PDA

View Full Version : Painting in Tucson-What do I need?

meowmeow
07-14-2007, 08:42 AM
We will be going to Tucson to stay with friends for a couple of days in early December. Before I said a word, my husband said, "Gee...you might not have the right palette for that!" :D He said to go ahead and find what I need. I want to be able to get a set which I can put in my suitcase. I know Terry Ludwig has a Southwest Canyon and a Southwest Landscape. Great American has something similar. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've never been there so don't really have a clue.

Thanks!

Sandy

Kathryn Wilson
07-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Sandy, it depends on how soft you want your pastels. I would recommend Girault's Canyon/Southwest set. They are mid-range in softness, smallish in shape, they are fitted into a nice neat box which is not too large with foam. A good set to travel with.

Tuscon in December will be a great time to visit!

meowmeow
07-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Thanks Kat. I didn't think of Giraults. I do like them as well. I can't seem to find the canyon set though. I'll have to poke around.
I have gotten spoiled using Terry's since I got them at his class.

Sandy

Kathryn Wilson
07-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Here ya go:

http://www.dakotapastels.com/soft_girault.shtml

It is the 50 stick Canyon color set half-way down the page.

Even better, as you can see the colors in each set:

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-supply-stores/online/4384

artist_pw
07-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Hi:

You might want to make sure you have enough turquoise colors because that is one difference in the sky coloring - if you get a southwest set of pastels, you'll probably get at least a few of them. Anita Louise West was here about a month ago from Santa Fe, and she mentioned their skies are generally more turquoise, and our midwest sky was pinker. I saw the Girault sets on sale un 8/30/07 at Jerry's Artarama for 54.99, and Jerry's has been sending me discounts lately, like %20 off a total order, or $10 off, etc, so if you want to order and don't have a discount like this, let me know, and I'll see if I have an email with a discount that might help you. (I used a coupon at ASW for %20 off a total order a few weeks ago, and got Sennelier open stock pastels for $1.59! each)

Have a lot of fun and please take some good reference photos and post them.

Tucson is beautiful and if you get a chance, drive down a little south almost to the Mexico border around the area of Patagonia, and the mountains there are really beautiful. I read after a visit there those mountains were so scenic, they were often used as a backdrop for western films. There's also a 'sky island', the Ramsey Canyon Preserve area has more species of hummingbirds than any other spot in the continuous states, but none of these beauties will probably be there in December.

Hope this helps, and have fun planning your trip!

Deborah Secor
07-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Wow--hope you have a lot of fun there, Sandy! December is a good time to go. :D I sure wouldn't want to be there now...

I also have a southwest set of Great American colors I chose for the area, which I'm sure would do well for Tucson.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2007/23609-GA_39-color_set.JPG
This is the 39-color set. I've chosen a lot of oranges and purples for the undertones in the area, along with a range of turquoises and greens. If you decide on these you have to stipulate that you want my selection of colors, BTW, as the GA southwest is another set of colors.

Deborah

meowmeow
07-14-2007, 04:29 PM
You guys are great! Fortunately I have time to figure this out.

That sets looks wonderful, Deborah! My idea is that whatever I chose, that will be all I take...I suppose that is the whole concept.

Thanks for the offer, Paula. I do get coupons on occasion but it's always nice to have someone offer to help!

Too many to chose from....too little time...well...always too many pastels...

Sandy