PDA

View Full Version : playing again

cartoonimator91
07-19-2007, 12:20 AM
Hey guys, i'm still playing around with my acrylic set :)
i'm trying to become a tattoo apprentice so i've been drawing
a lot of tattoo flash type designs, and i decided to try to color one
using acrylics, which was pretty hard, but i'm getting a little bit
better each time. the only things i'm not too fond of with this piece are the coins, i didn't know how to make them have that real gold glimmer , and the places where there are still little white specks that i missed while painting http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u248/kamikaze-twinky/acrylicflash.jpg

C_Line
07-19-2007, 12:50 AM
Very stylized.

idylbrush
07-19-2007, 04:42 AM
very graphic and tattoo feel to this one.

Try a bit of sienna and maybe a red or orange along with the yellows to get a more "metal" feel to it. Metal colors can be a bit tricky.

howyadoin
07-19-2007, 04:59 AM
the only things i'm not too fond of with this piece are the coins, i didn't know how to make them have that real gold glimmerA couple options there - you could add a little iridescent gold, or you could apply a wash of orange in parts.

For that matter you could do both, I guess.

jan409
07-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Very good. Good advice above. I also would put a little high lights on the skull. Jan

dreamz
07-19-2007, 10:13 AM
That would make a cool tatt! Besides using a gold pigment which won't give you the brightness I think your looking for an undercoating of red with glazes of yellow over top might help. Red is often used to make gold look golder when painting cars and doing gold leaf, you can also use white to add a sparkle/glint, kind of an asterik* shape with random length legs.

Are the white specks your referring to because of the canvas? if so you can try thinning your paint a little with either water or glazing medium to help it flow better