PDA

View Full Version : oil pastel and acrylic

Honiebee
07-29-2007, 01:26 PM
I bought some water soluble oil pastel, and was wondering if i'd be able to use them over one of my acrylic paintings? and also I think I read somewhere that you preserve oil pastel with beewax, would I be able to put beewax over my acrylic painting?

Thanks

LJW
07-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Hi Honiebee, and welcome to the Oil Pastel forum. I have used my Sennelier and Holbein OPs over an acrylic underpainting. You can do the same with the water soluble ones. But if you want to spread them with a wet brush, I'm guessing that they will bead up. Oil pastels contain beeswax; you don't put beeswax on top of them. They also contain mineral oil and for this reason, they never dry completely. The normal method of storing oil pastel paintings is to place wax paper between them to prevent smudging. For sale purposes, they are normally framed under glass, with a mat to keep them from touching the glass. I hope this helps. Jane

Pat Isaac
07-29-2007, 04:10 PM
I have also used OPs over an acrylic underpainting and it works fine. Do you have portfolio OPs?
Jane has given you some good advice. You can also frame under glass using spacers instead of a mat.

Pat

Honiebee
07-29-2007, 08:32 PM
yes I have the portfolio ones,

Thanks alot Jane and Pat

AnnieA
07-29-2007, 09:13 PM
I don't have any advice to add - it looks as if Jane and Pat have covered your questions - but I wanted to welcome you to the OP Forum, Honiebee. :wave:

AngelaF
07-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Welcome to the forum, Honiebee. I hope you have fun!! with the portfolios -- I have never trided them. Angela