PDA

View Full Version : Cherries in Creamer: a wip ...

*Violet*
07-13-2007, 11:18 PM
here i go out on a limb trying something for the first time ... :eek: ... the grisaille method or approach to painting following information on maverick's threads and using dianna ponting's reference photo of cherries in a creamer ... i'm also really challenging myself by altering the reference to include drapery ... making things *real difficult* for myself, aren't i? ... but in the end, if it's just the drapery that doesn't work out right, perhaps i'll change that aspect of the painting ... or if the whole exercise isn't what i hope for, i'll just gesso it over and paint something else on it !! ... at least i'll have tried this out ... it's on (i believe, as it was created some 25 years ago!! while taking a course) masonite prepared front and back with many sanded layers of gesso ... i've *saved it* ... :lol: ... all these years and only now am i daring to paint on it ...

i've done the sketch (tracing a computer-produced outline) and have painted the initial sepia stage and already i think i've failed !! ... :lol: ... i see an error in the cherries in the creamer ... there's only two in there and i gathered there were three so will correct that as i go along ... and i likely went a little heavy on the sepia !! ... but i can still see the outline so i'll trudge along experimenting ... and since i've altered the table i'll also have to examine how to address it in the reflection on the creamer and on the cherry on the table, but will get to that later as i proceed ... wish me luck!! ... :) ... and of course any and all advice is always appreciated !! ... let me know of the things i'm missing ... but all in all, i don't expect i'll progress quickly on this ... :o ... many thanks for just looking even ... :) ... here is step one and step two ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2007/46454-cherries_wip_1_235x283.JPG and http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2007/46454-cherries_wip_2_235x281.JPG

i hope to get to this sunday as i'll be away tomorrow ... so don't hold your breath !! ... :lol::lol: ...

C_Line
07-13-2007, 11:35 PM
I'll be watching!

Lady Carol
07-14-2007, 09:05 AM
I'll be here too :D

jan409
07-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Can't wait to see more. Jan

SunsetSue
07-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Looks like you are off to a good start. Good luck and keep us posted as you progress.

idcrisis55
07-14-2007, 03:09 PM
I'm pulling up a chair too. :)

Paulafv
07-14-2007, 08:29 PM
Good for you! Cheers!

LavenderFrost
07-15-2007, 08:20 PM
I never get tired of seeing that picture painted. I don't think you went to heavy on the first layer, that is your mid-tone after all. I did learn when trying this method that the outline has to be really dark.

You're very brave to alter the picture, especially with reflections involved.

laudesan
07-15-2007, 09:57 PM
pulling up my chair

*Violet*
07-15-2007, 10:12 PM
:eek: ... so many watching !! ... this is scary !! ... :lol: .... :wave: i didn't get back into town yesterday as planned and only got back a short time ago so didn't get to work on it yet today and i might not since i'm exhausted ... i know i'll feel outside of the box as i do it and it's scary ... just gotta take that next step and then one at a time thereafter ... right? ... i keep telling myself this ... :) ... thanks, all ... for taking an interest in this ... and helping me out too, i hope ... i want to keep on the right track ... see you soon with a little more done ....

Lady Carol
07-15-2007, 10:49 PM
:lol: don't be afraid.....:D

*Violet*
07-18-2007, 02:54 AM
ok .... posting again finally !!.... here's where i'm at ... ... i've put my value step next to the reference and boy, do i notice where i'm off ... :eek: ... what i see for starters is the front edge of the rim needs to be realigned all the way to the spout ... the cherry's shadow should be more narrow ... and the creamer handle should be in more shadow ... and there's probably much more that should be tweaked/worked over .... i was getting real tired and sloppy/careless toward the end .... wasn't looking at the ref enough !!! ... :rolleyes: .... anyways ... how'd i do? ... and what should i do next? ... drapery look too phony? ... suggestions if so? ... any and all advice will be welcomed !!! ... :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2007/46454-Cherries_wip_2_w_ref.jpg

LavenderFrost
07-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Looking good.

gurleygirl
07-19-2007, 12:07 PM
This is looking FANTASTIC!!!
Tracey

Lady Carol
07-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Very nice progress. And I think you have critiqued yourself very well.

*Violet*
07-19-2007, 04:12 PM
thank you very much lavenderfrost, tracey, and carol !! ... i'm still waffling on the drapery tho ... a r/t friend and art major thinks it looks too fake and i should address it now rather than later ... if i were to just have the fabric plainly fall over the edge without trying to be fancy about it would it look ok? ... or is there another approach i should take? ....

laudesan
07-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Is the drapery from your imagination?? If so get a piece of cloth and drape it over the edge of your table and check out the fold lines........:)

In the ref pic as well as the painting, that stalk on the cherry in the jug looks to me like a straw sticking out of it.

I hope you can shade it better when you get that far to look like a stalk..:)

C_Line
07-19-2007, 09:52 PM
I agree with Carol. Very nice Violet, and I think you've seen anything that might be adjusted. I like the fabric very much.

valchina612
07-19-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm watching this with great interest, and looking very forward to your next update. :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

*Violet*
07-19-2007, 11:57 PM
jj, yes ... i think that stem looks a bit odd to ... will try to address that ... thx ... and no ... i did exactly that ... used a white t-shirt, and yeah the folds were like that but when i painted, the set was taken down and i did some of the shadows from memory and fudged a bunch ... perhaps a sturdier fabric might have made better folds ...

thank you very much, celeste ! ... *yikes* ... you like the fabric? ... this is getting more difficult all the time ... deciding what to do about it ...:lol: ...

couldn't get into working on it this evening ... felt more like doing pouty dolls !! ... :lol: ... maybe i'm procrastinating?? ... *yep* ... :lol:

val ... many thx for your interest ... :) ... next update might be a while tho as i ponder things !! ... :)

debsn2paintn
07-20-2007, 01:08 AM
Looks great so far!

Andun
07-20-2007, 01:41 AM
That really came out beautifuly.I have yet to make a convincing metal painting so my hat is off to you!!!:)

*Violet*
07-22-2007, 01:25 AM
thank you deb!

and thank you goo anthony! ... hang onto that hat ... i'm not done yet !! ... :)

next step coming up ....

*Violet*
07-22-2007, 01:30 AM
here's how far i've gotten ... not quite finished the next step ... it's supposed to be all shades of gray i believe ... i did the darkest vaue and the lightest value after making corrections here and there ... and then i made more corrections here and there ... redid the drapery and don't know if it's an improvement or not ... likely will wind up doing more fiddling with it before all's said and done ... jump in with any suggestions to help this process out anyone !! ... :) ... i'm winging it and just hope i'm doing ok ... getting the middle values is gonna be harder tho ... ... anyway ...here's what i started with ... and where i am ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2007/46454-Cherries_wip_2_and_3_sm.jpg

*Violet*
07-22-2007, 01:48 AM
and what the heck ... here's my latest with the ref ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2007/46454-Cherries_wip_3_w_ref.jpg

gray scales between the black and white yet to come ....

laudesan
07-22-2007, 04:28 AM
I love that cloth now and I love what you have done so far!!

Lady Carol
07-22-2007, 09:55 AM
I think you are doing terrifically well. The middle values will come out OK. Have some confidence, girl. ;)

gaykir
07-22-2007, 10:33 AM
I just love the way you are handling the fabric!! This is wonderful!

LavenderFrost
07-22-2007, 10:34 AM
Wonderful work, keep it up!

*Violet*
07-22-2007, 02:40 PM
thank you so much everyone !! ... you are such confidence boosters !!!!!!:heart: :heart: :heart:

Alison2
07-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Violet this is fascinating!

Thanks so much for sharing the process - you're doing great and I'm watching and learning!

Alison2:wave:

*Violet*
07-29-2007, 02:38 AM
many thanks alison2 ... :) .... here's stage 4 ...

*Violet*
07-29-2007, 02:48 AM
hi everyone following this :wave: .... next installment *whew* .... *wiping brow* ... :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/46454-cherries_wip_4_3336x401.JPG

with the previous stage ...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/46454-Cherries_wip_3_and_4_sm.jpg

with the reference ....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/46454-Cherries_wip_4_w_ref_sm.jpg

*whew* .... how's it coming along ? ... are my mid values to dark ? ... are there enough values ?? .... anything that i should address before glazing ? .... should it be more *finished* ? ... any and all C & C are always welcomed !! ... :):):)

Goewyn
07-29-2007, 03:55 AM
Wow, this is turning out beautifully, Violet! Looking forward to seeing it continue! :)

-- Linda

Andun
07-29-2007, 05:11 AM
The hat is still off Violet:) That is looking stunning.I just gotta keep trying to do a metal.

Lady Carol
07-29-2007, 09:17 AM
this is looking fabulous Violet. Very impressive indeed. :clap: :clap:

You get clappies even though it isn't finished.

*Violet*
07-29-2007, 03:15 PM
linda ... anthony ... carol ... thank you sooo much for the kudos !! :) ... and many thanks for following this ....

i'm hoping anyone with experience in painting grisailles will jump in with suggestions and or advice or crits too, tho !! ... :music: :angel: :music: ...

i understand from reading only that glazes are a mixture of a premixed colour and glazing medium at 1:1 and that is supposed to be applied thinly as numerous layers are intended to be added to achieve an end result ... i imagine i avoid the absolute white spots altogether ... use the glaze otherwise to paint the *body* colour of each object over its whole body including the darks and excepting the areas where another colour exists on the body ... is that about right? ... or is there other instructions i should consider ....

and about the fabric ... now that i've *painted myself into a corner* :lol: with *it being there* ... for simplicity's sake i should have had a plain table in retrospect ... should a colour be incorporated into it? ... if so, which? ... if not, is it finished? ...

i know ... so many questions ... so much uncertainty ... i can't help it ... this is all so very new to me and this seems like a *serious* undertaking rather than creative painting !! ... :lol: ...

Mary Brigid
07-29-2007, 06:39 PM
Wow Violet you are really producing a stunning work here..... And as generous as ever with sharing your knowledge....
congratulations on this work... will be back to the progress
Mary Brigid

SunsetSue
07-29-2007, 07:10 PM
This is absolutely wonderful Violet. It is so great to see your progress. I am amazed at your ability to capture the shine.

madrigle
07-29-2007, 07:26 PM
whoa! really looking forward to seeing more of this.

*Violet*
07-29-2007, 07:51 PM
thank you so much mary for the lovely words ...:)

thank you too, sue ... the shine was the easy part !! ... :) ... leave it white and paint the values around it ...

and for anthony ... i think painting metal is all about having that shine area and following the shapes of values around it not thinking of metal but of shapes ... and values ... and keeping lines straight or smooth if rounded ... it *winds up* looking metal !! ... :)

madrigle, welcome ... :wave:

*Violet*
07-29-2007, 07:52 PM
i'm going to go off now and paint over those folds and try and figure out how to make the fabric better ......................

LavenderFrost
07-30-2007, 11:43 AM
I wish I could give advice on glazing, but I'm still figuring it out myself. Your underpainting looks really good, though. For the fabric, I would go with a cream colour.

Lady Carol
07-30-2007, 01:52 PM
i understand from reading only that glazes are a mixture of a premixed colour and glazing medium at 1:1 and that is supposed to be applied thinly as numerous layers are intended to be added to achieve an end result ... i imagine i avoid the absolute white spots altogether ... use the glaze otherwise to paint the *body* colour of each object over its whole body including the darks and excepting the areas where another colour exists on the body ... is that about right? ... or is there other instructions i should consider ....
I wouldn't say it is a 1:1 ratio. It can be any ratio really. I use glazing medium like water somethimes - well almost all the time. The goal of glazing is to have some of the underneath colour show through the top colour thus it is a way of thinning out the colour a lot without diluting the binder too much. You can add white spots but do it at the very end and consider those to be the jewels in the painting. You do not want too many.

*Violet*
07-30-2007, 04:30 PM
I wish I could give advice on glazing, but I'm still figuring it out myself. Your underpainting looks really good, though. For the fabric, I would go with a cream colour.

wow .... of all the colours, i was thinking that cream would be probably the best too !! ... not being white ... not being a colour to clash with others ... being warm ... i'm so happy that you said that !! ... i respect your instincts as you do marvelous work ...

I wouldn't say it is a 1:1 ratio. It can be any ratio really. I use glazing medium like water somethimes - well almost all the time. The goal of glazing is to have some of the underneath colour show through the top colour thus it is a way of thinning out the colour a lot without diluting the binder too much. You can add white spots but do it at the very end and consider those to be the jewels in the painting. You do not want too many.

not 1:1 eh? ... i thought i'd read that somewhere ... but it's much better to hear what artists actually *do* use and find successful ... thank you!! ... i would have wanted to use more glaze thinking that would be the way to get the colour thin enough to be transparent and wondered how to achieve it otherwise thinking that adding water would probably mess up the glazing quality .... now i'll be more comfortable being more experimental ... i'll have less constraints to work within !! .... thank you so much !! ... gotta love this place ... :) :heart:

idcrisis55
07-30-2007, 04:45 PM
I hve enjoyed your WIP very much, Violet. I pop in to see how you are doing even though I don't always comment. You are doing terrific work and know the finish will be a truly fine one.

Ann

HOllyLL
07-30-2007, 04:48 PM
I also have enjoyed watching your WIP, your own (and others) critiques..and I've learned a lot! thank you for sharing..it came out SO nicely!

*Violet*
07-30-2007, 06:37 PM
at the risk of boring you with my *tweaking* ... :lol: ... i've redone the fabric and i'm *hoping* it looks ok ... i know it's not perfect ... :) ... i do see some areas to touch up a tad yet ... :rolleyes: ... but again, i'm hoping this is an improvement ... how about a vote?? .. :LOL: ... keep it? .... improve it? ... paint over it and have a simple plain fabric fall and chalk it up to an effort anyway? ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2007/46454-cherries_wip_4_new_sm_.JPG

i should never have bothered with adding fabric !!! :o

laudesan
07-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Keep it!!!! :)

Lady Carol
07-30-2007, 10:13 PM
The fabric is excellent.

madrigle
07-31-2007, 01:56 AM
yeah, looks great

Jimmy57
07-31-2007, 02:41 AM
Excellent painting.

Mary Brigid
07-31-2007, 07:21 AM
Oh keep it Violet... It is excellent
Mary Brigid

MadMaddy
07-31-2007, 09:43 AM
Definitely keep it. I have been watching this as it goes and I am loving it. The fabric is wonderful and I appreciate the improvement of that part especially as you have progressed.

C_Line
07-31-2007, 10:14 AM
Violet, this is simply marvelous. The fabric is fine, very nice. While I don't typically paint in a photo-realistic fashion as you've achieved here, I think the same principle applies - if everyone shouts, nobody listens. In other words, your focal point is that spectacular group of metal, the reflections, the shadows, that front cherry and where the reflection meets it. So, I see the fabric as secondary and could be nice a soft with values within it soft to add to the sublety.

As to glazing. I don't think I've ever done 1:1. Usually mine is more medium, maybe 2:1 or even 3:1, but no exact science. Practice on a separate piece of paper or canvas. As has already been said, with glazing, transparency is the key. The more medium, the more transparent. You can add some water too, but I don't usually add too much water. I also try to stick with colors that are more transparent by nature when glazing, like sap green and napthol red for instance. As to white, definitely stick to adding the titanium white highlight at the very end. As you know, any time you mix titanium white with a color to achieve a tint, you increase its opacity since t.w. is extremely opaque. When glazing I've found that that tends to dull the effect.

Bravo for a masterfully achieved painting!

*Violet*
07-31-2007, 10:37 AM
:( ... don't shoot me .... :( ... i do that to myself enough .... i painted it out :eek: .... the more i looked at it, the more unhappy i was with it ... i'm my own worst critic ... what i saw was fabric that would look better with something in a completely different scale ... i felt that folds like that, even though i was using a set up to follow, just wouldn't be like that for objects that size ... in my mind anyway ... not the best place at the best of times :lol: ... at least i still have both my ears !! ... :lol: ... please bear with me :music: :heart: :angel:

*Violet*
07-31-2007, 10:39 AM
..... still a student !! ... :)

LavenderFrost
07-31-2007, 11:42 AM
Aw, I did like what you did with the fabric this time. Well, lets see where you take it next.

And thanks for the compliment. Today I'll be doing some glazing myself, and guess what I'm painting... violet.

C_Line
07-31-2007, 03:23 PM
:( ... don't shoot me .... :( ... i do that to myself enough .... i painted it out :eek: .... the more i looked at it, the more unhappy i was with it ... i'm my own worst critic ... what i saw was fabric that would look better with something in a completely different scale ... i felt that folds like that, even though i was using a set up to follow, just wouldn't be like that for objects that size ... in my mind anyway ... not the best place at the best of times :lol: ... at least i still have both my ears !! ... :lol: ... please bear with me :music: :heart: :angel:

Violet, it's YOUR painting that you must be comfortable with. I'm sure you will get it just where you think it needs to be and will be satisfied. Isn't that the nice thing about acrylics? Hope to see your update soon.

Lady Carol
07-31-2007, 03:51 PM
i painted it out :eek:
You can always paint it back in :evil: just kidding :D

Seriously it is your painting. Heck you can paint the whole lot out if you wanted to or include an apple tree. Don't sweat it.

*Violet*
07-31-2007, 04:46 PM
thanks ladies !! ... i *will* paint something back in but will try to do it less impatiently .... more methodically .... relaxed .... wonder if i'll be in that state once i return from seeing *the animals* live in concert tonite !! ... i doubt it ... :lol: ... perhaps tomorrow tho !! ... again, thx for understanding as only artists could ... :heart:

oops ... lavender... what are you glazing violet???

Lady Carol
07-31-2007, 04:58 PM
Deep breath, Violet (inhale......exhale.....inhale....exhale. Repeat as necessary). It will all turn out OK.

*Violet*
07-31-2007, 05:07 PM
:lol:

laudesan
07-31-2007, 08:06 PM
ok..................... so what does it look like now? ;)

You should try watercolours, once its the paint is down it is down lol..

LavenderFrost
07-31-2007, 10:27 PM
I can't imagine not painting impatiently, lol.

I was glazing "Violet", of course.:p I'll be posting in the purple invitation thread again. I don't know if I would actually say I was glazing though. Felt more like I was just painting over. I guess the underpainting does help a bit, but I don't think I'm doing it right. It will be interesting to see how you like the colouring part.

*Violet*
07-31-2007, 11:53 PM
ok..................... so what does it look like now? ;)

You should try watercolours, once its the paint is down it is down lol..

:lol: .... watercolours ... :lol: ... i'm avoiding them like the plague !! ....

and it looks real plain at the moment ... while i ponder it ...

I can't imagine not painting impatiently, lol.

me neither !! ... :lol: .... but i'll try ...

I was glazing "Violet", of course.:p I'll be posting in the purple invitation thread again. I don't know if I would actually say I was glazing though. Felt more like I was just painting over. I guess the underpainting does help a bit, but I don't think I'm doing it right. It will be interesting to see how you like the colouring part.

i look forward to seeing yours glazing/painting over ... and i'll be sure to let you know how i like it !! ...:)

concert was great! ... band members so old tho !! ... :lol: ... mind you people watching was very interesting ... gray haired hippies in tie died shirts ... headbands ... dancing and singing their hearts out .... *time warp* ... with a few changes :)

LavenderFrost
08-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Glad you had a good time. And now we'll be impatiently waiting for your progress. :lol:

Just kidding, no pressure.

*Violet*
08-06-2007, 10:09 PM
sorry for the lag ... here's the underpainting where it's gonna stay ... i think the fabric is the best this time .... next will be colour ... :)http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2007/46454-cherries_wip_5_416.496.jpg

laudesan
08-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Don't cha just love acrylics :D

I do LOVE that fabric now it is elegant and takes nothing away from the star of the show.

Looking forward tot he colour! ;)

Goewyn
08-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Beautiful! I was afraid you had painted out the entire pot as well and was like, "Nooooo....! " But this is good. Looking forward to the next installment!

-- Linda

PS I'd like to see a tad more weight given to the cherry, maybe a SLIGHT shadow or lip on the front side of it just so it's connected more with the tablecloth. :)

Lady Carol
08-06-2007, 11:10 PM
Oh yes. This is lovely. And it is time to add the colour.

C_Line
08-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Very nice Violet. Can't wait to see it with color, although I like it this way too.

edtree
08-07-2007, 09:22 AM
:wave: Hi Violet!

This has got to be one of the most exquisite underpaintings I've ever seen! I couldn't quit looking at it for the longest time. Everything about it is so right. It will make an outstanding finished work. Please post often as you paint this. I will be paying close attention! :D

Elizabeth

*Violet*
08-07-2007, 09:58 AM
well ... jj ... i can't honestly say at this point that i *love* acrylics !! ...:lol: ... but i'm *trying* to !! ... :)

sorry for the fright linda ... :) ... i will check out that shadow as suggested

yep, carol ... time for colour ... i know ya's said i should exude more confidence, but i'll admit i'm kinda scared of ruining this ... perhaps i'll experiment with glazing with colour on something else first to see how it applies ... how it dries ... how layers work over each other ... etc ... i really don't wanna ruin it ...

thank you very much, celeste ... i like it at this stage too ... and i do want to see it in colour too ...

ellizabeth ... thank you soooo much for your comments and confidence in me !! ... i certainly will post some steps in this next process as i want to have the door open for any and all comments and advice over the process ...

i am wondering now if i should do a clear glazing over it all first so that the white has glazing on it too? ... or would i apply thin colour over everything only to reapply the white highlights ? .... any other hints about the application process ? ... i really really appreciate the clarification on ratios of glazing to paint already provided !!! :):):)

1100ww
08-07-2007, 02:00 PM
looking very nice.

*Violet*
08-11-2007, 05:53 AM
thank you 1100ww ...

*Violet*
08-11-2007, 05:55 AM
and here's where i'm at .... c&c welcomed !!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2007/46454-cherries_wip_6_412x494.JPG

laudesan
08-11-2007, 07:22 AM
Oh wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger Evans
08-11-2007, 08:30 AM
I've been watching silently, waiting on the color. It was worth the wait. Excellent work.

Roger

Marge Wms
08-11-2007, 09:13 AM
Hi, Violet! I just "tuned in" to this site for the first time and have looked at it from the first post! You are one amazing artist! Take a bow!

Your last posting is gorgeous, whether or not you do anything more!

Bing cherries are my favorite fruit as I sat in the top of a Bing cherry tree as a kid and stuffed my face!!!! You have created them so well that I'm hungry for a repeat of climbing that tree and eating my fill of them again!

But, alas, my tree climbing days are over now and the cherry tree is gone too.... Thanks for the spin down memory lane... Marge

idcrisis55
08-11-2007, 09:22 AM
Beautiful work Violet. Well done!

edtree
08-11-2007, 10:30 AM
:wave: WoW Violet! Just like with the underpainting, I couldn't quit looking at it! Awesome! And just think, you're not even done yet! :lol:

Still watching...

Elizabeth

LavenderFrost
08-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Ooooh, aaaahhh. Looks wonderful. So how did you like glazing?

*Violet*
08-11-2007, 02:09 PM
omg !! ... i didn't expect this response !! ... all of you are so very kind !!! :heart: .... maybe i've been looking at it and working at it too long ... i still think the fabric could look better but don't know how to do that .... glaze colour into the shadows? ... i've done nothing to the background yet and wonder if it's too drab ... backgrounds confound me ... would it benefit from subtle colour being glazed into it? ... or would a varnish just finish it off? ... i'm so new at this that everything is an experiment and i don't know what is enough.... i am blown away by your responses and you've truly made my day ... all of you !! ... thank you *all* so very much !! ...:grouphug: ... should i just call it done and move on now? ... or what steps would finish this off better? ... oh yes ... glazing? ... it was neat ... definitely something to keep on exploring ... maybe i'm a bugger for punishment but i think it would be interesting to try out again on a subject with more colour ... but i think i'll wait a bit !! ... :lol: ... it sure is a long process ... at least for me !!

Café LoLa
08-11-2007, 04:17 PM
I think the background is fine. You could take the complementary of the red in the cherry and glaze very thinly on the background, to give it some oomphf. Or you can just leave it as is, and varnish it - sometimes finishing it with a varnish will give it an oomphf as well.

edtree
08-11-2007, 07:35 PM
:wave: Violet...if this were mine, I'd be very afraid to do more, but then, this is way beyond my level. I really like the dark background; it makes the pitcher and cherries stand out nicely.

This painting is a masterpiece! You should be very proud and you most certainly deserve every single word of praise you've received. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Elizabeth

*Violet*
08-11-2007, 09:27 PM
thank you for the tip laurie ... i wouldn't have thought of that ... i must give it some thought ... and muster up some bravery :lol: .... :)

elizabeth ... you're very sweet ... i doubt very much that this is beyond your level ... if you gave it a shot i'm sure you'd do wonderfully ... you know your values and shapes as i've seen your work ... and that's what this is all about ... thank you very much though for your lovely input ... :heart:

HOllyLL
08-11-2007, 10:05 PM
WOW WOW WOW..I'm having fun watching yOu have fun..this is a great painting....the only "suggestion", once suggested to me w/a painting I did on a dark background, would be to maybe add a slight touch of dark red in the far left corner...just to ground the red to the background....I took this advice on 2 of my paintings, and I think they came out better (see shaken, not stirred, and bridge lights..if you wish)... Only thing is, I have a more 'painterly' background than you...so not sure if you care to incorporate more texture?..just some thoughts!

anyways..it's BEAUTIFUL as is!! What'cha gonna do next??

Lady Carol
08-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah :clap: :clap: :clap: Fabulous finish.

*Violet*
08-11-2007, 10:21 PM
thank you, hollyll ... i'm feeling *something* should be subtly done to the background before varnishing and i surely appreciate your input !! ... next?? ... :lol: ... i don't know !! ... i never know !! ... :lol: ...

thank you muchly, carol ... !!!

LavenderFrost
08-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Yes, it's a long process, which is why I can't do it. :lol:

Maybe it's just me, but I like everything the way it is.

*Violet*
08-16-2007, 01:45 AM
done .... i think .... :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2007/46454-cherries_wip_7_412x492.JPG
with apologies if you preferred the previous fabric ... i'm a case .... i know .... :o

Georgi
08-16-2007, 03:12 AM
How wonderful!

C_Line
08-16-2007, 07:42 AM
Just gorgeous - good choice on the fabric, now the focal point keeps the show.

idcrisis55
08-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Lovely painting and good work, Violet. I did prefer the folds in the cloth but you are the artist and it is your vision that must remain true. :)

HOllyLL
08-16-2007, 11:02 AM
frame it up! I really prefer this flatter fabric, and I like how you added some warmth to the white fabric....really a nice painting!!

LavenderFrost
08-16-2007, 12:02 PM
It's still good. And yes, it's done! Wonderful!
Can't wait to see what you do next.

laudesan
08-16-2007, 11:01 PM
I am smiling at you changing the cloth again..:D

Lovely finish. :thumbsup:

Lady Carol
08-17-2007, 08:50 AM
Bravo :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mary Brigid
08-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Wow Violet. What an artisti you are . This is just stunning. You should be very proud of yourself :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mary Brigid

*Violet*
08-25-2007, 01:18 AM
last post .... honest !! ... :lol: .... i did a touch-up to warm the far back corner of the fabric (and elsewhere, here and there, too) to address colour issues i had with it having erred with a little glazing that mightn't have been too easy to see on my last posting but comparing this with it i think you'll see the difference .... i also glazed in some red and even green into the black but it's hardly noticeable ... and i touched up the cherry a bit more .... AND I SIGNED IT !!! .... :):):) ... and i have one coat of matt varnish on it too and will put one more on before framing .... and btw .... it's 9.5" x 11.5" (10"x12" gessoed masonite)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2007/46454-signed_cherries_413x492.JPG

and many many thanks for following along with this and providing support and advice and so many lovely comments !!! ... :grouphug: to all !!!! .... :)

LavenderFrost
08-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Well, I'm glad it is signed and varnished, because it can't get any better.

*Violet*
10-15-2007, 09:06 PM
thank you so very much again to everyone who followed this wip and helped me out with your comments, suggestions, support and encouragement !!!

here it is once more ..... framed .... and with an award !! .... :) :) :) :)

Best in Show of the Niagara District Art Association's 51st Juried Art Show !!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2007/46454-Creamer_with_Cherries_with_award_450x587.jpg
- should i have put it in a new post of it's very own????

edtree
10-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Oh Violet...this is wonderful! Congratulations!!!! The honor is so very well deserved! :clap: :clap: :clap: (Not too late to put in a thread of it's own).:D

Elizabeth

lilbelle
10-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Congratulations Violet!! This turned out fantastic and it looks marvelous in the frame!

nithya_swamy
10-16-2007, 01:31 AM
Wow! totally deserving, congratulations!:)

LavenderFrost
10-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Very proud of you. Of course, that painting was an obvious winner.

1100ww
10-16-2007, 03:48 PM
Congratulations--outstanding work.

ponting
10-16-2007, 08:19 PM
ABSOLUTELY AWESOME JOB!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Violet this it the best rendition of this photo that I have seen yet and it more than deserved the award it received!! WOW! Best in the show!! Can't go much better than that! I enjoyed the thought process that went into it as much as seeing the end result. Thank you for the photo credit also. Cheers, Dianna :cat:

Lulu
10-17-2007, 04:00 AM
wonderful!!!:clap::clap::clap:
have just read thru all the pages - what a thrill to win such a prize, I am not surprised at all, it's fantastic!!!

Charlie's Mum
01-21-2008, 11:35 AM
WEll Violet, I'm so glad I went a-searching for this thread so I could comment!
I'm very sorry I missed all this excitement first time round :(

It's an excellent piece of painting - and well-deserved the Best in Show.
I know the process was maybe tedious at times - but well worth all the effort.
Well done indeed!

*Violet*
01-21-2008, 05:25 PM
oh my !! ... have i been tardy or what?? .... thank you all sooooooo much !! ... you guys are the best !! .... this is for all of you !!! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2007/34523-34523-0_grouphug.gif

if only it were so well received in real life ............

HoydenDesigns
01-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Absolutely wonderful! I missed it first time around, but was amazed while looking through it just now. Thank you for sharing! And congrats on the award!!!