View Full Version : Big Tree

Old Tex
07-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Another one from the refs taken a couple of weeks ago C&C Welcome

Gouache 8x10
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2007/100938-Big_Tree.jpg

RedEquus
07-18-2007, 07:43 AM
Very nice colors and I love how you paint your trees.

Janice

Old Tex
07-18-2007, 01:06 PM
Thanks, Janice.

meglyman
07-25-2007, 07:53 AM
Very serene, nice use of blues. The atmospheric effects are cool. Are the background trees done with transparent washes?

friesin
07-25-2007, 08:36 AM
I like your leaves !!!

However-- shouldn't there be something on the right side ?

Old Tex
07-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Very serene, nice use of blues. The atmospheric effects are cool. Are the background trees done with transparent washes?

Yes, and I keep trying to NOT do it that way, but it just seems to work. Problem is, if I need to touch up around a tree, I can't match the wash! Thanks, Meg.

Old Tex
07-25-2007, 09:02 PM
I like your leaves !!!

However-- shouldn't there be something on the right side ?

Thanks. I thought about it, but decided to let the composition stand as it iis, and decided I was comfortable with it. I appreciate the observation, though.

Brad121
09-15-2007, 05:54 AM
Excellent colour...

Brad

Andi Rebirth
09-15-2007, 06:45 AM
Tex, Although I don't do water colors or gouage anymore, I always look at your posts because I love how simply you handle your subject. Less is more in your paintings. I love that I can concentrate on color balance and mood in your paintings. Wonderful. Andi

Old Tex
09-15-2007, 08:11 AM
Thanks, Brad!

Old Tex
09-15-2007, 08:28 AM
I always look at your posts because I love how simply you handle your subject. Less is more in your paintings. I love that I can concentrate on color balance and mood in your paintings. Wonderful. Andi

Andi, what a very nice compliment! I've found painting to be a real departure (and great challenge) from the detailed renderings I used to do in pencil and pen and ink. And the use of color in masses rather than in details has presented another challenge. You would think it would be easier, but it doesn't seem to be so. As I progress, I seem to be simplifying more, concentrating on learning more about composition, color, light, and mood.

I study a lot of paintings, and read a lot about the principles, but when I start painting, as long as I stay focused on what drew me to the scene to begin with, I often find that the picture starts telling me what it wants to look like, and I follow my instincts. It doesn't always work, but I kind of figure if the painting is saying something to ME, then maybe it will say something to others as well.

Your comments tell me I'm moving in the right direction, and are a tremendous inspiration for me to keep at it. Thank you so much.