelist for the PJ, too. Doesn't leave much painting time at the moment... so somebody go get your fingers dirty for me! :D

See ya. :wave:

Deborah

chewie
07-30-2007, 07:44 PM
having a hetic week here, weather is better but have other things causing some headaches. 4H being one of them! so much to do, so little time!

great pic kate! she does look like she is having a grand time too!

took my car to get fixed, getting to the point of not bothering anymore, cept i really still neeeed that car!

and this week is a busy ranch week too--tons of hay to bale (not that i do any of it, but must be prepared to feed or drive or any other small tasks at any second) then to add to that, we are ultrasounding our heifers this week too, lots of rounding up, cooking, loading, sorting.....blah blah blah! at least our temps are staying in only double digits.

may look into a new venue for my work--a friend already took 2 that she owns in to the shop and the owner loved my work, now i have to carry on with this. but when to make the 6 hour drive to see this place?? eek!

have a good week, keep yer fingers dusty!

scall0way
07-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Long time no see everyone! Boy, I think I've fallen to pieces in the last couple months! First pneumonia, which I'm finally over at least. But after that I was really ill with nausea all the time, severe pain in my upper right abdomen, just under the ribcage...at its most severe radiating around the entire ribcage and up my back to right under the right shoulder blade! The doctor thinks it sounds most like gallbladder, but I've gone through a whole battery of tests (blood tests, Xrays, CT scans, ultrasound, endoscopy, colonoscopy! All the fun stuff) - but still no conclusive answers, and still feeling rotten!

So, sadly, I missed my last few weeks of the spring art class. Alex, my wonderful teacher, called to see how I was and said I could come to a few summer sessions if I wanted for makeup - but so far I have never felt up to going out on Wednesday nights when the lessons are.

So I'm afraid my art has really fallen by the wayside. :( Even saddest, I'm supposed to go to Canada on vacation with my son and daughter-in-law in August, and look forward to it the entire year. I did lots of great plein air and life pastels there last summer. But right now it's looking like I may not be well enough to go this year. <sniff>.

I miss everyone, but just getting online and checking in on wetcanvas is a struggle. Hope you are all well and painting up a storm!

I finally got shipped the first two paintings I've sold! The one that went to California has arrived and my friend who bought it loves it. The one going to Australia is still in transit - but once it arrives I'll be able to say my work is hanging in private collections in the US, Canada and Australia. :D

Pabs
07-31-2007, 06:12 AM
Great shot of a happy working dog Kate!!!
I used to go beating an several of our local shoots, and used to love watching the dogs work, especially the spaniels, the are totally loopy, but excellent workers.

We too have been overun by the travelling hordes that are grandkids - and we only have two!! We have painted, drawn, coloured, played indoors, outdoors, watched TV, got dressed up, argued, played with a toy train set, dressed up dolls etc, etc, etc. Boy, is it tidy and quiet when they've gone???

After all that I met Chloe again on Sunday as we went to the rugby league we support and watch in Hull, then again last night as I picked her up and took her to a schoolfriend's fifth birthday party. We have nearly the same again this Thursday (kids summer art group) then another party Friday. Ahhh, to be a young socialite!!!!!

Sounds like everyone else is having fun too, especially Chewie, out on the range, though I know we are all terribly busy in our own ways. I never thought how busy I would be when signing up for the Scaveger Hunts. It only works out at 3 sketches a day, but sometimes trying to get them all in is no mean feat, I can tell you. Still, it's something else I enjoy, and it helps me learn, which is what it's all about.

I'll get off and let someone else have a go, but will be back again later.

Have fun and take care everyone.

Regards,
Pabs

Dot Hoffman
07-31-2007, 10:32 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about so many of you having physical problems. I heard from Nana B today and she too is recovering from pneumonia. You are all in my prayers.

Mikki, how do you like the Degas box?

Mikki Petersen
07-31-2007, 02:24 PM
Dot, I like it alot! I already had four of the cardboard boxes a long time from Daniel Smith and was impressed by how secure they held the pastels. Now I have also the four that came with the Degas box, so I can load all of them with different color assortments and interchange ans the subject demands. I also have the Roz box which is perfect for chunkier pastels like Great American and Terry Ludwig but does not hold the thinner brands securely so as I travel with the Roz box I end up with a fine layer of dust and small pieces if I store my Giraults, Senneliers, Schminkes, etc there. The Degas system cradles the pastels much better.

Deborah, it must be inspirational and great fun to interview other artists but boy! That time pressure can eat at you. Good luck with your assignments.

Pat,, I began packing up my studio when we thought we were going to move and I don't envy you at all. After days of packing and sorting, I hardly made a dent. I have at least 150 pastels, a large collection of oils, acrylics and tube watercolors, a wide variety of papers and canvases in a range of sizes and then there is all the craft stuff...and sewing stuff...and I'm glad we stayed put! Good luck with your move!

Chewie , what a busy time for you! All I keep thinking is that I'd like to be there with a camera because there must be hundreds of great photo ops for painting refs. We will be going down to my Hubby's uncles next week to join in the peach harvest. Not quite so hectic but still hard work. Take care of yourself. And congrats on a possible new outlet for your art!

Debbie, illness can be so disheartening especially when it begins to isolate you from the friends and activities you love. I'm most sorry to hear you might not be making your vacation trip. I remember all the good work that came from the last trip. Be good to yourself and heal.

Pabs, two can feel like a horde! I know! Especially the younger they are. Our four year old grandson has a high, squeaky voice that just grates on me. By the end of the day, my ears ring with it. And Heaven forbid he should get upset because then he goes into a shrill whine. At least you made time for friends and grown-up fun.

Well, I was already worn out from Kamp Gramma, and now I have all sorts of stress to compound that...ain't it the way. Here we are in 100'F+ weather and our A/C went out. Then I was moving around some stuff in my studio and found a large wet mushy area in a corner that backs up to the bathtub on the other side...uh oh! Now we will have to tear into that wall to find out what is wrong. I actually have mushrooms growing on my carpet...YUCK! So I'm in denial and just painting. Just complete a landscape in oil paints and posted it on the landscape forum. Got some really encouraging feedback...

Happy painting!
Mikki

Mikki Petersen
08-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Hi everyone! Uhhhh, where did everyone go? I have some news of general interest here...

There is a NEW forum for Southwestern/Western Art...yeeehaw! Here is the link: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=360

There is another one for Florals/Botanicals that I forgot to get a link for but it has no posts yet so flower people unite!

Mikki

CM Neidhofer
08-01-2007, 11:02 PM
Well, I did not get my July Pastel Strokes finished. :( I'm still kind of layed up with this radiating pain from my right back around to the side of my stomach. Seems to be fine when I'm standing, but when I sit or lay down it hurts, to the point I can hardly take a deep breath or yawn. Alleve and Icy Hot seem to help a lot, so I'm assuming I've pulled a muscle, just don't have clue how or when. Started hurting Sunday night and got progressively worse until after two doses of Alleve yesterday. Tried to get out and do something today and it still really bothers me. Anyway, I'll try to finish my painting at some point and post it late. :o Hope everyone else is feeling better. :)

Christine

CM Neidhofer
08-01-2007, 11:10 PM
severe pain in my upper right abdomen, just under the ribcage...at its most severe radiating around the entire ribcage and up my back to right under the right shoulder blade! The doctor thinks it sounds most like gallbladder,

Just read this Debbie. I just posted complaining about just about the same symptoms, minus the nausea. I know I have gall stones and wondering if that isn't what's bothering me. Other than Icy Hot seems to ease the pain, which leads me to believe pulled muscle and not much of anything else. Hope you're feeling better 'cuz I'm not at my best the last couple of days. :(

Christine

Lisa M
08-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Hi all, I've been awol for a couple of months almost. . . . I've missed you all but have been peeking in now and again to find some inspiration to get busy with my art again. I put everything away before our big summer barbecue (my mess just sits on the dining room table converted to my work and art table now), and didn't get it back out for a week or so. . . . I readied the paper and chose a photo, and now they're just gathering dust!

I've been busy not with grandkids but with 40 students in my online writing course which is now done--phew!! It takes over my life as my art is shoved aside for the computer to replace the easel.
We also sold our old quarter horse to a family with a 3-yr-old boy who led old Al to the trailer all by himself--too cute! The babies are growing FAST--Tigger has turned blue roan and Cassidy is turning bay. I love them. We've found time for a couple of camping trips, local and in northern MN to escape the heat a bit. My lawn is dead. We had a sprinkle last night, and one other one about a month ago, but no measurable rain since June 16. Hay and grain prices have doubled. We're going to build another barn for the 4 horses we'll now have--we can't seem to commit to selling any more of them:o .

Debbie and Christine--I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so poorly. I hope your doctors figure it out.

Kate, your dogs are always so fun to see!!

Chewie--You know I'm thinking about you guys with your ranch. I hope you've had more rain than we have by SF--maybe last night? I also wish you well with the preg checks and haying. Where is the new gallery you're looking into? In Rapid City?

Take care all; now I just need to get busy and do some more art. . . .

Lis

Mikki Petersen
08-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Debbie, your pain does sound like Gall Bladder to me. They had a lot of trouble diagnosing mine...back before MRI...because instead of stones the gall bladder had crystallized (like full of sand). Anyway, it was a frustrating and painful couple of months while they figured out I was not a hypochondriac. Hope your diagnosis and cure go more smoothly, but your symptoms sound classic.

Christine, sorry that you too are feeling poorly and hope you recover quickly.

Lisa, sounds like very busy times over your way. Did you get a photo of the little boy leading the horse? I have a photo of my step-daughter at the age of three lecturing an arabian. The horse's head is nearly as big as she is!

As for the painting at the table, I guess you should be thankful to have a table (?) where you can paint...I can remember when our dining table was constantly an eyesore with my sewing and craft projects. I loose momentum when I have to put my stuff away. Seems like such a chore to drag it back out that I make excuses why there's isn't enough time today, etc. Fortunately, I have a room converted to studio space so my stuff is scattered all over and always ready for me to sit and paint or dab on the fly.

Boy, we don't appreciate the joy of A/C until there is none. It's been so hot and humid here and the repairman cannot get out until Monday. Of course they are predicting a cooling trend beginning Sunday, lol.

Mikki

CM Neidhofer
08-02-2007, 11:08 PM
Well, my pain seems to have vanished. I had to go back to work today and wasn't sure I'd make it. Started to hurt a little and I took two aspirin and it hasn't bothered me the rest of the day. Still not sure what I did to make it hurt. Guess it's just a reminder I'm not getting any younger! :rolleyes:

Christine

Mary Brigid
08-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Hi all,
wow every one seems to be so busy with grandkids.... School holidays Huh!
And of course it is the time of year when ye are all busy on Ranches and farms.
And Debora is busy with her articles. I am sure they will be wonderful as always.
Christine I am sorry about your ill health... I do hope you get better soon.
I am off to Bulgaria tomorrow. Will stay in the shade and will stay in long clothes as the sun does not like me a lot at the moment
I have packed a backpack with some pastels and paper. Hope I have packed the right ones for landscapes and seascapes over there. Should be fun.
They have seven unesco sites and i hope to get to visit some of them also.
Will be gone for 2 weeks... Take care all
Mary Brigid

Mikki Petersen
08-05-2007, 06:49 PM
I have such a difficult time imagining the European lifestyle of taking holidays all over Europe. What opportunity you have! Of course, we have similar opportunities to wander over the North American continent, but the idea of having such age and history to visit seems very romantic to me. Have a lovely trip.

Mikki

Pabs
08-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Hi all.
I've already posted in the Weekly Sketch thread about not being on-line for a few days. The old legs are really playing up at the moment, and I can't get comfy in front of the old PC. It's wake up, potter about (doing nothing really), then more tabs, then back to bed for most of the afternoon fast asleep, till Sue comes home, and wakes me when she has tea ready (if I've pre-cooked it or not).
I reckon it's these tabs that are contributing to me nodding off, but I am lucky (?) in that my body shuts down if I'm ill, and I just sleep, sleep, sleep.

So, it's 13.30pm here, and I'm off to bed already, feeling so tired again!!!!!

I will probably post some sketches I did before the weekend in the Scavenger Hunt, then leave it for a while.

I'll miss you all.

Hope everything goes well for you all - kids, grandkids, horses, dogs, cattle etc, etc.

Regards,
Pabs