PDA

View Full Version : M-from-M breaks down and uses PA as ref

manfrommerriam
07-22-2007, 08:27 PM
I never paint pictures from my plein air work... but, I received a call from the place that represents my stuff.... would I come up with something new for their 15th anniversary? I wanted to show them something different and had a gold 16x20 inches (40.5x51CM) PA frame in the cellar. So I got a matching stretched linen support with acrylic gesso on it and started thinking. Just back from Western Kansas I had a number of interesting, (I think) PAs. People in Kansas love big-cloud-art, (the local equivalent of Maine-lobster-boat-art). So I painted this, named after the seat of Greeley County, KS shown in it, #1: "Tribune".
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2007/48161-WC-2007-299_Tribune.jpg
#2: I started out with this setup, I'm about two miles North at the intersection of O Road and Rt 27. note the 0.01 pen drawing on the easel.
#3: Here is the PA piece "Tribune Morning" as completed, pen and watercolor on 11 x 15 inch (28x38CM) Arches 140# cold press paper. This, the setup photo and two photos in my collection of storm clouds were my references.
#4: I started by dividing the canvas and painting 2/3rds with a fairly light blue-gray and 1/3 with a grayed, very warm yellow, (pumpkin like). The clouds were created by adding increasing amounts of white to the blue-gray.
I proceeded to paint the lower 1/3rd dark to light and #1 is the completed piece.
Comments, whatever, welcome.
Have fun, :) Dave

manfrommerriam
07-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Crawled out of bed this morning and decided the thing would not do.
1th: Reworked the foreground, made it lighter and warmer while breaking the strength of the pattern there; eliminated much of the detail that distracted from the town on the horizon.
2nd: darkened and warmed the two grain elevators on the skyline to make them more easily read.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2007/48161-WC-2007-299_Tribune_Morning_2_framed.jpg
3rd: Renamed it "Tribune Morning, II"
It is now in the frame I had down in the cellar and that does a lot for a painting.
Comments, jibes or whatever always welcome.
Have fun, :) Dave

Elannie
07-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Warming up the foreground made a great difference in the painting! You really captured the mid-day light of the plains.

brianc
07-23-2007, 10:33 PM
I love the expansive feeling you got on this one. Those clouds are magnificent! :clap: Love the warm colors. Detail on the horizon is exciting!

ShannonAnne
08-01-2007, 11:54 PM
This wonderful! No crits here...I love the addition of the gold bits in the foreground which ties the frame into the piece. The only thing that might improve the unity of the picture but also could deviate from the truthfulness of the light you have captured is a tint made from that gold tone, glazed here and there in the clouds. There are already lavender bits in the bottom portion so I think it might take it to the next level. Or you can stick with what you've got! :)

Carry on!

manfrommerriam
08-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Shannon: I saw some thunderheads in Western Kansas that were in a sky that was monochromatic... just shades of gray-blue. I'm after that sort of effect here.... something understated so the powerful clouds don't take over completely... (but obviously decided to warm and darken the upper areas) My efforts were aimed towards having the sky an "extra" after the viewer has examined the town on the horizon.
Have fun, Dave

cjorgensen
11-03-2007, 12:24 PM
I liked the first one just fine. But the second one! Wow! Warming up the forground really made it pop! :)

ddel
11-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Loved the cloud and the expanse of the sky but my eye kept returning to the horizon buildings then off to another place. I could look at this painting for a long time.
Doug

texana6
11-08-2007, 10:47 PM
I live in Texas now but am a native of Kansas ... so refreshing to hear compliments regarding a Kansas landscape! So weary of all the Wizard of Oz jokes and people complaining that Kansas is so flat. It's not what you look at it's what you see. Bravo, Dave! M-from-M!

Bill Foehringer
11-09-2007, 05:08 PM
I like the redo alot. People don't think the midwest has big skys like out west but we do, same planet, lol. BillF

Yorky
11-09-2007, 05:37 PM
They are both beautiful Dave, but the PA is outstanding. Wonderful sky.

Doug