PDA

View Full Version : Out There Somewhere

Jimmy57
07-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Here is something I've been working on. I've tried various textures and colours and have even gessoed over it to start fresh. I still think it needs something but am stumped. Should I add something, leave it as it is, gesso again and start fresh? Comments please.

acrylic 12 x 16 with rice paper and gel medium

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2007/77564-Dscn1047_2_1_1.JPG

friesin
07-23-2007, 04:12 PM
so far it looks wonderful,
but nevertheless I am missing some focus to look at.

my eyes wander around through the picture without anything to stick on, nothing realistic (no flying birds!!!! :evil: ), but something dark.

Skyenorth
07-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Its beautiful. I see white fluffy clouds, maybe make them whiter. I just placed a piece of dark card along the bottom of the painting just to see what it would do. You may just have to be very bold and experiment. But it is lovely almost dream like as it is.

Happy painting.

KimRF
07-23-2007, 05:41 PM
I also like it as it is. My eye goes right to the darkness in the lower right corner. If you are feeling as though it might need more, try observing it turned upside down or on the side...that may tell you just what you need to know. Lovely colors!

Bevahlee
07-23-2007, 06:52 PM
I think you're feeling the need for more. I feel that the clouds make it look more like an attempt at landscape, as opposed to a total abstraction. Therefore I feel it needs either more or less. No clouds, but maybe more gradation or texture. Personally I would like to see you do another sheet, smaller, maybe with edges that are not cut but water brushed out (take a wet brush and make your square shape in the rice paper and pull it out) and paint that, playing with variations on the edges and glue that atop this piece. I think you will be much more satisfied. I would. :-)

Jimmy57
07-23-2007, 10:24 PM
Thank you all for your comments. I keep expecting someone to say, "Perhaps you should try accounting as a hobby..........." but instead I get very supportive, positive, and helpful advice which is exactly what I need as I am still at an early stage in my art explorations and am still full of the self-doubts that I think most artists feel at one time or another.

So............. need for a focal point = yes. I guess I reached this stage and was afraid of "ruining" what I had. I know I need to be more adventuresome and just see what happens.

Turning it around = also yes. So many things that "could" be when viewed differently.

More rice paper = yes again. I like this idea as this project started out in an experiment with texture to get away from my compulsion to have everything smooth and realistic.

So.......... only one picture and so many possibilities :thumbsup:

Thank you all again for being so supportive.

Skyenorth
07-24-2007, 04:26 AM
I just realised that I was seeing your painting as a non abstract piece of art. And that is because I have been a realism seascape artist most of my life, only just recently coming to realise the real beauty of abstract. So indeed the clouds are not a good suggestion. A beautiful painting keep up the good work.

Wilsonart
07-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Take a look at this work by Elaine Daily Birnbaum,,,
this is watercolor,,,,but looks much like oil or acrylic.
Very inspiring. The color in yours made me think of this one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2007/93518-Staying.jpg

vhere
07-25-2007, 05:34 AM
that example shows exactly what I was going to suggest :) - a tiny little something in a complementary colour (can be a subtle complementary, doesn't have to be 'loud') and the whole thing gels :)