PDA

View Full Version : Ornate red and gold 'M'

marie_d
07-17-2007, 11:13 AM
This is done on cream card with red gouache and gold gel pen. Size 3.5"x6".
Will be trying something else other than letters next, maybe something celtic.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2007/102905-red_and_gold_2.jpg

The Dabbler
07-18-2007, 09:04 PM
Really enjoyed both of your recent examples. I've just recently become interested in illuminated lettering and I'm trying to dig up as much information on it and calligraphy as possible. I'm also studying Arabic in my spare time. Thanks for sharing your examples and any hints or tips that you have to offer.

marie_d
07-19-2007, 03:20 AM
Thank you for your comments David. I am the same as you, I like to find all the info I can about illuminated lettering. Most of the books I have read came from the local library. I'm only using gold dip brush ink at the moment but would love to try the gold leaf instead of paint, but that will come later after I have practised enough with the basics first.

Best of luck with the arabic, I have learned Middle Egyptian (ancient hieroglyphs) part time at Liverpool Uni when I was doing my Egyptology courses a couple of years ago. The last time in Egypt I was talking to an English couple who had set up home there, they could speak arabic quite well but couldn't read it as they said it was easier to pick up the spoken language but not the written language which is very much harder. Are you going to try arabic calligraphy as well?

The Dabbler
07-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Thank you for your comments .....Are you going to try arabic calligraphy as well?.
I don't think that the two (arabic script and calligraphy) can be separated.
I've been trying to draw the arabic characters using pencil and/or ball point. It's just not the same. Having gone through a couple of tutorials the past few days (Roman), I'm ready to have a go it. It (arabic calligraphy) can't be that different (other than the fact it's written in the opposite direction ).
There is a question concerning your illuminated lettering.......How many times did you have to try before you got it right (no smudges or ink spills):lol:

marie_d
07-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Perseverence and a steady hand:lol: Believe it or not the only ink on this one is the gold gel pen. It was drawn with a fine mechanical pencil and then painted with gouache and the added gold drawn on last.
I have sent you a web site address for arabic calligraphy to check out. See your 'arabic tutorial' post.

Hiraeth
06-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Oh, that is lovely!

What "gold dip brush ink" did you use?

marie_d
06-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Thank you for your comment. The gold work on this one was done with a standard gel pen, when I use gold dip brush ink I use the Winsor and Newton Calligraphy Ink in a small bottle.

InkyEss
08-23-2008, 10:06 AM
That is really beautiful, Marie. :clap: I am also keen to try gold leaf, but not yet... so much to learn before I get to that. :)

quills
08-23-2008, 10:20 AM
I missed this one Marie like Sharon I find it very Beautiful deservers to sit with other letters.