PDA

View Full Version : Tucker

Seleeni
07-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Hi Friends,

Here's my dog portrait of Tucker, already sent off to the owners with my fingers crossed that they like it. My first commission and first deadline so I just had to go with my gut instinct that it was finished. Maybe I played up the colors too much, don't know. It's the first portrait that didn't have big color differences between the background, foreground and subject because I wanted his white fur to play up the reflected colors around him. So I hopes he separates out enough. And then I didn't want the foreground to distract too much, which I learned the preliminary study I posted here. He does look more blended --the scanner separates the strokes and colors more. I welcome comments because I'll learn more for the next one.

Thanks for looking! Selene

I'll post the underpainting first:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2007/91995-Tucker_Underpainting_72.jpg

Tucker
Gouache, 8 1/2 x 11 1/2
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2007/91995-Tucker.jpg

maggie latham
07-20-2007, 08:52 PM
:cat:
Wow! Selene,
He is lovely! I’m sure they owners will be very pleased. I like the composition better than the one you posted a couple of weeks ago. I bet you are happy with this one. You should be!
Maggie

Old Tex
07-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Absolutely wonderful, Selene! Very nice. Good job!

Seleeni
07-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Thanks Maggie and Ralph! It's so nice to get complements while I'm feeling insecure waiting for the owners to get the package. This is a new experience for sure.

Selene

maggie latham
07-22-2007, 09:53 PM
:cat:
Hello Selene,
I am sure they will love it as much as we do!
Just in case you are interested I have been experimenting with my pastels on a different surface, and have just posted a couple of threads in the Pastel Talk forum. Thought you might be interested. One of these days I’ll post a WIP of one of my gouache/ watercolor paintings, so that you can see how I paint to an upright easel.
Good luck with your painting….Oh, you mentioned the Monsoons…do you live in India?
Maggie

Seleeni
07-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Hi Maggie,

We have monsoons here in Northern Arizona, July through the beginning of August. A nice change from the blasting heat of June.

The owner called and was thrilled about the painting. Said I really caught the personality of Tucker. It sure did help to have about 15 pictures of him in various activities.

yes, I'll check out your pastels and do do the WIP with the gouache!

Selene

meglyman
07-25-2007, 08:08 AM
Beautiful! I love the composition, the look in his eyes, and the reflections of color on his coat. Awesome job! Thanks for posting the underpainting, too, and those initial sketches. It really helps to see someone else's process and all the planning that goes into a painting!
Meg

HRSG
07-25-2007, 08:11 AM
This is wonderful! I can see the life and light in his eyes. :)

Seleeni
07-25-2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks for your comments, Meg and HRSG. It seems the more I paint, the more I enjoy it as I learn the subtleties of brush, paint and paper.

Selene