PDA

View Full Version : How to become a millionaire...

alva
05-17-2002, 02:35 PM
...or at least revolutionize oil painting. Does anyone know of a turp substitute that has no odor and is not toxic? I'm looking for stuff that is beyond the 'norm', not stuff already tried. thanks, alva

ArtistEnigma
05-17-2002, 07:42 PM
I use unleaded gasoline by candle light myself. I enjoy the fumes plus the more I work around it the more my imagination takes flight!

cobalt fingers
05-21-2002, 04:53 PM
I have found one true "odorless" paint thinner; Klein -strip...gamblins may work too.

Wayne Gaudon
05-21-2002, 05:12 PM
Turpenoid Natural is not odorless .. smells like orange but as per the label, it is non-hazardous and I've even used it on my 3 year old gradddaughter's arms without any irritation to her .. she was trying to bring me one of my paintings .. unfortuantely, I had just finished it so needless to say, she was a mess.

artbabe21
05-23-2002, 06:33 PM
Wayne, next time you or your sweet grandaughter gets oil paint on your skin, use baby oil!! I have used this for years to remove paint w/o putting that gross stuff on my skin. It sort of slides the paint right off like magic and you are left with nice smelling skin!
Cathleen~
btw, I learned this from 2 women who were house painters, they painted home exteriors, I mean the houses themslves, not OF the houses!;)

Wayne Gaudon
05-23-2002, 06:44 PM
I'll remember that. Guess it's to the drug store to get some form my medicine cabinet.
But, this stuff isn't awful .. it's good stuff .. smells good to.

artbabe21
05-23-2002, 07:05 PM
OK, it may be better than some turps----------but it's still a chemical :evil: on your skin when you could have baby lotion!
Cathleen~:D

Wayne Gaudon
05-23-2002, 08:53 PM
I'm going to the store now >> geeze Pres .. I'll have to take away your VP so you have more work to do and less time to harrass me. go to pein air and check out my Plein Air .. what a mess .. what a day .. but all in all it was fun. Talk at you over there.

LOL

Later,

artbabe21
05-28-2002, 03:26 PM
Wayne, you are TOO funny!!!!!!!!! OK, as Pres. being bossy isn't
isn't in my job description so I'll back off here but just trying to keep you & your grandaughter smooth and soft!! Btw, I am going to try yours for cleaning brushes. I am just making yet another paint order at ASW as their paint sale ends this Friday! Maybe I won't be so stingy w/paint if I get a lot of it!!
Cathleen~:o

Wayne Gaudon
05-28-2002, 07:56 PM
You do that .. send me your email address .. I forgot to put it in my address book. Saw my little honey last evening .. she almost broke my neck giving me a big hug .. she knows a good thing :D

cnfwriter
05-28-2002, 11:04 PM
I've seen this topic kicked around on a lot of boards and have always read all comments with interest.

As a result, I've fallen into the camp that feels "odorless" ain't necessarily a good thing. Can't tell how dense the air is getting with the stuff. Odorless means cutting off one of the body's warning mechanisms.

I've used Turpenoid Natural and found it to be every bit as strong and headache-inducing as turpentine. I've also read that turpentine is not necessarily toxic unless you douse most of your body with it.

As a turpentine user, I've found that several things help:

1) crack a window
2) get a tall jar that allows you to put your brushes in and put a lid on
3) keep a lid on all containers with turpentine; only open long enough to get what you need, then reclose
4) keep turpentined rags in a container or plastic bag.

I do this and am able to paint w/ turpentine in a small corner of our family room with minimal impact.

Just my 2 cents, but I accept change. :)