PDA

View Full Version : Difference with ET and Gouache

Lumpafur
07-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Okay, here is what I have learned so far. I cannot layer with gouache. I can, however, go back to a painting and lift color, if I needed to.

Is egg tempera closer to what I am looking for? I need to quit oils. I will want to layer. ET appears to be close.

Wrong or right?

meglyman
07-26-2007, 06:46 PM
I don't know about ET - hopefully someone else can recommend it for your purposes.

You *can* layer with gouache, but it can be a delicate operation. With oils, your top layer may start blending with the lower layers if they aren't dry yet. Same with gouache - painting onto wet will definitely blend. Painting onto dry will usually work, but you can't scrub too much, or you'll blend or even lift everything off! So, layering will work, but make sure it's completely dry and don't overwork. For this reason, I find it best for touch-ups. I have not found a successful glazing technique yet, but I bet they're out there, somewhere...

Gouache is a very versatile medium, but it's got a steep learning curve compared to oils (solvents and mediums notwithstanding). I'm still struggling up the curve, myself.

Meg

JeffG
07-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Lumpafur:

- You don't need to use turpentine if you wish to continue painting in oil. Dont add anything to the paint, and wash your brushes with OMS, soap and water.

- Have you considered acrylics? I only say this because you had mentioned in another thread doing a very large painting, and ET, Casein, and Gouache are really not suited for that, certainly not for a beginner.

Not that I'm trying to talk anyone out of using ET, Casein, or Gouache, but they have their own unique properties, and you seem to be looking for a particular solution.

ET is all about layering. To use the medium for what it does best, the entire painting should be done with many, many layers of small, almost dry strokes. When lifting occurs in ET, it is always an accident and is very bad (at least in my experience).

Old Tex
07-26-2007, 11:16 PM
I'm on the learning curve, and by no means an expert. But just to give you an idea of one way a subject can be approached with gouache, I posted a WIP a while back. Go to the second page of threads, and go down to a post titled "Rock in stages". It may not be helpful, but at least you can see a small piece done from beginning to end. It all depends on how you want to paint. This is just one way.