PDA

View Full Version : Jullian Plein Air Travel Box Table Easel?

JamesDFarrow
07-19-2007, 02:02 PM
This one:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz503/29/

Anyone have one of these?

Will this be good for my 24" x 30" x 1/4" Hardboard panels?

I can sit down and paint at a dining room table O.K.?

Solid enough? Does it have rubber feet on the bottom so it doesn't slide around on the table?

Opinions?

Thanks,

James :)

Lady Carol
07-19-2007, 03:17 PM
I use a Mabef (http://www.mabef.com/download/pdf/M-22.pdf)easel at my kitchen counter. The advantage to my easel is that if I want to take it outside and I have done so several times, I can unfold legs and it is a full stand up easel.

I think what you have chosen is fine but I never thought that I would be painting large and some of my pieces have been quite large 3X4 foot, etc. So you really don't want to limit yourself on size of canvas if you can help it. Also you may find that standing to paint is a better option. I do these days. I can walk forward to apply the paint and then step back to see the effect.

jan409
07-19-2007, 05:15 PM
My easel is just like this. I love it. Jan

JamesDFarrow
07-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Thanks!

I am not limiting my canvas size. I do plan on doing some larger. But I know this easel won't take, say, the 24" x 48" x 1/2" boards I have. Just to much weight. Those I can jury-rig something. I just don't want, nor can I afford, to spend a fortune on an easel that is to large for an apartment just because I will have the odd larger size hardboard canvas. I really like the 24" x 30" x 1/4" size boards that I just had cut so will probably do mostly that size. For the foreseeable future anyway.

Paulafv
07-19-2007, 09:07 PM
You can also buy an easel for little money if all you want to do is leave it on your kitchen table. On the other hand, you can start painting and then see what you really need as you go along. Fact of the matter is: All you need is paint, brushes, and surface. Try painting before you make a big investment in something you may never use again.

idylbrush
07-20-2007, 06:20 AM
rubber feet can always be added if not supplied. There are new adhesive backed ones that are not a great deal of money and can be removed if need be.

JamesDFarrow
07-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Thanks!

I know there are better ones out there but I just don't have the room. I have a small spare room that I usually have to climb over stuff to get into and that's about the only place I have to paint so it definately has to be a table model.

Anyway, I added it to my wish list at Blick's and will mull it over some more before deciding.

bionicanaconda
07-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Like in Howard's suggestion I have self adhesive silicone feet that do the job well.

stapeliad
07-20-2007, 02:40 PM
I have a Jullian easel (with legs) and I love it. Most of the time I sit it on my drawing table and use it as a table easel, but if I want to use the legs they're there.

Another inexpensive alternative is a regular table easel- they're extremely affordable and fairly sturdy. My regular table easel was very cheap, it's sturdy and it folds flat. As far as space goes, the regular table easel is better than the Jullian, but they're both pretty compact.