PDA

View Full Version : After the Rain

Herb
03-04-2007, 05:31 PM
I thought I would attempt another landscape, and since we see so few here, I thought I'd post early and often. :D You all can cheer and jeer as we go. The reference is my own. It's lacking a good light source. My plan is to place a patch of sunlight over the little waterfall to serve as focal point. It's a humble beginning...but a beginning, nonetheless. It's 9" x 12" on a dark blue Colourfix. I'm going to use only Prismacolor Lightfast pencils.

boobookat
03-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Herb, I really enjoy your work. This is going to be beautiful, and I like the color of the paper.

The first thing that really struck me, though- is panic at the idea of starting in on the corner like that, to that degree of finish, without over-all, complete massed shapes outlined, for placement and standing back and assesing. I'd be worried sick that once I invested that sort of energy, that my outcome, going square by square, would be wonky, in the way a grid drawing will turn out when several different people are given a piece, then its put back together in the end.

Did you do the tulips and other pieces without over-all, blocked in shapes? You're brain works better than mine!!!

Pulling up a chair, and bringing my favorite hot chocolate recipie- its not spring quite yet where I live.

Marci

JAKA66
03-04-2007, 06:42 PM
I'm glad to see a landscape in CP and especially the one you've chosen, it's really quite beautiful. Can't wait to watch this interesting, difficult WIP.

herpworks
03-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Wow Herb this would give me nightmares on trying to attempt so hats off to you!! I love the title and your decision to give the water a sunlit feel. You sure you don't want a big 'ol bullfrog sitting on one of those rocks?? I can just picture him now...:D

Herb
03-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Now, wait a minute, Marci. I don't believe anyone promised a non-wonky outcome! :lol:

I mostly traced the rough outline of previous pieces, except for the tulips. I made a fairly detailed line drawing of the tulips. I've worked on everything the same way, however. I just jump in somewhere. (I probably just don't know any better. :) )

I didn't consider doing a line drawing of this landscape because it has so much detail, I think the drawing part is tedious, and I'm a bit lazy. I didn't want to trace it, again because there was so much detail, and I wanted to enlarge it a bit.

The tulips and millstone, for examples, were really just a half-dozen or so big shapes. All the detail in the landscape overwhelms me. The grid naturally breaks it down into manageable chunks. I don't really look at it one sqaure at a time, but use them as a guide as I expand the drawing.

I will have to constantly think about relative values and the level of detail as I work. In general I will try to have more detail, brightness, and color up close and in the focal point and less of all those in the background. I'm deliberately leaving plenty of tooth so I can adjust everything near the end.

I am interested in how colored pencils work for landscapes versus watercolor or oils (although I've only played a couple of times with watercolor and never oils). It seems that landscapes demand broad strokes; whereas colored pencils, by nature, make tiny little marks. I'm curious to see if I can do a successful landscape without getting bogged down in too much detail.

Uh-oh. I think I'm rambling again.

boobookat
03-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Ramble all you want- I'm intrigued!

Marci

Lady_Morgana
03-05-2007, 02:32 AM
Hi Herb,
wonderful beginning! *pulling up a chair to watch this one*

i really wonder what you made the grid with? If i tried to do that with white prismacolor pencil i would be in trouble getting it off again. So is it chalk? Softpastel? I always refrained from drawing a grid on because i always had a horrid time getting rid of the gridlines. Would love to learn how to do it properly though, as i understand it is a huge timesaver.

Morgana

Rita2479
03-05-2007, 06:33 AM
Herb, I'm sure this will be quite good when it comes out all wonky mishaps aside ;). Everyone's right, you are brave (or completely out of your mind :p ) for attempting such a detailed piece.
We don't see enough landscapes here though, so kudos to you for doing one and letting us come along to see the progress.

Rita

Tazz
03-05-2007, 07:18 AM
I don't know Herb, I think I would have given up just having to draw all of those little squares :eek: , This looks like it going to be Great, I'll be checking back!

Herb
03-05-2007, 08:37 AM
It won't be that bad, guys. Just think of it as (in this case) 240 miniature drawings on the same page. :D Out of my mind? Maybe. Ignorance is bliss? Definitely.

I did the grid with a white Derwent pastel pencil. I use a rounded point and a very, very light touch. It lifts off the Colourfix easily and completely with that sticky stuff (Blu-Tac?). And if I leave a bit, the colored pencil covers it easily. The only hard part is calculating the measurements for the squares. :lol: Then, of course, my quasi-OCD kicks in and I have to label and number everything...

sati
03-05-2007, 08:54 AM
You're off to a great start. I'll be watching this one.

Linda

wet
03-05-2007, 08:55 AM
I was wondering the same thing. This is going to be fun to watch Herb. Wanda

faula
03-05-2007, 09:04 AM
Very nice start! Its nice to see a landscape done in coloured pencil, and I'm looking forward to seeing more completed on this. I'm going to have to try using the white pastel for outlines on dark paper, its a good idea. :)

surob
03-05-2007, 10:16 AM
It won't be that bad, guys. Just think of it as (in this case) 240 miniature drawings on the same page. :D Out of my mind? Maybe. Ignorance is bliss? Definitely.

I did the grid with a white Derwent pastel pencil. I use a rounded point and a very, very light touch. It lifts off the Colourfix easily and completely with that sticky stuff (Blu-Tac?). And if I leave a bit, the colored pencil covers it easily. The only hard part is calculating the measurements for the squares. :lol: Then, of course, my quasi-OCD kicks in and I have to label and number everything...

Herb, I think the grid is great. I would have never though of breaking down something like that. You are off to a great start. I will be watching. It is good to know that there are other OCD types around. Especially in the same state.

Chisaii
03-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Herb, you are getting to be the risk taker for sure!!

Love your photo and this will be another wonderful piece! Does this help with your sunlight patch??:lol: :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2007/62821-forest_waterfall_original_ani_screensaver_2_215.gif

Herb
03-05-2007, 10:45 AM
:lol: I'll just be happy if it kind of looks like water! :lol:

Herb
03-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Well, here is a small update. I haven't had as much time to color as I would like. I've been picking out interesting objects, a leaf here, a leaf there, coloring it, then back filling. I'm using all sorts of different colors to make interesting (I hope) browns and greys. I haven't been trying too hard to push the darks or lights. Also you'll note everything looks pretty dry. My plan is to come back once I've filled in everything and adjust colors, contrast, and finally use some highlights and burnishing to make everything look wet. We'll see. (I've got some work to do on that mossy rock.) Sorry about the poor photgraph. It's past my bedtime.

Mikenoss
03-08-2007, 05:28 AM
Great photo Herb. I'll be calling back to see all those leaves develop. Thanks for sharing the progress. (240 miniature drawings? Shudder!!) :)

brynmr
03-08-2007, 07:14 AM
I don't know Herb, I think I would have given up just having to draw all of those little squares :eek: , This looks like it going to be Great, I'll be checking back!

:lol: That was funny Mitch. I know what you mean.

Herb, nice choice of ref. Complicated though but that's all the more reason to tackle it huh? Looking good so far.

Tazz
03-08-2007, 07:22 AM
Really coming along Herb, you have quite a task ahead of you...Great Job though, really. :thumbsup:

I practiced drawing one of those little squares today...and boy am I tired :lol:

Herb
03-08-2007, 08:51 AM
I practiced drawing one of those little squares today...and boy am I tired :lol:

You have to pace yourself, Mitch. :wink2:

chatfieldstudios
03-08-2007, 09:28 PM
I think this is going to wonderful Herb....thanks for showing us how you approach your work.

Stormgirl
03-08-2007, 10:33 PM
It's a very interesting way of working - fascinating to watch :)

So far it's looking great!

Herb
03-09-2007, 12:59 PM
It's a very interesting way of working - fascinating to watch :)

Is that in the same way as watching the carnival guys walk on hot coals or eat light bulbs? :lol: :lol:

Rita2479
03-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Herb...were you an engineer in a past life?:p
If you got any more exacting with that grid, well...I just don't think that's possible. Please do post an update on this landscape, I can't wrap my head around tackling anything that finicky (but good on 'ya though! :D )

Rita

Herb
03-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Well, actually... :o I had four years of mechanical and architectural drafting in high school. Thought about becoming an architect, but in all my 18-year-old wisdom, decided I lacked sufficient creativity.

I hope to post an update yet this weekend. You guys are excellent motivation. :D

Herb
03-10-2007, 10:32 PM
I haven't made all that much progress, but thought I might as well post an update.

I've been mixing yellows, greens, and reds to get the browns and yellows, blues, and reds to get the greys. I want to get the shapes established and then come back to work the darks and lights, but I keep getting sucked into working and re-working details on what I've already done. Got to stop that or this will spill into 2008. :lol: (Is there a record for longest running thread?)

Plan to work on the mass of leaves before starting the rocks and water, as they are the hardest (for me). Had to lift and re-work a little bit above the large yellow leaf. Got carried away with big leaves before remembering they need to get smaller as they recede.

Still not enough contrast nor any "wetness". Will also need to re-work some colors, I'm sure, once I have more done.

Jump in with suggestions at any time!

Edit: Nope, that is not a turtle on the left. It's a stick with a leaf on it. :lol:

objectivistartist
03-11-2007, 12:19 AM
Love the way is 'growing'........ :thumbsup:

TessDB
03-11-2007, 08:10 AM
No suggestions from me 'cause I think you're doing great!

In fact, if it were mine, I'd be tempted to stop right where you are. :D That low/long crop is really dynamic...

But, you see, this *isn't* mine, and therefore, you aren't allowed to stop there. :evil: You've got to keep going 'cause it's going to be fabulous!

Tess

objectivistartist
03-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Tru that - could lead to another work with just that much, underneath mist, with light shining on it...... maybe call it - "Opening Act"........

surob
03-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Looking good Herb. How many more little drawings to go? My Dad was an engineer. I think even if you don't go through with it and become one, it is still in your DNA.:lol:

Herb
03-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Made some progress today. Two steps forward, one step back. :D

TessDB
03-12-2007, 07:12 AM
Made some progress today. Two steps forward, one step back. :D

Well, the line dance method of drawing seems to be working for you! :lol: and admittedly? that's how I do it, too. :D

Tess

faula
03-12-2007, 08:19 AM
Looking good so far :) Some very nice textures going on

Tazz
03-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Really making progress now Herb...I'm looking for the BACK Bit...but it all looks forward to me...Oh, there it is...no, that was a fly on my screen..

Flame Lily
03-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Herb, you sure know how to pick a challenge! Amazing so far... your work keeps getting better with each piece. I've tried the dark blue colorfix and found it difficult (for me) but you're sailing away like a champ! Looks great!

dotb
03-13-2007, 12:58 AM
I've never tried a grid on anything...is it difficult? In any classes I've had, we trace a picture with tracing paper, then transfer it with a stylus and transfer paper.

surob
03-14-2007, 10:45 AM
I've never tried a grid on anything...is it difficult? In any classes I've had, we trace a picture with tracing paper, then transfer it with a stylus and transfer paper.

I would hate to trace the piece that Herb is working on. :eek:

Herb
03-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Making slow progress. I keep going back to re-work what I've already done. I'm curious what you all think of the color and contrast so far.

I'm almost finished with the leaves that I think require the most detail. As I move left and up, I will attempt to show less and less detail. I'm thinking that transition may be a challenge for me.

I not sure what part of the grid you think might be difficult, Dotb. Drawing it takes 10 or 15 minutes. You just measure and mark each side then use a straightedge and soft pastel pencil and light touch to draw the lines.

I think the grid is a big help with all the detail I'm trying to capture. It helps me focus on one small part at a time. However, I think it would really get in the way if you were drawing something that needed broader strokes.

I really appreciate all the comments and encouragement! Thanks, everyone!

mahla
03-15-2007, 11:05 AM
This is looking incredible, Herb!!

That's a neat idea to render it with less detail as you move left and up - the foreground itself will be the focal point, right? And you'll have an even greater feeling of depth. You sure have patience, and it's paying off. Thanks for doing this as a wip.

HollyA

Mikenoss
03-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Still watching and marvelling at your patience Herb.

Herb
03-15-2007, 08:08 PM
I think you all are the ones who will have to be patient. :lol: I'll try and make more significant progress before posting again.

Stormgirl
03-16-2007, 01:26 AM
Still loving every bit :)

objectivistartist
03-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Yes - is an adventure to watch the unfolding, the 'clearing of the mist'.... :thumbsup:

Herb
03-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Here's some more of the sausage being made. :rolleyes: I'm sure there's a better way to do this, but I haven't learned it yet. :lol:

(By the way... If these frequent posts are becoming annoying, somebody please tell me.)

Stormgirl
03-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Not annoying at all!! I love watching you work :)

mahla
03-18-2007, 07:29 PM
Annoying?? No way!! *Thank you* for taking the time to post 'em!

TessDB
03-19-2007, 07:43 AM
I'm finding it fascinating watching you inch your way a long, block by block... It seems like it would take some *serious* self-restraint to work like that. Of course, I'm a dive in head first and work everywhere at once kinda gal... :D

My only concern at this stage: make sure you're leaving enough tooth on the paper as you go to be able to do *all over* corrections once you've got the piece pretty much done...

I'm enjoying watching this come along!
Tess

Chisaii
03-19-2007, 08:24 AM
I admire your patience, Herb!! Wow! This is really coming together!

Flame Lily
03-19-2007, 09:32 AM
Still watching and in awe of your patience, lovely color saturation with such a dark background. I especially love the yellows and oranges :clap:

Can't always comment (full days of school work with my boys) but I keep checking back to see how it's going.

Herb
03-25-2007, 04:14 PM
Some progress...

plt8769
03-25-2007, 05:05 PM
its already great! keep on this...

Stormgirl
03-25-2007, 05:28 PM
Still watching, and I have to say, becoming more and more in awe of what you're doing! Herb, this is fantastic, I feel like you've found a niche that you're claiming as your own.

Herb
03-25-2007, 05:42 PM
I feel like you've found a niche that you're claiming as your own.

I'm afraid my "niche" just might turn out to have padded walls and a straightjacket. :lol:

Thanks, plt8769! (May I call you "plt" for short? :D )

objectivistartist
03-25-2007, 06:26 PM
then paint the walls a nice wee color....:lol:

herpworks
03-25-2007, 08:05 PM
I think I would also end up in a padded room if I attempted this!! Beautiful so far Herb - love those mossy rocks!!

Mikenoss
03-25-2007, 11:19 PM
I'm afraid my "niche" just might turn out to have padded walls and a straightjacket. :lol:

Make sure you finish & post first. :lol:

(meant in the nicest possible way)

pastagreyhound
03-26-2007, 12:05 AM
You da man, Herb! This looks incredible! I'd pull my hair out trying to capture all those lovely intricacies. Gorgeous work--you should be proud!

Stormgirl
03-26-2007, 03:36 AM
Lucky padded rooms tend to have squares on the walls :D

catchlight
03-26-2007, 04:25 AM
Wow Herb, big time wow...I think I could possibly extend that even to wowzers! What a stunner, I love it! I think this might just be the best landscape I've seen in cp, even judging by just the corner!

objectivistartist
03-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Yeah - ye might say he's [cough] cornering the market....:lol::lol::lol:

TessDB
03-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Yeah - ye might say he's [cough] cornering the market....:lol::lol::lol:

groooaaannnn.... :lol: Is there a bad pun limit per thread?

Herb, this looks amazing. Really excellent.

Take your time, but y'know... hurry up with the next update! No pressure, though. None at all. :D :evil:

Tess

quickcat327
03-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Have rated this an excelent thread, anyone who does not find something to learn from it, must be just plain hard of thinking.A fab piece....Kevin

sati
03-26-2007, 06:39 PM
I've been watching this with fascination! What a beautiful piece this is turning out to be. Thank you for sharing the steps.

Linda

cindyv4
03-26-2007, 07:03 PM
WOW!!!!Been peeking, and have missed quit a few.(kids hog computer):lol:

Love how this is progressing!!! Keep the photo's coming...being a visual learner...I like those.:smug:

will peek back again!
Superb work!!!!( i think I'll go stick my head in the sand for awhile):lol:
I still haven't grasped color as well as you have.

Definetly have talent , you do!!!
cindyv

catchlight
03-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Oh dear oh dear Robert :D

I'm rating this too :D

objectivistartist
03-26-2007, 11:08 PM
Sorry - was too good[bad?] to pass..... :lol::rolleyes:

Herb
03-26-2007, 11:22 PM
Gee! Thanks everyone. I feel honored to have something rated, and to have so many kind words. You all do realize I'm making this up as I go along don't you? :lol: No pressure now!

As for the puns... I think I'll leaf those to Robert.

pastagreyhound
03-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Hey Herb--where's the update, buddy? C'mon! I'm already half way finished with another piece! Get 'er done! HA!

Herb
03-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Uhhhhhh...any second now. Yup! That's the ticket. Any second now. :D

Rita2479
03-27-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm afraid my "niche" just might turn out to have padded walls and a straightjacket.

I don't suppose you'd be putting that "niche" on a timeshare, would you? I might be interested in it for a few months! ;) :D

This is looking fantastic Herb, thanks for sharing your progress with us (rated this thread as well!)

Rita

herpworks
03-27-2007, 10:25 PM
As for the puns... I think I'll leaf those to Robert.

oh boy...:lol: LOL

Can't wait to see more Herb!! ( drawing updates, not puns:p )

Chisaii
03-28-2007, 08:42 AM
They do have an annual 'pun-off' here in Austin, Texas for all you blossoming punsters!!

The closest I can come to the relative subject is --
When the plums dry on your tree, it's time to prune!!

objectivistartist
03-28-2007, 09:39 AM
Ahhh - such a withering comment......:lol:
[it's even giving me a bout of the dry leaves.....]

quickcat327
03-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Herb Post An Up Date Quick And Save Us From These Bad Puns!!!

surob
03-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Really great Herb. Are you leafing it alone for a while? :evil:

Herb
03-28-2007, 06:00 PM
:lol: OK. OK. We'd all better get back to our drawing before someone judges our puns to be too off-color. :lol:

objectivistartist
03-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Save Us From These Bad Puns!!!Ye mean there are GOOD puns?????? :lol::lol::lol:

objectivistartist
03-28-2007, 07:20 PM
before someone judges our puns to be too off-color. Still look black and white to me.....:lol:

Herb
04-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Haven't had much time to draw but have made some progress.

faula
04-09-2007, 07:27 AM
Looking really good :) Can't wait to see the water

TessDB
04-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Looks good, Herb!

Waiting to see the water... I'm not sure yet, but I suspect you're going to want to dial the detail on the upper corner back some... Just to make sure the viewer's eye goes where you want it to.

Tess

Herb
04-09-2007, 08:42 AM
I'm trying to leave plenty of tooth so I can make adjustments...I'm sure I will need to. The water worries me the most...

objectivistartist
04-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Is coming along just nicely........:clap:

Chisaii
04-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Don't be a drip, Herb, the water will be run smoothly!!!!!!!!!

Herb
04-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Don't be a drip, Herb, the water will be run smoothly!!!!!!!!!

You're just a fountain of optimism this morning, Chisaii. :D (You should be feeling pretty good after finishing your Silverback!)

objectivistartist
04-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Forget the drip - make it a Royal Flush..... :rolleyes:

Glenspey
04-09-2007, 11:59 AM
I hadn't seen this Herb but I'll be watching it from now on.
Really enjoyed reading the thread through, it is obviously flowing well.

Gayle

mauricar
04-09-2007, 01:46 PM
This is just outstanding. I watch with baited breath.
MIdge

KathyA
04-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Herb-just catching up after being gone most of March. Absolutely lovely colors--have tohand it to you for taking on such a time consuming project. It will be worth it in the end!!!!
Kathy

beckyboo
04-10-2007, 06:09 PM
Dear Herb,
I've just looked at this for the first time- the title attracted me, and what can I say but, 'WOW!' I'll be watching (and admiring) your progress.
Rebecca.

tazzers2007
04-10-2007, 07:05 PM
:D :D :D Wow this is going to be stunning when its compleated. Alot of patience and a lot of detail !:thumbsup:

pancho
04-10-2007, 07:14 PM
Wow this really an ultimate challenge and you handle it very well...

Herb
04-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Thanks so much for everyone's comments, suggestions, and encourgement. I don't have a lot of progress to show, but thought I'd better prove I was still working on it. :D

objectivistartist
04-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Sure is coming along very nicely.....:thumbsup:

TessDB
04-15-2007, 02:14 PM
Awwww... I wanted to see water!

It's still looking really good... Just wanna see moooorrrreeee! :lol:

Tess

herpworks
04-15-2007, 11:35 PM
Wow, Herb - you keener, you!! :lol: This is going to be fantastic. The colors in here are terrific and the grey was a good choice of paper to support them. Gorgeous!

cindyv4
04-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Boy... kids keep ya off the computer for a few days....and threads you've been following just fall off the face of the earth.
I love what you have so far...would love to see the update, or finished project if it's done.
Thank you,
cindy

joannd
04-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Wow is all I can say. What a challenge, and you are doing such a great job.
JoAnn

Herb
04-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Thanks, everyone! I apologize for working so slowly. I haven't had as much time to draw as I would like. I feel I should provide some work in exchange for the compensation my employer provides. :) For selfish reasons, I chose some time ago to promise on-going food and shelter to my family. :D And I am still battling two life-long addictions. Yes, I'm talking about eating and sleeping. :lol: I've found I can't live without the former, and I am a slave to the latter. Anyway... Here's what I've mangaged so far. I know it doesn't look like I've made much progress, but there's some. Plenty more work to do as well as a few thousand adjustments. Sorry for the crummy photos. P.S. Any and all suggestions for improvement will be greatly appreciated!

objectivistartist
04-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Gets better and better....... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

faula
04-30-2007, 05:26 AM
Looking very good. Thanks for the closeups, makes it easier to see the lovely textures on the rocks and leaves. :)
Probably just my monitor, but there doesn't look like there are that many different values. Looks a little flat at this stage.

surob
04-30-2007, 09:34 AM
Looking good Herb. I can relate to the working, eating and sleeping thing. I could also add a few more like mowing the lawn, cleaning the house, doing the laundry........:(

TxAggieDarlin
04-30-2007, 09:51 AM
This is really going to be beautiful....

quickcat327
05-02-2007, 03:55 PM
OK HERB it's time for an update on your progress of this grand work, come on now no excuses or we'll come to your place and dull your pencil tips ...Kevin

dotb
05-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Oh, wow, Herb! This is super! Such detail and texture. I don't want to miss this one!

frida
05-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Stupendous work Herb!!! :clap:

Sorry I just started from the end, and I am stunned looking at how well you are doing and all the amazing detail you are packing into this, not to mention the colour!

Now that I am subscribed I will make time to read it all from the beginning... :o :wave:

bfree
05-02-2007, 08:26 PM
I've just noticed this thread and went back to the beginning to see and wow, it's sure impressive seeing you work. I really like what you've done with your greens on the rocks. It's such a difficult color for me. Getting it to look like it really exists in nature, well, it does. I'm anxious to see how you handle the water.

isuki
05-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Although I haven't commented until now I have been watching the progress on this piece. Lovely moss and color you are achieving. I too am anxious to see the water. Great work!:)

Sue

Herb
05-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Thank you all so much for your encouragement and kind words! I wish I had time to hold up my end of the conversation. :( You guys sure know how to keep a person motivated.
I had an hour or so to work tonight. The water has begun to flow! :clap:

I hope to post an update this weekend.

mauricar
05-02-2007, 11:39 PM
I am looking forward to the update.
Midge

objectivistartist
05-03-2007, 02:04 AM
Ok - it's flowing.... now let's see it........:evil::lol::rolleyes:
[weekend?!! - sounds like a flush job..... :eek: :lol:]

Herb
05-06-2007, 11:31 PM
Well, here is this week's update. I've got some water moving. Don't judge the water in the mid-ground too harshly... I've only just begun to color. :D The water farthest upstream and the still water on the middle left are much further along.

I want to thank everyone again for all the kind words and for following along so patiently.

objectivistartist
05-07-2007, 12:39 AM
AAhhhhhhhh - but now that DOES need close-ups.....:evil::lol:

But from what can see, looks great, as usual.....:D:thumbsup:

faula
05-07-2007, 06:14 AM
The water is coming along nicely! :D
Second the close-ups :)

Tazz
05-07-2007, 06:19 AM
WOW Herb...it's been a while since I've peeked in here...you seem to be collecting comments, stars, and visits like gold nuggets :D Good on ya! And you're earning every one. I guess taking the time to draw ALL of those little white squares really does pay off :lol:

Really, what a great job :thumbsup: :thumbsup:, I'll try to visit more.

mahla
05-07-2007, 07:53 AM
You know what, Herb? You're amazing. I can't believe that your piece titled "Newbie Arch" was only last August!!
Thanks for teaching me/others so much, and for being an inspiration (and a really nice guy on top of it all)!
HollyA

Herb
05-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks, guys! Robert and Jennifer, I'll see what I can do about some closeups tonight, although, it looks a lot better from a distance.:wink2:

Good to hear from you again, Mitch. You won't have to visit very often as slowly as I'm progressing on this one. :lol:

Gee, Holly, what a terrific thing for you to say. :o Thank you very much.

Tazz
05-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Good to hear from you again, Mitch. You won't have to visit very often as slowly as I'm progressing on this one. :lol:

Thanks for letting me off the hook Herb...I hate commitments :D

Herb
05-07-2007, 08:46 PM
OK. Here are a few closeups. I don't know how helpful they will be. I'm shooting them with an old 2.0 megapixel camera and very limited photography skills (i.e., none). :lol: Some of the water is still in an ugly stage, but lucky for me, the Colourfix has a lot of tooth.

mauricar
05-07-2007, 09:08 PM
My goodness. This is just sooooo good. I am really enjoying myself watching you work. Thanks for sharing.
Midge

objectivistartist
05-07-2007, 11:51 PM
S till - looks good.......... :thumbsup:

Tazz
05-08-2007, 12:09 AM
WOW...told ya I'd be back :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

catchlight
05-08-2007, 12:25 AM
Herb it's looking magnificent! All that detail, gosh you're patient! :)

faula
05-08-2007, 05:59 AM
Can see the really nice detail in the close-ups :)

objectivistartist
05-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Ok....OK - WHEN IS THE NEXT UPDATE??????????????:eek:

herpworks
05-25-2007, 11:14 PM
A whole other corner has been done since I've been gone!! Yay!! Looking great Herb, keep it up!!

Herb
05-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Well, I haven't been a very good WC citizen. :o Haven't had time to do anything but pop in for a quick lurk now and then.

I've managed to make some progress, although the water is proving much more difficult than I imagined it would be. There are so many subtleties to capture. I've drawn and redrawn some sections until I'm afraid they are looking overworked.

Oh, well. Here's where it stands for now. Almost finished with the "background". Looking forward to getting to the focus point!

I appreciate everyone hanging around for so long.

faula
05-28-2007, 04:59 AM
Looks alright to me. Maybe needs a few more highlights though? :)

objectivistartist
05-28-2007, 08:38 AM
Looks like it's flowing again.......:thumbsup:

herpworks
05-28-2007, 09:19 AM
This is looking amazing Herb - that water is so real I just want to wade in. Will you be selling this or hanging on to it? It's just gorgeous!

Herb
05-28-2007, 09:38 AM
Thanks, Jennifer. I'll have to make some adjustments for sure. I wanted to wait until I finish the sunlit portion...that and I have no idea what to do at the moment. :D

It takes me about an hour to get into the "flow", Robert. Unfortunately, I never work on it more than about a half-hour at a time. :)

Thanks, Lori. By the time I finish this I may pay someone to take it. :lol:

cheryl_pig
05-28-2007, 10:17 AM
wowwwwww...it's so real......just cp used??

Herb
05-28-2007, 07:36 PM
Thanks, Cheryl. It's just Prismacolor Lightfast pencils on Colourfix paper.

catchlight
05-28-2007, 08:38 PM
It really is amazing Herb. I don't think I've seen a better realistic landscape in CP's.

Herb
05-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Wow. Thanks so much, Wendy. That will keep me going for a while!

*cassidy!
05-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Herb, I love the subject matter! Rocks can just about have any color combo you want to use and still be realistic...within reason of course ...I just finished a little landscape lighthouse piece and enjoyed working on it a lot. I do acrylic and watercolor and yes it is different, but using the burnishing and the solvent made so much difference in the outcome of this little piece. Experiment...who knows what you will discover!

By the way, I see you are from Evansville...I am a Henderson Ky native, still have family there and usually go back once a year. The old bridge there makes a pretty interesting composition if you can catch it in the right light with a barge or two...

Anxious to follow your progress on this one!

Pam

Herb
05-28-2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks, Pam. Welcome to the forum. Hope you share some of your work soon. I haven't worked up the nerve to do anything very structural so far...straight lines have to be straight! :lol: I have taken a few pictures of the tows and barges near the Newburgh locks. The river traffic and bridges seem like natural subjects.

*cassidy!
05-28-2007, 11:16 PM
Welcome Herb. The Newburg area is a great place for subject matter. Nice little horse farm just as you get into town on the right that seemed to have horses that were waiting for my camera last Oct! Pam

Herb
07-08-2007, 07:41 PM
The end is near! Still have work to do on the sunlit falls and downstream section. Thought I'd better post an update before you all forgot me completely. :lol:

Any helpful hints or constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated.

There's a bit of glare at the top center. It's not quite that bright in real life.

Thanks again so much for sticking around for so long!

Stormgirl
07-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Hi Herb,

I haven't been around for a while, and what a pleasure to come back to an update on this picture :D It is looking so fantastic, I would be truly please to hang this on any wall in my house.

My only suggestion is that maybe the moss on the other side of the creek could be darkened a bit, so that it's not the same intensity of colour as the moss at the front. Actually, one more - although I can mostly tell where the sunlight is falling, the darks could probably be pushed more to show clearly where it's not falling.

However, these are picky things, and I love the picture so much that I'm really pushing to find anything wrong with it :)

objectivistartist
07-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Was just going to bump this up with the question of update to this - good to see is still in progress.....:clap:

Herb
07-08-2007, 09:44 PM
Thanks, Dee. Good to hear from you again. Life interfering with your art as well as mine? I appreciate the kind words and suggestion. It may be the glare from my light that's making the background rocks too bright. (I can't take a decent photo to save my soul. :D ) What have you been working on lately?

I appreciate the thought, Robert. I fear WIP-fatigue has probably set in on this one for viewers and "artist" alike. I just want to finish the *&%# thing so I can move on with my life. :lol:

herpworks
07-08-2007, 10:40 PM
I just want to finish the *&%# thing so I can move on with my life. :lol:

LMAO!! You crack me up Herb. I feel your pain. Seriously though this is really looking amazing. In the end you will be glad you painstakingly and carefully got this looking just so... and it does. Bravo!!:clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

objectivistartist
07-09-2007, 12:20 AM
Agree.....

faula
07-09-2007, 04:20 AM
Great job with the little waterfalls, nice sense of movement. :D Glad to see you are still working on this. :)

Stormgirl
07-09-2007, 05:01 AM
Yep, life has definitely been interfering with my art :)

I'm just about to post my latest one, but I fear I need to start pushing myself to doing something I don't feel quite as comfortable with... As much as I love doing my animals (and I don't for one minute believe I have nothing left to learn! I know how much is still there for me to pick up) I think that it's time I left my comfort zone :D

vanity
07-09-2007, 05:18 AM
It may be one of the best cp landscapes I"ve seen here ! Water is what I like the most in this drawing , it looks perfect.

frida
07-09-2007, 04:22 PM
I admire your patience, Herb! This is a very involved piece, and as you said, the end is near! It is wonderful! :clap:

I put it in greyscale first, so you can see first how even the values are. Then I just upped the contrast, and it shows you where you can go darker.

I know you have worked long and hard on this, so if you are willing to lose some detail, going over some areas evenly will do it and not be too time consuming, as long as you don't lose the light values and highlights in the process.

As it's been said, you will have a feeling of triumph if you push it a bit more... :thumbsup:

coffeecup12
07-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Glad you posted an update, Herb. This was my first view of your project and it is awesome! I admire your dedication...it's inspiring!

Mary

Herb
07-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks, Lori, Robert, Jennifer, and Mary. I'll definitely feel like I accomplished something when I finish...good or bad. :evil: Lori, you make the detail look so easy.

I'm glad you guys like the water, Jennifer and Vanity. The way the flow of water and curve of the rocks moved my eye attracted me to the original composition. I'm glad someone else sees it too!

I like your animals, Dee, but stretching is good!

I see what you mean, Raquel. I've struggled with the values all along. (I think it is one of the pitfalls of my one-grid-square-at-a-time approach.) Here is the grey scale of the original photo along with the grey scale of the latest update. Looks like I have some more work to do! I tried to leave enough tooth to go back and make such corrections. With exception of a few small areas, I think I have.

JayD
07-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Herb, I am setting up the thread linking from D&S to your thread here in the cp forum. this is a great twist on the use of the grid Thanks for your cooperation!

SparrowHawk7
07-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Hi Herb. I hang out in the D&S section but I saw the cross link from Jay and popped in to take a peek. Values are tough enough to get right in graphite let alone adding color to the mix. It looks like you are quite close to the end now ... just a little more balancing of values and you'll have a wonderful piece of art. Someday I'm going to try cp ... but for now I struggle enough with graphite let alone adding colors. :eek: :rolleyes:

I've been interested in reading about your graph method which is quite similar in some ways to what I've come to do - although I don't actually use a graph or a line drawing because I'm impatient to start sculpting. But I do work a small area at a time until it is nearly complete before moving on to the next in a manner very similar to what you have done. I use two methods to determine feature placement (since I primarily do portraits). One is to measure things based on what I have already drawn and the other is to scan it regularly and place it next to the original in Photoshop at the same scale and use my eye to locate the feature. As you've found here, it takes a fair amount of courage to work an area to full tonal depth but it's rewarding as well. I find your method to be quite interesting and very well done.

mcole15
07-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Herb,
This is one of the most jaw dropping landscapes I have ever seen rendered, in any media. And I've seen a lot of landscapes. Please keep posting updates I can't wait to see this finished, its very inspiring.

Herb
07-10-2007, 08:52 PM
You're very welcome, Jay. I hope someone benefits from it, even if in some small way.

Thanks, Ken! "Struggle" must be one of those relative words. :D I'm still in awe of your portrait of General Lee. The textures you captured...hair, beard, and wool of the jacket...are amazing to see. I very much appreciate your kind words. Hope you give CP a try soon!

Wow, Michael. Thanks! You sure you weren't looking at the original photo by mistake? :lol:

quickcat327
07-12-2007, 05:11 PM
Herb have just been through this excelent wip again and want to say it still inspires,such great dedicationand determination to finish shows that it pays
with a great work, Thanks for taking us along on your journey.

Herb
07-12-2007, 08:49 PM
Thank you for your kind words and considerable encouragement, Kevin. I especially appreciate that you initially rated this thread. The desire to rise to your (and others') expectations has, and continues, to keep me going when I want to quit. Of course, now I'm worried I may screw something up, trip and fall as it were, very publicly, in the final stretch! :lol:

Herb
07-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Not finished yet. Still have to work on the downstream rocks and water.

Tried to punch up the lights and darks. Worked on the falls some more, adding some color. I think it helped.

The first is a better photo than I've had before taken in daylight. The second, of course, is grey scale.

Critiques welcome!

frida
07-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Quite a difference Herb! :thumbsup: It has much more definition now...

What I am seeing indicates you are closer than you think to the finish line:

On my post #149 I increased the contrast on YOUR piece, and comparing it with the greyscale you posted of the original on your post #151, I find the values you were getting were much more interesting! Let me see if I can say it in a different way... :rolleyes:

On the greyscale of the original, the values are evenly distributed all over the place, while when I increased the contrast evenly on the greyscale of your piece, the values are better, a bit concentrated on the foreground and a bit on the middle ground, and the far ground is a bit faded, which causes it to go even farther back.

Please holler if it is still not clear! :)

Herb
07-15-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks, Raquel. I think I see what you mean. I was trying to keep a few things in mind:

I tried to have more detail closer and less detail farther away.

I tried to have more vivid colors closer and duller colors farther away.

I thought the values should differ near to far, as well, but I have struggled with that more than the others. A lot, I think, because of doing it one grid sqare at a time over such a long period of time. But, also, because the grey scale of the original photo doesn't have much variation in contrast whether near or far, as you point out.

I haven't understood what to make of that. I know photos "lie" to us but I still can't catch them at it. :lol:

In the end I just tried to make it "look right".

The more I learn the more I realize how little I know. :lol: :lol:

GoldenArt
07-16-2007, 12:18 PM
Herb, I have just found this post and I am very pleased that I did. You show us all that the extra efforts put into a work can produce the things we see in our minds eye. You made a statement at the start of this WIP," My plan is to place a patch of sunlight over the little waterfall to serve as a focal point." This gives me encouragement, I have to draw and then take credit if anything turns out.....not you , you call your shot and then put in the time to make sure you get it. Superb!! Thanks for the WIP. Take warning you have been rated.

Flame Lily
07-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Wow, so much work on this... a mammoth undertaking! Wonderful Herb! I love the sticks lying around - wish I could see it all closer.

frida
07-16-2007, 02:24 PM
I tried to have more detail closer and less detail farther away.

I tried to have more vivid colors closer and duller colors farther away.

I thought the values should differ near to far, as well, but I have struggled with that more than the others.

A lot, I think, because of doing it one grid sqare at a time over such a long period of time.

In the end I just tried to make it "look right".

The more I learn the more I realize how little I know. :lol: :lol:
I believe you know more than you realize, and your modesty allows you to acknowledge! :thumbsup: I don't mind telling you this, because by now I know you are not the kind of person who would let that cloud his vision...

Without really lying, many photos offer information, but not necessarily a focal point or interest, and that's when we compose and use artistic licence to make it more appealing to the eye. :smug: Making it look convincing and having some kind of unity that gives our eyes a path around it is very important. You are learning fast, no doubt about it.

I also believe what you say about doing it a square at a time. Would you use that approach again?

Rick expressed your attitude and dedication with great words! :clap:

Herb
07-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Thank you very much, Rick! I'm still not too sure how the sunlight thing will turn out, but I was determined to try it. I think the key will be in how well (or not) I capture the light shining down through the water onto the submerged rocks.

Flame Lilly, (that is such an interesting screen name) thanks for noticing the sticks, and for the kind words. Those are some of my favorite things in this drawing. I especially like the ones sticking out of the still water in the top right quadrant. I wanted to keep in as much detail as possible so I could find something interesting to look at almost anywhere on the drawing, yet still have it all work together as an overall scene.

Thanks again to you, too, Raquel, for your kind words and thoughtful help. On balance, I think the benefits of the grid...for me...for this particular drawing...outweighed the drawbacks. I couldn't imagine trying to do this one without a line drawing or grid or some kind of aid. And I can't imagine completing the line drawing without going nuts.

If I were to do another drawing with as much detail, I think I would use the grid again, but I would try and rough in all the drawing and build values and color over the drawing as a whole rather than working each small section to near completion.

Tazz
07-17-2007, 01:20 AM
Hi Herb, haven't stopped by here for a while...Where'd all the little white squares go!?!?!

By glancing over this I see you've come a long way and your efforts have certainly paid off. I really feel the sense of depth you've accomplished here. This really makes you feel that as you explore it's details, you are going deeper into the piece.

Really a very good job over quite a eventful journey!

Herb
07-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks, Mitch! It has been quite a journey for me. Almost there...maybe by this weekend.

Rita2479
07-19-2007, 07:01 PM
Herb, I've missed this thread for awhile...
Looking at your progess all I can say is :eek: :eek:!! You must have the patience of a saint! ;)

This looks fabulous and it's really very refreshing to see a landscape done in cp. Raquel makes some very good points and as far as values go, I think that's something all artists struggle with at some point (I know I sure do :rolleyes:). This WIP, I think, has been a valuable lesson for many...thanks so much for sharing it with us!

Rita

RobinZ
07-19-2007, 07:14 PM
This turned out beautifully.

objectivistartist
07-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Most certainly this brings landscape in color pencils to a new level - and great for that!!:clap::clap::clap: Every time look in on this, and it just keeps getting better and better and more inspiring.... :thumbsup:

Herb
07-21-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks, Rita, Robin, and Robert! (Had to get that down for the sheer pleasure of the alliteration. :D )

I've been pushing the values a bit more, Rita. I hope someone has found some benefit from watching me fool around with this for so long! :o

Robert, you and Rita flatter me with your comments about CP landscapes. Thank you! I haven't seen many here in the CP forum, but there's some awesome work out there on the web. If I ever finish, :D I'm thinking I might cross-post to the Landscape forum to see what pointers those folks might offer. I don't know how all those oil and pastel folks will react to CP, though.

Meanwhile, I had hoped to finish this weekend, but I am still working on (i.e., obsessing over) the submerged rocks downstream of the falls.

Herb
07-21-2007, 11:03 PM
Robert, you and Rita flatter me with your comments about CP landscapes. Thank you! I haven't seen many here in the CP forum, but there's some awesome work out there on the web.

:eek: When I re-read that it sounds like I was suggesting I hadn't seen many good landscapes in the CP forum. That's NOT what I mean to say. I mean to say I haven't seen many landscapes on the CP forum. Geez! Communicating would be easy if it wasn't for language. :o

objectivistartist
07-21-2007, 11:54 PM
I mean to say I haven't seen many landscapes on the CP forum.which is why seeing yours is such a pleasure....... and an inspiration......

Herb
07-22-2007, 11:10 AM
OK! I may come back after a few days and work on the ripples downstream of the falls. They are not in the right perspective size-wise and may be too bright. Otherwise, I'm about ready to call this one finished.

Any suggestions for improvements will be gladly accepted!

Thanks again to everyone who has taken time to look in, comment, and offer encouragement. I never would have finished this without your support!

faula
07-23-2007, 06:56 AM
If the ripples bug you, just make them a little darker, maybe less of them?

This is a wonderful landscape! Great job with the flowing water on the waterfalls.

Not sure if you have posted what you are going to do with this? Enter it into competitions? Sell it?

Herb
07-23-2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks, Jennifer. I couldn't stand the ripples, so I toned them way down last night. I feel good about it now. :) Didn't see much point in re-posting the minor change.

I think I'll get this one framed. My sister-in-law runs a frame shop, so the price will be right. :D

I don't know if it's good enough to enter in a show. Might try a local show they have each year.

faula
07-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Have to love family connections some times lol :)

Def. good enough to enter into a show!!

surob
07-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Beautiful job Herb. :clap: It needs to be entered in some kind of show.

cesart
07-23-2007, 09:14 PM
I second surob, very well done! I would place it in a show, has all the qualities of winning.
Best;
Chris

cindyv4
07-24-2007, 09:55 AM
:clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: !!!!!
Well done and with so much care. I would never had lasted that long on my own work...loved watching yours though!
Thank you so much for the show and the lessons I learned along the way!
Congrats on work well done!
cindyv

Herb
07-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks, all! I really appreciate your kind words.

frida
07-24-2007, 09:57 PM
You have done extremely well with this daunting piece Herb!!! :clap:

Please let us know if you enter it in any kind of show or competition. It should fare very well.

Great accomplishment! :thumbsup:

d-images
07-25-2007, 05:51 AM
How do you achieve such detail in a picture with so much going on.You're a genius my man.So so much to learn.Thanks for the inspiration.
D'Shey.

Herb
07-25-2007, 08:53 AM
Thank you for all your help and support, past and present, Raquel.

Thank you, D'Shey. Welcome to CP!

Tazz
07-25-2007, 09:25 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Just REALLY speachless Herb....So many reasons why this is done so well and why this thread deserved all of the attention it recieved...OH Hell, here's a couple more :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ams
07-25-2007, 09:27 AM
Beautiful job Herb. I've peeked in a couple of times along the way but I'm not sure I ever commented. You did a great job with the grass, the detail of everything lying on the ground, and the water. I just love how you captured the rushing water.

Anne

IrishRose
07-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Wow! I am totally in awe, Herb! Just jumped on here as I used to be on here a lot until other media grabbed my attention and then I began running projects, so haven't had much time to catch the threads, but just spent 1/2 hour going through all the pages... I am really amazed at the level of talent and yes, your PATIENCE! It is the best piece I've seen in a long time, I know you're probably tired of looking at it, but it was worth it. Time to go out and get some more greens for yourself, most likely! You really made this a SUPER thread! Great going!

Herb
07-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Mitch, Anne, and Rose, thank you very much for your kind words and support. You'd think I would be tired of looking at it, but I still manage to sneak a peek every time I pass the Den. :lol: Actually didn't use more than half a pencil of green and not that much of anything else.