PDA

View Full Version : Banyon Forest - WIP

C_Line
07-15-2007, 01:09 AM
I've had a 24" x 48" piece of MDF for a few months that I got back out tonight. I had started a painting based on another photo I took at the Ringling Museum grounds in Sarasota, FL. The very large Banyon tree was surround by beautiful ferns. I didn't get far last time, so tonight, I applied another layer of gesso and then did large blocks of color. Then experimenting, I tore strips of brown paper bag and adhered them to the foreground for textural interest for the ferns.

This is as far as after about 4 hours of painting tonight. There's extra light at the top as that's my lamp shining down.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2007/94054-Banyon_7-14-07_small.JPG

I'll try to work on it again tomorrow when I have better lighting.

Here's the actual photo from which this painting was produced. I rather liked cropping it into a long horizontal view.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2007/94054-Banyon_photo2.jpg

SunsetSue
07-15-2007, 04:28 AM
This is interesting Celeste. I like it so far and I will check back to see how you develop this.

laudesan
07-15-2007, 08:22 AM
Wow Celeste this is gonna look so awesome!!

idcrisis55
07-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Experimenting by using a brown paper bag for textural effects is something different. I am watching with interest how you complete this. Hope you will take some closeup photos so we can see those textures. :)

C_Line
07-15-2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks girls. I will take some closeups. It was so late last night when I took this one that I couldn't really get a very good shot. I hope to paint later today and take some photos in good light.

jan409
07-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Celeste; This is coming along great. I love the colors and the lights and darks are working to make it pop. I am anxious to see how it comes out. Jan

Linee
07-15-2007, 10:04 AM
I'm liking this, Celeste. That's cool about the brown paper.

gaykir
07-15-2007, 04:23 PM
I'll bet this is quite dramatic! I am really going to enjoy this one.

C_Line
07-15-2007, 05:47 PM
Hi Jan, Linda and Gayle...I'm off to paint now...thanks for commenting.

C_Line
07-15-2007, 09:40 PM
This one's getting rather boring and tiresome to me...doesn't seem to quite have any spark. Maybe trying to force a focal point isn't working. Anyway, here's where it is tonight after painting a little while. And here's a close up for some of the texture.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2007/94054-Banyon_7-15-07_small.JPG

Texture Detail:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2007/94054-Banyon_Detail_small.JPG

Decided to set it aside and start on the Different Strokes project since we're nearing the back stretch! :lol: :lol: :lol:

gurleygirl
07-15-2007, 11:33 PM
I really like this. I think the texture is cool!!
Tracey

Andun
07-16-2007, 08:19 AM
Yea...I know what you mean about a painting sometimes getting boring.It has happened to me too Celeste but I think this one can be saved.If the original ref doesn't have a great focal point invent one.:) How about putting a bird or something in there? BTW I like what you have so far.It is very nice!

idcrisis55
07-16-2007, 09:03 AM
You have some lovely work going on in this one. Good suggestions from Tony too. You might think about the composition a bit, maybe break up or add variation to the fern row with something, such as more of a banyon tree trunk. Just thoughts. :)

C_Line
07-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Well, this one found its way to the garage again. It may get resurrected sometime, maybe not...I just don't want to invest anymore paint or creative energies on this right now as it's already beginning to be overworked. I'm just glad it was mdf and not canvas!

Started my Different Strokes project last night.

Bobbo
07-16-2007, 07:41 PM
sometimes it is good to put something away
and have a look later,through different eyes
it is good to experiment,it equals growth...
still like it though!

Bobbo
07-16-2007, 07:54 PM
sometimes it is good to put something away
and have a look later,through different eyes
it is good to experiment,it equals growth...
still like it though!

C_Line
07-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks...you're right on all counts.

rmc
07-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Very interestin experimenting Celeste - it's always invigorating to try something new and find out what works!!!!

I really think you have an amazing thing going in your a alla prima versions - the first version was fantastic.

Now I am shooting from the hip here but I just wonder whether dulling some of the colour intensity rather then increasing the saturation would establish a focal point, i.e. neutralising the greens, etc

Having said that I am simply inspired by your ability to see colour - thanks for the original photo which shows your talent superbly!!!

C_Line
07-17-2007, 06:47 PM
Thanks Ruth. It looks much better in the garage and we probably have the only painting of a Banyon w/something like ferns in any of the garages in the neighborhood! LOL

It's experiments like this that reveal how impatient I really can be; however, when the inspiration switch abruptly turned off the other night, I knew it was time to move on. I sure hope I'm not the only one who experiences this when paintings from time to time. I just don't like it when they come in pairs or triplets to mention it.

Ah, but I have brand new canvases today to mark a clean slate.