I have been asked for one........... what does one put, include or exclude

any help please

Thank you

Paula Ford
07-28-2007, 03:10 PM
What is it?

wabbitt
07-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Paula, CV stands for curriculum vitae (latin) which what they use in Europe for "resume."

Sorry, DarkShades, I don't have an answer for you. But there are lots on the web. Check out the artists websites, there's a recent thread on this in this forum.

Dark_Shades
07-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Thanks Julie - I will surf around

Dark_Shades
07-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Seems not hard to find :)
found this link

Artist Statements & CV's (http://www.hayvend.com/info/artists/index.shtml)

Deborah Secor
07-28-2007, 06:13 PM
You can check mine out at my web page (http://www.deborahchristensen.com/Resume.html)...basically showing a statment and a list including education, shows, honors, memberships and representation. You can be creative and have fun with it...or you can be quite serious.

Deborah

Dark_Shades
07-29-2007, 04:45 AM
Thank you so much Deborah - I have been wondering over this since yesterday - am concerned, as I dont have that much to put down.......
They didnt say how big the CV has to be, Ill just write it all down on a postage stamp :)

Pabs
07-31-2007, 06:43 AM
This is an interesting subject, but what, if like me, you do not enter shows or have never shown at an exhibition etc??
Regards,
Pabs

Paula Ford
07-31-2007, 09:24 AM
This is an interesting subject, but what, if like me, you do not enter shows or have never shown at an exhibition etc??
Regards,
Pabs

Good question...same here. I've never done shows and am really very reclusive when it comes to my art.

Paula

Dark_Shades
07-31-2007, 09:55 AM
Me too Paula - I really dont care to talk about myself Art related ..... and have been pondering, as like Pabs I do not enter shows either.......
though did have that one Solo Exhibition in Jan of this year......

Have been surfing around trying to read others and have an idea for something for myself

The only thing I came up with which I think would work and cover for anyone, is really your interest and love of what you do ...... some thoughts in no particular order....

* How to did you come to paint
* Art classes
* Workshops
* Style of work
* Mediums worked in
* Subject Matter
* Commissions
* Sales
* Competitions
* Why do you paint
* What are you trying to convey
* Website
* Blog

For you Paula you could also add that you are a guide here, for the biggest online art community in the world :)

So I think given some thought, everyone should be able to come up with a little ART CV about themselves

Paula Ford
07-31-2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks Dawn!

I have also wondered how to become a PSA without having a huge resume.

Paula

Dark_Shades
07-31-2007, 01:27 PM
grrrrrrrrrr my message went awol lol ...........

retyping.... ***

hmmmmmmmm I wonder Paula...... think you have to be invited in ....... and believe Jackie Simmonds couldnt get in, though could be an Associated Member..... of course may of been that she is not an American and not the standard of her work :) goes without saying

Have found a link:
PSA Membership (http://www.pastelsocietyofamerica.org/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=60)

Paula Ford
07-31-2007, 01:53 PM
To be a PSA, you have to send in slides and resume and then you are jurried in. (It's not as easy as that.) I guess you can only apply once a year.

Though there are several types of memberships.

Tom Christopher is now a PSA! Isn't that wonderful!

Paula

Dark_Shades
07-31-2007, 01:59 PM
ohhhhhh IC.......

is he...... didnt know that.....yes that is wonderful .......
.... Congrats Tom :clap: .....

well there ya go, his your man - he would be able to tell you how to go about it .....

On surfing around cant find anything similiar for the UK :( - Soap gave me a link to PA UK (seems a new site as such - though supposedly been going since 1898) - seems closed doors and membership of 50 :confused:

PeggyB
07-31-2007, 02:12 PM
hmmmmmmmm I wonder Paula...... think you have to be invited in ....... and believe Jackie Simmonds couldnt get in, though could be an Associated Member..... of course may of been that she is not an American and not the standard of her work :) goes without saying

Have found a link:
PSA Membership (http://www.pastelsocietyofamerica.org/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=60)

And on that membership list you will find Jackie Simmonds is a full signature member of PSA.... :) Nationality has nothing to do with acceptance into membership as I know many full members who are not Americans.

You will also find on their website the requirements for submitting a membership application to become a PSA member. The competition is steep, as is the membership fee. I know several very accomplished pastel artists who don't bother with applying for membership due to the fee structure and/or the great distances they live from NYC. Shipping artwork to their annual competition is very expensive because of the freight handler fee they have to charge. From the west coast it is not unusual for people to spend upwards and beyond of $200 by the time they've paid for entry fee, shipping fee, and freight handlers' fee.

All that being said, it is still probably the most prestiegious pastel society in the U.S., and if you are looking for gallery representation it is about the only society membership that I know of that has opened otherwise closed doors for pastel artists new to sales.

Peggy

Paula Ford
07-31-2007, 02:21 PM
Peggy, This is probably a stupid question, but what if there is a really talented artist that doesn't do shows and is not represented by galleries, would that person be able to apply for a PSA? (No, I'm not really talking about me because I'm not good enough......yet!)

Thanks,
Paula

David Patterson
07-31-2007, 02:32 PM
Mine is "short and sweet", because I also have limited experiance. Mine is on my website, and I patterned it after another "late blooming artist".:D My artist statement is on a differant page.

David

PeggyB
07-31-2007, 04:18 PM
Peggy, This is probably a stupid question, but what if there is a really talented artist that doesn't do shows and is not represented by galleries, would that person be able to apply for a PSA? (No, I'm not really talking about me because I'm not good enough......yet!)

Thanks,
Paula

Paula this isn't at all a stupid question. To my knowledge (limited at best but based upon converstations with PSA board members both past and prestent) the PSA selection board doesn't even read your cv until after they have seen your work presented on the projection screen without comment from anyone. The selection of members is without knowledge of "who" you are, but rather on the quality of your work. Therefore, the quality of your slides is paramount in importance. They can only judge what is presented to them on the slide, and they can't guess about things that are unseen to them.

Peggy