PDA

View Full Version : New Website - A Switch for Convenience

David Patterson
07-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Hello my dusty friends!

I just thought I'd let you know that I have a new website (link below). I was able to use the same domain name, so I switched to Artspan. My old website (hosted by Yahoo) took me a long time just to load/create all the photos, thumbnails, keywords, links, and site index info. It was basically sucking up a lot of my time, and caused me to delay posting any new work.

I had to use one of Artspan's templates, but found most of them to be very clean and professional looking. Loading new work takes me under 5 minutes, compared to the 20 minutes or more that I was spending updating my own site. The other plus side was that Artspan is for artists and photographers...so it's suppose to be better for search engines to find...that's what they say anyway!:)

A negative...that would be the fact that it has forums just like WetCanvas...so there could be a habit of spending too much time on those threads!:D

Anyway...I just thought I'd share my web notes with you. If you don't have a website yet, you really should try one out. If anything, they are great for storing photos, and info on your work.

Stay creative!

David:wave:

Kathryn Wilson
07-21-2007, 05:07 PM
Welcome to Artspan David - that makes 4 of us that I know of.

I enjoy the ease of Artspan and, no, I don't spend any time on the forum - I rarely look in there other than for help.

David Patterson
07-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks Kat!

Looking at your recent posts, you've been a busy lady! I know your show will be a blast, but I can tell that getting ready for it has been a real chore!

David

Piper Ballou
07-21-2007, 05:25 PM
David, I had looked at lots of websites and decided that artspan was easy for me to use too...I have not have many problems with them and they are quick to answer any questions...

I checked the forum, but Wetcanvas is enough for me...hard to keep up her sometimes.

your website looks nice
piper

David Patterson
07-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Thanks Piper...I know what you mean about keeping up with forums....I think I'll be in here 90% of the time. When using a forum that is!:lol:

David

Merethe T
07-21-2007, 05:48 PM
David, your website look great! This is the first time I've heard about Artspan, looks interesting...gotta check out a little more...

Merethe

David Patterson
07-21-2007, 06:01 PM
Thanks Merethe! There are a few of us WC members that use it now.

Punky2
07-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Hi David,

The new website looks great. The old one was nice too, but this looks a bit more polished.

Terri

mrking
07-21-2007, 06:29 PM
Hey, this is great. Just had a look at your site. Great paintings!

Now if artspan could incorporate a shopping cart and payment system for artist to sell their work, it would be almost perfect.

Glad it is easy to upload and manage your gallery now.

How long did it take you to put all your one the first time around?

Cheers,

Mike

David Patterson
07-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks Terri and Mike.

Mike - It took about 2 minutes per photo. I did have to make sure my photos where around 600x500 pixels, so I spent a couple of hours in photoshop first. Creating the differant galleries, and pages were a snap...probably 5 minutes each. Very easy to work with. I bet they will have a shopping cart in the future, because they say they are always udating the site with new features.

David

Kathryn Wilson
07-21-2007, 07:03 PM
The thing I don't like about shopping carts is that they take the human factor out of the equation. Someone wants a painting, clicks on the cart, and voila the painting is theirs.

But do you know who they are, why they are buying the painting, you know the communication is not there.

I'd rather handle the sale myself and talk with the people first. I've sold stuff on Ebay for years and still communicate directly with my buyers.

Kathryn Day
07-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Hi David, your website looks very professional and your paintings look wonderful. Didn't know you were an awesome photographer. A lot of beautiful photographs.

birdhs
07-21-2007, 07:44 PM
Out of curiosity I clicked on your website. I found it easy to use, informative and a great marketing tool. Oh yeah...you are REALLY talented. It was like stopping by a neighborhood gallery. Wish I could see them in person.

mrking
07-21-2007, 08:26 PM
It was like stopping by a neighborhood gallery. Wish I could see them in person.

That is exactly what I was thinking. ;)

Has anyone here sold a painting because of artspan or is the intention just as an online gallery to show your work in a more private manner?

Oh, Kathryn I took a cue from you. I saw your web address is artbyKathrynwilson.com. I loved that idea so I registered artbymichaelking.com. Just wanted to say thanks for the idea. :D Now I just have to get better at painting and then I can start something. hehe

Pat Isaac
07-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Great website, David. Very polished and professional.

Pat

Kathryn Wilson
07-21-2007, 08:33 PM
That is exactly what I was thinking. ;)

Has anyone here sold a painting because of artspan or is the intention just as an online gallery to show your work in a more private manner?

Yes, I just sold 3 paintings, with the possibility of 2 more. One buyer is local and another came directly from Artspan.

:D

Piper Ballou
07-21-2007, 09:07 PM
I have not sold a painting off of Artspan yet...but everyone wants to know if you have a website so I have an address to give them....
I have also been thinking of posting some of my work on other "free" websites, there was a list over in the business section of free sites where you can post ones paintings and then link them back to the website...it is so more people can see your work....

piper

AnnieA
07-21-2007, 09:37 PM
David: It really does look very nice and professional. One small nit: I think the dark muted green background color needs lettering of greater contrast than you've got in the title or sidebar in order to read really well. It's not at all awful or anything like that - I can read it, but I think it might be better. What about a reverse, like the "Artspan" stuff at the top? Overall it's a great site - very easy to navigate and well organized. And some beautiful artwork!

I love the Venice painting and the market scene. I haven't been posting a much in the SP forum, so I guess I've missed seeing a lot of paintings - it sure looks like you've grown a lot! They're gorgeous!

It's interesting - your landscape photos seem to have a very painterly look to them.

Piper: Free websites where? I don't intend to sell, so I don't want to fork out anything for a site, but if there was an easy free one, I'd sure want to take advantage of that.

Congrats on the sales, Kat! (David, I bet it's just a matter of time...)

Doodlebug1967
07-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Welcome to Artspan David. I've been on there for about a year and I love it. It was recommended to me by another artist friend. I work in the graphics industry and have dabbled in web design a little....well, Artspan makes making your own web site a snap and you don't need to know much at all....but then, you have disovered that already. Have you used the stats portion of it yet? It's VERY cool. You can see how many individual hits you've had in an hour, day, week, month...time spent on each paget, etc. It's very useful to see how often it's viewed. I don't know if it makes much of a difference really, but it's interesting and in the least you know people are viewing your site. I also love how you can have unlimited galleries and images for less than $20 a month. So for those who don't want to spend a lot but want a good online "portfolio"...which is what I use it for...it's a really good bargain.

And David, I saw more of you work on there that I have not seen on here. Beautiful work. I love how vivid and rich your pastel work is. Hope the site works well for you. Let us know if it generates any more sales for you.

Ronda

David Patterson
07-22-2007, 01:54 AM
David: One small nit: I think the dark muted green background color needs lettering of greater contrast than you've got in the title or sidebar in order to read really well. It's not at all awful or anything like that - I can read it, but I think it might be better. What about a reverse, like the "Artspan" stuff at the top?
Annie - thanks for your nice comments on my work. The one thing an Artspan user can not do is change the lettering on the templates. I actually do not have a problem with the color of the type in the sidebar. You might want to make sure you have your monitor calibrated correctly. Since I do a lot of photographs, I calibrate my monitor once a month - they do change drastically over time, especially with grey/green colors, like the kind on my website template.

Kathy,"birdhs" & Pat - Thanks for your wonderful comments about my work, they're very much appreciated!

Mike - I've only been on Artspan for three weeks, so it's still too early to expect any sales.

Rhonda - Thanks for your comments also. You should put your Artspan website link on your WetCanvas signature line...every bit of marketing helps!

David

AnnieA
07-22-2007, 03:18 AM
David: It may very well be my monitor - I'm using my ancient (yet well-loved) old thinkpad. At any rate, as I said earlier, it was a very small issue anyway.

You seem to have changed your avatar photo since we last spoke as well, David - you even look more "arty" than before! :D (It must be the goatee! :p)

Best wishes with the new site! (I hope you're doing more paintings like the "Market" one - it's exceptionally good.)

David Patterson
07-22-2007, 03:25 AM
David: It may very well be my monitor - I'm using my ancient (yet well-loved) old thinkpad. At any rate, as I said earlier, it was a very small issue anyway.

You seem to have changed your avatar photo since we last spoke as well, David - you even look more "arty" than before! (It must be the goatee! )

Best wishes with the new site! (I hope you're doing more paintings like the "Market" one - it's exceptionally good.)

Yes Annie...the "goatee" is an experiment. It's only a week of growth, so the jury is still out on it. My wife is not sure of what to think of it. We'll see, I'll give it a couple of more weeks...well, if it makes me more "arty", I guess that can't hurt!:D

David

maggie latham
07-22-2007, 09:01 AM
Hello,
The website looks great!
Maggie

Karen Margulis
07-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Great website David! I really enjoyed looking at all your work in one place! I just joined artspan too this past week...so I guess that makes 5 of us??? I am stilll working on putting up my paintings but it is sooooo much easier than my old site which I never took the time to update!!
Karen

Shari
07-22-2007, 01:01 PM
David,

Your website is great!!! Doesn't it feel good to have it up and running? I put my art on Artspan about a month ago, maybe a little longer, and I love it. I haven't sold anything from Artspan yet, but I also do not have prices on my work. I thought it would be classier not to put prices but I noticed some people do. If I approach a gallery, I think it would be better not to have prices. Your work is wonderful, I didn't realize how versatile you are.

David Patterson
07-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks Maggie, Karen and Shari! Glad you enjoyed my work.

Karen - I saw your site yesterday in Artspan...you came up on the opening page as a new user. I always love looking at your work. You would be surprized to know how many of us in WC have their sites in Artspan...I know there are at least a dozen.

Shari - When Desmond O'Hagan was talking about marketing in his workshop, his opinion was that artists do not list their prices on their websites. He said that a high price may keep some from inquiring further, and a low price may make one think your work is sub par. I only price my prints. He also mentioned that galleries prefer you don't list them. Some artists, after removing their art from galleries, drop down their prices, removing the commission the galleries would of taken. I'm not sure what to think of that practice though. Also, making one contact you, opens opens up the door for communication better.

Paula Ford
07-22-2007, 01:48 PM
Love the new website David!! :clap:

Tell me about the World Artist Directory. I've never heard of it before.

Paula :wave:

David Patterson
07-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Love the new website David!! :clap:

Tell me about the World Artist Directory. I've never heard of it before.

Paula :wave:
Thanks Paula,

The following is from their website:

"The World Artist Directory is the internet's source for locating accomplished artists worldwide. Since acceptance is based solely on quality of technique and expression, only 25% of artists that apply qualify for inclusion. As a result, you can be assured that you will be listed among some of the world's finest artists."

I think you get "juried" in, but I think most of the WC artists would make it in...I did! :)

It didn't cost anything, and is one of those art sites that I believe you can link back to your website.

David

Merethe T
07-23-2007, 03:16 PM
I just have to ask...what is "The World Artist Directory" ? Is it part of artspan? I've never heard of this either.

Merethe

Trilby
07-23-2007, 05:08 PM
David, very fine web site. You designed it well using the template. And welcome to Artspan. I am a moderator in the forum. We are trying to grow the forum and make it more than a chat room for a few so I hope you will drop in from time to time.
I've been with Artspan since last Nov. and have liked them very well. Not wanting to learn html a site with templates is meant for me. I expect that you have hi speed. I am on dial up and it takes an ungodly amount of time for me load images into the image list and then into my site, but when I use a neighbor's hi speed it's wonderfully fast to accomplish things on the site.
I sold one painting early on and recently sold two more that were local but saw the work on my site. I post my prices since I personally don't buy or inquire when I don't know the price. It personally annoys me to not have prices. I show in a gallery and I price all my work consistent with my gallery prices. I have also noted that those sites without prices seem to get hit with scam emails more often.
Sitekreator is one place to make a free website, really a free web page. artwanted.com will give you wonderful presentation with unlimited images for $39 a year, fewer images for free.
TJ

David Patterson
07-24-2007, 01:40 AM
Hi Trilby...Thanks for the nice comments about my website, and yes, I've noticed you in the Artspan forums. I'll drop in now and then, and try not to be too much of a stranger. I must admit though, I've got quite a family of friends in here, so getting over to Artspan may take some doing!:)

David

chinchilla
07-24-2007, 02:52 AM
lovely website!! now you have me thinking - lol! i use yahoo and it takes
me so long to upload new work because i'm not that proficient with all
that stuff. i have one new piece that i'd like to upload....:(
you have beautiful work and it's showcased nicely :)

David Patterson
07-24-2007, 09:18 AM
Thank you Jen! Yes, I was always putting off updating my Yahoo site...just because it took so dang long!

David