PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo Palm

Hillbilly
07-17-2007, 06:28 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2007/111374-Bamboo_Palm.jpg
Hi fellow pastellists, This is one I'd like to share with you, please feel free to comment & critique my humble efforts. It is a study of a Bamboo Palm frond I'd photographed & it was just screaming out to be painted, I couldn't think of a better medium for this subject than soft pastel. It is 1/2 sheet Grey Colourfix paperdone with Art Spectrum & Rembrandt pastels with a touch of Schminke white for the strong light reflections. It has a mate in a similar style which I may post at a later time. Let's know what you think, Bill

flyfisherflyfisher1
07-17-2007, 07:50 AM
Great light. Nice composition. Photo Realism...You scored!

NickyW
07-17-2007, 08:04 AM
You certainly did score too. This absolutely gorgeous Bill, it just has that lovely feeling about it, so life like, even right down to the little holes in the leaves..I really love it..well done.

Constellation
07-17-2007, 08:53 AM
Bill..... This is terrific! I love the play of light and the blue in the shadows and the veining in the leaves.... it's wonderful. Donna R.

M Douglas
07-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Beautiful, well done.

Melodie

*Violet*
07-17-2007, 11:16 AM
your *humble effort* is fantabulous !! ... that palm frond is to die for ... exceptional ... i like the tree trunk too with its incorporation of darks ... since you did ask for c&c though, the woodland floor, in my mind could have more darks incorporated into it to both depict volume in it and provide greater contrast with the leaf such as the bark achieves ... awwww, heck ... i find a picture speaks volumes so here's what i mean ....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2007/46454-a_palm.jpg

Mikki Petersen
07-17-2007, 02:22 PM
I would not change anything about this lovely painting. I was expecting a tree study and instead found a beautiful and sensitive painting. The background is subtle but full of necessary information. Great work!

Mikki

Piper Ballou
07-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Wonderful, I love the tenderness of the light that appears throughout the leaves...
piper

Donna T
07-17-2007, 03:24 PM
Wow... light shining on the leaves and light shining through the leaves. Beautiful!

Donna T

prestonsega
07-17-2007, 06:13 PM
perfect

Hillbilly
07-18-2007, 12:58 AM
Wow, I'm blown away, I was happy with it myself, but I take your point about the forest floor, this one is now framed, so I'll keep it in mind for later paintings (so much to learn, so little memory retention) I think painting is all about light & the way it plays on subjects so I try, whenever I can, to capture dramatic light effects. Many thanks for all your input, Bill

Pabs
07-18-2007, 08:02 AM
Wow Bill, that light coming through the leaves is just sensational. And the rest aint bad either!!!
Regards,
Pabs

Snowbound
07-18-2007, 08:16 AM
Aw, gee, I wish I could do that! I love the look of sunlight playing on and through leaves-- the mix of light and shadow and the way they make green become so many different colors and shapes. You've done that so well. I actually prefer your forest floor, but think it might have been nice with a patch of light here or there. But that, as with all things, is a personal issue. This is your painting, and it is lovely and striking.

Dayle Ann

*Marina*
07-18-2007, 08:18 AM
:clap: :thumbsup: :clap: Lovely light on the leaf.

K Taylor-Green
07-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Very impressive. I LOVE the light!

Hillbilly
07-18-2007, 10:04 AM
You're all far too kind here, if this keeps up I'll be flat-out getting my hat to fit back on my head. Seriously thanks for the encouraging words, this is only about my 6th pastel,(but I've been painting in W/colours for 7 years) so I guess even though the two are diametrically opposite, stuff learned in one medium still applies in the others. Thanks again Bill

OzieRTgal
08-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Hi Bill,
I like both this one and the fern. you have done such good job getting the play of light with both of them. I can see why you just had to "paint" these. :) Perhaps the reason the fern was chosen over this one is because it has more sense of movement in it with the 's' like flow of the stem of the leaf. ? I think they are both excellent! :thumbsup: Pastels really lend themselves both to bright intense colours and soft gentle tones don't they?
Grace

Hillbilly
08-06-2007, 04:34 AM
Thanks Grace, I agree with your thoughts on pastels, they have a WOW factor that seems sadly lacking in my attempts at Watercolour. In the original reference photo I took, the fern frond was straight, but a thumbnail sketch or two convinced me to try a lazy "S" shape, it seemed to make it appear as though it was unfurling & a far more interesting design element to boot. thanks for the comments. Bill

paul444
08-06-2007, 08:11 AM
Bill
A great painting, very realistic.