PDA

View Full Version : Water bubble effect with acrylics

matt123
07-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Hey there,
I saw a technique I really like and I would love to try it myself (I'm attaching a picture). It looks like the artist (which I don't have the name) has added some kind of medium to the paint to make it thinner so he was able to mix the colors together like it was paint in water. Anyone have any tips on this is done? Much appreciated !!!!
Matt

timelady
07-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Is this acrylic? I have seen this technique in oils. Also, it's very possible that it isn't a 'trick' and the artist has actually paintstakingly recreated the marbled effect just by painting normally (if there is such a thing ;)). Without a close up or more info it's hard to say really. You could try a flow-release medium and a fluid medium and/or fluid paints.

Tina.

matt123
07-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks Tina !!! It was made in acrylics and the painting was on eBay. When I saw it, the artist was selling 2-3 a week so I'm thinking it wasn't really done "normally" as you put it. Perhaps he was just selling some inventory but who knows. I had to scale down the picture to include in this post but I can email a bigger version if that would help.
Thanks so much !!!
M

Lady Carol
07-17-2007, 11:29 AM
This is acrylic marbling and can be easily achieved with a few supplies. It is very similar to marbling with oil paints, the only difference is that oils naturally float whereas acrylic does not. You have to make your water denser usually with cellulose or other additive so the paint floats. Then dip the paper. Here is an external link (http://www.mceline-artisan.com/article.html)to the process. Here is another link (http://www.marblingpaper.com/Marbling%20Instructions.html).

This looks like an interesting technique and it has piqued my curiosity. I have done oil marbling but not acrylics...I can see that experimentation is in order and a busy saturday afternoon of playing :D

matt123
07-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Wow you girls are fast !! Thanks so much. The painting I saw was actually done on a canvas. Do you think this would be possible? I quickly glanced over the links and it talks mostly about using paper.
M

Ex_Fisherman
07-17-2007, 12:21 PM
This reminds me of a water color pouring technique used by Lian Quan Zhen. You dilute the paint so it flows easily. Let the canvas lay down on a flat surface. Slowly pour the paint onto the canvas and lift up at an angle after your are done pouring. You'll get interesting patterns as the gravity pulls the paint downward. Have fun experimenting to see what works for you.

Mz_Sketch_Pad
07-17-2007, 01:25 PM
i like it - the effect is very nice

Lady Carol
07-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Wow you girls are fast !! Thanks so much. The painting I saw was actually done on a canvas. Do you think this would be possible? I quickly glanced over the links and it talks mostly about using paper.
M
Yes, definitely it can be done on canvas. It is frequently done on fabric and canvas is fabric. I would trywithout the stretcher bars though.

Googling acrylic marbling will bring up fabric often.