PDA

View Full Version : Tree

Old Tex
07-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Just a simple tree in the Texas sunshine. Figured I'd post it just to keep my hand in.

Gouache 8x10
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2007/100938-Tree.jpg

meglyman
07-25-2007, 08:05 AM
Ralph, I love the tree! As always, you did a great job with the light coming through the branches.

The path/road looks a bit out of place - it doesn't really feel like your style. It's well placed but isn't really "integrated" into the rest of the painting.

Still, the tree.... wow! What mixtures do you use for those really dark areas?

friesin
07-25-2007, 09:28 AM
your trees are just wonderful !!!!

do you paint plein air ?
which brand of colours do you use ?

Old Tex
07-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Hi Meg. It was really just about the tree, but I threw the road in just to balance things a little. I'm not thrilled with it, but since it was just a tree study, I decided not to spend a lot of time on the road. Glad you like the tree. The dark areas are primarily prussian blue and burnt sienna.

friesin, thank you! I haven't painted plein air yet. I keep hoping to, but the weather here has been pretty unpredictable, with a lot of rain recently. We'll be spending a week visiting my wife's relatives in Ohio in August, and I hope to try it then. Regarding the colors, I tend to be a creature of habit these days, and don't experiment much, so I use Windsor & Newton designer's gouache exclusively. But there was another thread here lately that suggested another good brand that may be less expensive, so I may try them.

Brad121
09-15-2007, 05:53 AM
Excellent, a nice three dimensional tree, that is so obviously the focus...

Brad

Old Tex
09-15-2007, 08:06 AM
Thanks, Brad! I appreciate that.