PDA

View Full Version : what do i do with this loose canvas

cardpart
07-15-2007, 01:20 AM
I have a sheet of primed, unmounted canvas that I plan on throwing some stuff on, maybe sewing other parts on, maybe cutting parts off. I'll be working primarily with heavy textures and acrylic paint, but I have little idea how I'll be hanging it. I'm thinking curtain-style, but that's a little weird.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing, or any good solutions that don't involve stretching? I'm open to some out-there ideas.

:thumbsup:

idylbrush
07-15-2007, 07:14 AM
Hanging it from a bamboo rod is certainly viable or even a wooden dowel. I think I would finish the edge with a fold over and glue or heat set material to give it a finish if that is what you desire. There are so many possibilites it is amazing. You can slit the canvas and whip stitch the ends of the cuts and thread a rod through, you can fray the edges, you can shred sections. You can do about whatever you can or want and it is still viable.

You could batton mount it as well where you roll the canvas around a piece of wood and tack it to the back edge and use angle brackets to attach it to a wall not unlike a valance. Very effective and it can hold the entire piece off the surface to create a floating sensation.

Just a thought.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2007/36241-floatmountcanvas.jpg

Paulafv
07-15-2007, 01:34 PM
You could use it as a straight curtain following Howard's directions for using a dowel top and bottom. I replaced a frequently used closet door with a blue plaid table cloth, threaded on a 1/2" dowel and covered the two ends with brass nuts glued on and covered with a shiny penny at each end. Used coffee cup hooks.
Works fine and looks good.

You could also glue sections onto any hard board, bureau draw fronts, cabinet doors, free standing hard board and paint your image. Don't forget crafty things such as wooden boxes or photo boxes, endless ideas. You didn't mention what size your loose canvas is. You might consider a floor cloth if the size is appropriate. Loads of layers of sealant keep it easy to clean. Have fun.

cardpart
07-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Howard, that diagram was pretty helpful. I don't know what kind of "flowing sensation" I would get since the piece is so thick... I'll most probably be doing the dowel thing.

cardpart
07-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Paulafv, the canvas is about 2.5x5ft. I'll figure out something, it'll be good times. Thanks!