PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell Scratchboard

Thumper
05-16-2002, 11:06 PM
Well, here's something I actually don't like doing- copying another artist verbatum. . . if I can't work from life I always take my own pictures. However, becuase I am under the instruction of an all-powerful teacher, I follow orders and do what I'm told. . . So here's my all time favorite artist (Rockwell) and my recreation of his oil painting, "Boy Lifting Weights"
Joc

inkskin
05-25-2002, 11:25 AM
Hey!
I just love doing scratchboard, I just started myself. This looks really good. I am just a little confuused by the space to the left of his right foot. Seems a liitle vague. You have really captured great character here too.What kind of scratchboard are you using?Do you have more to show?
Heather

Thumper
05-25-2002, 03:28 PM
I'm confused by what you are confused about in the space to the left of the right foot ?? ;) Let's see, I'm actually using Clayboard's scratchboard, and it makes a world of difference from the paper scratchboard and I highly recommend it. The paper ones tear incredibly easily and it takes away from the effect of the piece. Let's see- I wonder if you're talking about that white space?? Rockwell often places his paintings in front of a pure white background, I don't know how familiar you are with his work. . .

Can't wait to see your scratchboards, and good luck :)
Joc

Oh- if you 'botch' something, try using india ink to paint back over it then you can scratch that off again (scratchboards are india ink covered white chalk) which is why it will work. Sometimes the color of the blacks don't match up perfectly, but it's always worth a try.

inkskin
05-25-2002, 10:36 PM
hey there:)

You are so right about the paper verses the hard clayboard-I learned the hard way on some intricate detailing. I knew I should have stopped before I got too far, but pressed on anyway. Bad idea.

Sorry about the confusion. I thought that the white space on the left side of the picture was catching my eye,and seemed a little unclear, the space between the guy and the background.I have seen a few pictures in books with some paintings by Norman Rockwell, but I don't really remember this painting.I love it.

I really like how it is textured and the value changes.How long did it take you to do this one?

Heather

Oh, I wanted to ask you what you use to take away a lot of ink at a time-like in the background. do you seal it when you are finished?

Thumper
05-26-2002, 12:50 AM
Although I've heard about 'sealing' I have yet to do so, though it sounds like a good idea to keep it from yellowing. As to how do I remove all that black, I use my best friend, Steel Wool. It's perfect, and although it can be kind of messy, it works in no time, and if you use it lightly it gives you a nice greyish area- and rough enough you've got pure, smooth white. Plus it's pretty cheap which is always a plus.
Joc
Oh yes- this took me, hmm- about a week, most likely I worked on it a little every night during the week then did most of it over the weekend.

sassybird
05-26-2002, 04:16 PM
Thumper, I understand your adversion to copying other peoples work, but in school a lot of teachers have you do it to learn technique etc.... Rockwell is one of my favorites too. He captured life in American so well during that era. You did a great job on this. I haven't tried scratchboard in years, more than I care to think about :D , but if I decide to I will get the clay.