PDA

View Full Version : Storm on Ceder Island

CWood
07-19-2007, 12:35 PM
I have recently started in watercolors after not painting since the 80s. Guess that really dates me.:) I worked in oils before but wanted to try the washes and gazes possible with WC. This is from a photo I took this summer on Va. Barrier Islands.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2007/111782-Day_of_the_Storm_small.jpg

PCool
07-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Nice job. Glad to see you pick up a brush:).

Peg

Donald_Smith
08-18-2007, 07:51 AM
Excellent painting expecially considering you haven't painted in 20 years!

You didn't say, and I hope you don't mind a brief C&C, but if you darken the water a little it will do two things: 1) Water is usually darker than the sky, so instead of a large area (sky and water) that is the same value, it will create another value range. When I squint my eyes at your painting, almost the entire painting looks like it is the same value range with some half tones thrown in for variety. 2) With the water darker, it will make the yellow rain slicker stand out. You don't want to go too dark because it is raining and the value range should reduced. Just a couple of things to think about. If you have Photoshop or someother program, you could play with it and see what you think. If you don't, I could show you, and then you could decide if you want to make any changes.

Don